My WA22 tube setup was pretty much a stand in for my balanced B22 but the B22 had better staging and resolution so I sold the WA22.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 1/19/17 at 1:55pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 6/7/16 at 7:39pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 12/1/16 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 8/23/15 at 5:45am in Headphones (full-size)
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDAC2Price: $349 at amazon.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob.Power Connector: USB A, USB BBattery Life: N/AInputs: 1x USB...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: HRT Model: microStreamer Price: $169 at amazon.com Volume Control: Digitally-activated analog attenuator, no volume control on unit itself.Power Connector: USB, mini...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDSDPrice: $499 at musicdirect.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob (On/Off)Power Connector: USB 3.0 Male, USB 3.0...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: Chord Electronics Limited U.K.Model: MojoPrice: $599 at moon-audio.com Volume Control: One “+” and one “-” volume ball button.Power Connector: USB, Micro BBattery Life:...
*This review comes from my Portable Amp / Dac Shootout.Posted as a reference for users. For the full review, see: [[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: Resonessence LabsModel: CONCERO HPPrice: $850...
Team HD800 challenge! - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 doesn't compete against EC 2A3 or WA5.
I like both the WA5 and EC 2A3. The WA5 is slightly more tubey, but in a good euphonic way. It's not syrupy mush. The WA5 + PWD gave me goosebumps. The EC 2A3 should be thought of well implemented solid-state with only the smallest hint of "tubeyness", but with the advantages of tubes: The WA5 and 2A3 have expanded soundstage and openness, and micro-detail retrieval and micro-dynamics which I have not heard in any solid-state amp. YMMV.
Edited by purrin - 1/1/13 at 4:35pm
Yea, but the BA sound more towards a SS amp, where the WA5 sounds more towards tubes. I'm looking for more of detailed resolution with the lush tube sound.
I think you need to audition the Stratus.
BHA-1 is excellent with 800s, and it's a great value at the price point--but only if you're running it balanced. What comes out of the SE output is dark and closed-in by comparison. Would you eat McDonald's when In-n-Out is across the street?
Before your Stratus purchase did you get a chance to compare it with the:
Or any others?
Edited by preproman - 1/2/13 at 8:41am
I believe third eye has heard EC amps in meet settings and still chose and prefers the Stratus. Unfortunately, a lot of the subtlety of what EC amps do so well, (microdetails and soundstaging) are hard to discern in a meet environment. I still really look forward to hearing the Stratus as it seems it would be right up my alley.
I think he mentioned earlier that he heard it with the EC BA and S7. A lot of it comes down to preference. On technicalities the BA stomps pretty much everything DHT.
The BHA-1 sounding better balanced comes up often but it's just the single ended output run though the same amp a second time at unity gain so aside from MOAR POWER, the sound should be similar, no?
I have really enjoyed my phonitor. The ability to control the center image helps with long term listening. I am the type that gets easily distracted by sound that either sounds like it is coming from inside my head or when vocals don't have a correct center. The hd800s are already really good at presenting correct center vocals, but the phonitor helps make everything sound right for long term listening. The sound quality is also excellent, but I'm sure others will argue that other amps might have a better sound. Personally I will trade a tiny bit of sound quality for "correct" imaging.
Best fast food burger ever. California, Arizona, Nevada only but I think they will finally start expanding further.
Better than Fat Burger?
- Team HD800 challenge!
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone 16 seconds ago
- › LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs ) 39 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 4 minutes ago
- › Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock,... 5 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 5 minutes ago
- › Pittsburgh HeadPhile Meet! 6 minutes ago
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by Sil3nce
- › Focal Elear by ngoshawk
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by GhostPhantom
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Superlux HD-668 B by snapacap
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear