Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Which IEMs suffer from driver flex?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which IEMs suffer from driver flex?

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 

To be polite, I dislike driver flex in IEMs. I found it annoying and distracting and I can't stand readjusting them.

 

I was wondering if we could make a list of IEMs: for those who feel the same as I do, suffering from driver flex.

 

Current list:

 

ATH-CLK200

Brainwavz M4

Brainwavz m5 copper 

Fischer Audio Silver bullet

Hippo VB

MEE CC51

MEE M6

Monster Pro Copper (Some models)

Monster Tribute

Monster Turbine

Sunrise Xcape

V-moda Vibes (some models)

Xears XE200 Pro

 

Help us to expand it.

Thanks 


Edited by squallkiercosa - 1/8/13 at 9:36am
post #2 of 43

The only IEMs that I've owned which suffered from driver flex have all been Monster IEMs (Pro Copper, MD Tribute and original Turbine).

 

I think the Hippo VB had driver flex too, but it has been too long since I've heard them.

post #3 of 43
I can confirm my Turbines had flex and a pair of Hippo VB here have here as well.
post #4 of 43

I believe it depends on the tips too. I don't have driver flex when using foam tips.

post #5 of 43
I can confirm Hippo VB and FA Silver Bullet definitely have some flex
post #6 of 43

Wouldn't driver flex also be influenced to a degree by the output of your source, and the level the file plays at? I've had driver flex on Denon AH-C710 and Radius DDM1 from some mp3s that just seem to be "loud" irrespective of the actual volume I listen at. Not doubting that Monster IEMs have rubbish drivers, build quality for them is pretty poor generally.

post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

Wouldn't driver flex also be influenced to a degree by the output of your source, and the level the file plays at? I've had driver flex on Denon AH-C710 and Radius DDM1 from some mp3s that just seem to be "loud" irrespective of the actual volume I listen at. Not doubting that Monster IEMs have rubbish drivers, build quality for them is pretty poor generally.

 

Driver flex is actually caused by the (air) pressure placed on the driver when you insert the IEM into your ear.  The air pressure pushes up on the driver and causes that distinct crackling sound :p Many quality drivers have flex BTW, it's not really an assessment of how good the drivers are.  The aforementioned Monster IEMs are actually well respected on Head-Fi and aren't "rubbish".  

post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

Driver flex is actually caused by the (air) pressure placed on the driver when you insert the IEM into your ear.  The air pressure pushes up on the driver and causes that distinct crackling sound :p Many quality drivers have flex BTW, it's not really an assessment of how good the drivers are.  The aforementioned Monster IEMs are actually well respected on Head-Fi and aren't "rubbish".  

So what is the phenomenon of drivers popping while listening to music if not driver flex? Also Monster IEMs are respected by fools who evidently enjoy having to keep sending their faulty product back to Monster for replacement every month. Don't try to school me on Monster, thanks.

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

So what is the phenomenon of drivers popping while listening to music if not driver flex? Also Monster IEMs are respected by fools who evidently enjoy having to keep sending their faulty product back to Monster for replacement every month. Don't try to school me on Monster, thanks.

 

I forget if it was Joker or |ClieOS| that gave the Monster IEMs a good review...  So you say they are fools huh?  I guess I'm a fool too...  I actually enjoyed the Gratitude (still have them too).  

 

Drivers popping while playing music?  Most likely static electricity.  All IEMs can be effected by static electricity, it too is not an indication of a rubbish driver.  If you are getting driver flex while playing music, it actually sounds like the driver isn't working (it shouldn't crackle unless you move the housing around).  The air pressure on the driver constricts it from full movement.  


Edited by tinyman392 - 12/30/12 at 10:08pm
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I forget if it was Joker or |ClieOS| that gave the Monster IEMs a good review...  So you say they are fools huh?  I guess I'm a fool too...  I actually enjoyed the Gratitude (still have them too).  

 

Drivers popping while playing music?  Most likely static electricity.  All IEMs can be effected by static electricity, it too is not an indication of a rubbish driver.  If you are getting driver flex while playing music, it actually sounds like the driver isn't working (it shouldn't crackle unless you move the housing around).  The air pressure on the driver constricts it from full movement.  

It is certainly not static electricity if it happens at the same place in a song every time. You will find that some recordings of some files have strange mastering or reproduce with peaks in weird places, and will cause huge amounts of overload on the driver - but then the IEM works just fine at all other times. As for Joker and |ClieOS| reviews, well I'm not convinced that they don't get a little case of the FOTMs from time to time based on how overrated some of the IEMs they've reviewed and I've heard have been. Especially with certain JVC models.

post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

It is certainly not static electricity if it happens at the same place in a song every time. You will find that some recordings of some files have strange mastering or reproduce with peaks in weird places, and will cause huge amounts of overload on the driver - but then the IEM works just fine at all other times. As for Joker and |ClieOS| reviews, well I'm not convinced that they don't get a little case of the FOTMs from time to time based on how overrated some of the IEMs they've reviewed and I've heard have been. Especially with certain JVC models.

 

Distortion?  Maybe it's in the recording (less likely, but possible).  It's not flex though.  

post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

Distortion?  Maybe it's in the recording (less likely, but possible).  It's not flex though.  

It is definitely flex, happens in some of my IEMs but not others so is not in the recording, and is a loud 'pop' that definitely originates from the driver being overloaded. 

post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

It is definitely flex, happens in some of my IEMs but not others so is not in the recording, and is a loud 'pop' that definitely originates from the driver being overloaded. 

 

I'd say distortion (IEMs do have distortion)...  I don't think you understand what driver flex is...  Driver flex is caused by air pressure in your ear.  It prevents the driver from moving (EG, keeps it in a flexed position).  The real only way to force a popping noise (be the same at the same point in the song) with driver flex is to move the driver at the precise time with precise movement at the same point in the song every time...  The chances of that actually happening, well, you should play the lottery (better odds) :p  Unless you can think of any other way for driver flex to occur... What IEM are you using?  


Edited by tinyman392 - 12/30/12 at 10:35pm
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I'd say distortion (IEMs do have distortion)...  I don't think you understand what driver flex is...  Driver flex is caused by air pressure in your ear.  It prevents the driver from moving (EG, keeps it in a flexed position).  What IEM are you using?  

I know what distortion sounds like, it is not distortion. Like I said, it has happened with Denon AH-C710, Radius DDM1, JVC HA-FXT90. loud popping sound from the driver, not distortion from volume or excessive preamp gain. Only happens with dynamic drivers, not with BA drivers. 


Edited by phntmsmshr - 12/30/12 at 10:38pm
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

I know what distortion sounds like, it is not distortion. Like I said, it has happened with Denon AH-C710, Radius DDM1, JVC HA-FXT90. loud popping sound from the driver, not distortion from volume or excessive preamp gain. Only happens with dynamic drivers, not with BA drivers. 

 

What song are you listening too?  How'd you get it (if ripped, what source: CD, analog, etc).  This is starting to intrigue me...  It's not flex...  Driver flex has a different cause.  It might be the tuning of the drivers itself (EG, the "pop" is in the song; may be something else in general, the IEMs are reproducing it as a pop; the frequency of the pop may not be within the range for a BA to reproduce).  

 

EDIT: I have a feeling it's the bass-focused signature that's creating it as all the dynamics you listed above have been described as bass heavy (except for the C710, I haven't read up on them).


Edited by tinyman392 - 12/30/12 at 10:45pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Which IEMs suffer from driver flex?