My WA22 tube setup was pretty much a stand in for my balanced B22 but the B22 had better staging and resolution so I sold the WA22.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison / Review: A tale of two flagships – T1 vs HD800 Last post on Yesterday at 12:35 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Personal Review on the Sennheiser ie80 Last post on 11/15/14 at 4:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- HD800 plus top-notch head amp OR Stax SR-007mk2 & Stax Energiser? Last post on 11/12/14 at 9:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Wine Pairings Last post on 11/8/14 at 9:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can I wash my Sennheiser HD800 earpads? Last post on 11/9/14 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
This is my first review here. Previously owned Beyerdynamic DT 770 , Audio-Technica m20, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Stil have a pair of AKG k450. I exchanged Sennheiser Momentum on-ear for those...
Let’s get started :- BRAINWAVZ S0: Hitting the sweet spot This time round, BRAINWAVZ have a new earphone and it seems to be a subordinate of the S5. It seems like the folks over...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Team HD800 challenge! - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 doesn't compete against EC 2A3 or WA5.
I like both the WA5 and EC 2A3. The WA5 is slightly more tubey, but in a good euphonic way. It's not syrupy mush. The WA5 + PWD gave me goosebumps. The EC 2A3 should be thought of well implemented solid-state with only the smallest hint of "tubeyness", but with the advantages of tubes: The WA5 and 2A3 have expanded soundstage and openness, and micro-detail retrieval and micro-dynamics which I have not heard in any solid-state amp. YMMV.
Edited by purrin - 1/1/13 at 4:35pm
Yea, but the BA sound more towards a SS amp, where the WA5 sounds more towards tubes. I'm looking for more of detailed resolution with the lush tube sound.
I think you need to audition the Stratus.
BHA-1 is excellent with 800s, and it's a great value at the price point--but only if you're running it balanced. What comes out of the SE output is dark and closed-in by comparison. Would you eat McDonald's when In-n-Out is across the street?
Before your Stratus purchase did you get a chance to compare it with the:
Or any others?
Edited by preproman - 1/2/13 at 8:41am
I believe third eye has heard EC amps in meet settings and still chose and prefers the Stratus. Unfortunately, a lot of the subtlety of what EC amps do so well, (microdetails and soundstaging) are hard to discern in a meet environment. I still really look forward to hearing the Stratus as it seems it would be right up my alley.
I think he mentioned earlier that he heard it with the EC BA and S7. A lot of it comes down to preference. On technicalities the BA stomps pretty much everything DHT.
The BHA-1 sounding better balanced comes up often but it's just the single ended output run though the same amp a second time at unity gain so aside from MOAR POWER, the sound should be similar, no?
I have really enjoyed my phonitor. The ability to control the center image helps with long term listening. I am the type that gets easily distracted by sound that either sounds like it is coming from inside my head or when vocals don't have a correct center. The hd800s are already really good at presenting correct center vocals, but the phonitor helps make everything sound right for long term listening. The sound quality is also excellent, but I'm sure others will argue that other amps might have a better sound. Personally I will trade a tiny bit of sound quality for "correct" imaging.
Best fast food burger ever. California, Arizona, Nevada only but I think they will finally start expanding further.
Better than Fat Burger?
- Team HD800 challenge!
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 21 seconds ago
- › Sieveking Sound Headphone Stand - Makassar 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics,... 8 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced - updated with... 11 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › VSONIC GR07 by nikhilthecupid
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › Fischer Audio Consonance V2 by fonzler
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)