Little backstory first. I got into higher end headphone listening about 9 years ago starting with the cheapo Koss headphones everyone here recommends so much moving on from there to the Grado SR60 and finally to the Senn. HD600's. By that point it was clear I needed to start thinking of a higher quality source then what I was using at the time. Some kind of giant Sony combo. cd changer from way long ago. Did some research here and came to the conclusion with a lot of help that the Music Hall CD25 was a good starting point for someone at the stage of the game I was at. After settling on my source I started dabbling in amps from an airhead to a maxed out Dynahi. Along the way trying out several different headphones I think most here would consider Mid Fi. Along the way I've scaled back on the amps finally settling on my current Schitt Lyr and keeping the HD600's while selling off the rest. Each upgrade I've made I've settled with for several years and I'm not the type to spend money on this stuff hastily which leads me to my question. I wonder if before I move up any further along the headphone food chain or amp food chain for that matter, now may be the time to start thinking about upgrading to a better source. I've been using this same CD player for about 8 years and never once did I think about seriously upgrading which is rather silly when I think about it. Some of the purchases I've made over the years probably could of been served better with something better as a source. So here I am wanting to upgrade to better headphones but thinking if I do my source will hold them back. So hoping for some recommendations on what would be a good next step for a source. Budget would be no more then $2000. As far as features go I only really want or need a CD player. If it has the ability to play other higher Def. material that is an added bonus but I want something that will be good with CD's. Hopefully this post is coherent enough for you to all understand where I'm coming from and can respond accordingly. Cheers and thanks for any suggestions.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser Momentum Review: Sennheiser Momentum vs HD650 vs PX360 (Updated! 4/4/13) Last post on 4/8/13 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
Where to go from here...?
I recently had a chance to audition the newer Oppo BDP-105: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/
The sound was very neutral, detailed, and dynamic to my ears; the player matched or bested all other optical media sources that I have heard. The feature list is extensive and includes numerous input sources, balanced output, and even a headphone amp! (A respectable 187mW into 32 ohms). Check out the link above for a full list of features, MSRP is around $1199
- Where to go from here...?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread,... 6 seconds ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with crazy low prices (including... 39 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 52 seconds ago
- › Official Los Angeles Regional Summer Meet - Saturday, July 20, 2013... 52 seconds ago
- › Anedio D2 DAC release 1 minute ago
- › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3 1 minute ago
- › Anyone else getting distortion in FXZ 200? 2 minutes ago
- › The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - No affiliate links... 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe