My WA22 tube setup was pretty much a stand in for my balanced B22 but the B22 had better staging and resolution so I sold the WA22.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD800 Last post on Yesterday at 3:56 pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Two Germans for HD800? Last post on 5/18/13 at 1:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Among HD800 T1 LCD2(rev.2) Last post on 5/15/13 at 7:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-3 non-veiled 9/22/2012 trade for HD800 s/n 14k+ Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:21pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Best value tube amp for Sennheiser HD800 under 2k Last post on Yesterday at 11:28 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Team HD800 challenge! - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
WA22 doesn't compete against EC 2A3 or WA5.
I like both the WA5 and EC 2A3. The WA5 is slightly more tubey, but in a good euphonic way. It's not syrupy mush. The WA5 + PWD gave me goosebumps. The EC 2A3 should be thought of well implemented solid-state with only the smallest hint of "tubeyness", but with the advantages of tubes: The WA5 and 2A3 have expanded soundstage and openness, and micro-detail retrieval and micro-dynamics which I have not heard in any solid-state amp. YMMV.
Edited by purrin - 1/1/13 at 4:35pm
Yea, but the BA sound more towards a SS amp, where the WA5 sounds more towards tubes. I'm looking for more of detailed resolution with the lush tube sound.
I think you need to audition the Stratus.
BHA-1 is excellent with 800s, and it's a great value at the price point--but only if you're running it balanced. What comes out of the SE output is dark and closed-in by comparison. Would you eat McDonald's when In-n-Out is across the street?
Before your Stratus purchase did you get a chance to compare it with the:
Or any others?
Edited by preproman - 1/2/13 at 8:41am
I believe third eye has heard EC amps in meet settings and still chose and prefers the Stratus. Unfortunately, a lot of the subtlety of what EC amps do so well, (microdetails and soundstaging) are hard to discern in a meet environment. I still really look forward to hearing the Stratus as it seems it would be right up my alley.
I think he mentioned earlier that he heard it with the EC BA and S7. A lot of it comes down to preference. On technicalities the BA stomps pretty much everything DHT.
The BHA-1 sounding better balanced comes up often but it's just the single ended output run though the same amp a second time at unity gain so aside from MOAR POWER, the sound should be similar, no?
I have really enjoyed my phonitor. The ability to control the center image helps with long term listening. I am the type that gets easily distracted by sound that either sounds like it is coming from inside my head or when vocals don't have a correct center. The hd800s are already really good at presenting correct center vocals, but the phonitor helps make everything sound right for long term listening. The sound quality is also excellent, but I'm sure others will argue that other amps might have a better sound. Personally I will trade a tiny bit of sound quality for "correct" imaging.
Best fast food burger ever. California, Arizona, Nevada only but I think they will finally start expanding further.
Better than Fat Burger?
- Team HD800 challenge!
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 54 seconds ago
- › [Impression] FiiO E10 1 minute ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Carry cases 7 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 8 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Carry cases 8 minutes ago
- › Starving Student PCB's 8 minutes ago
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe