or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD - Page 4

post #46 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

The wires are silver plated copper. I bought it off the eBay user navships way back. It's cheap stuff and works nicely. 

 

I bought heaps from him recently, but a lot of it is really stiff and has heaps of microphonic issues. Even gentle taps are incredibly loud.

 

Which do you find is best?

post #47 of 268
Thread Starter 

Shoot, I don't know by mm. Here's a link to the user Navships on eBay. Most of the wires that are wrapped in a circle are good for audio. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

post #48 of 268

So I'm planning on re-cabling (with detachable cable) my dt770's soon and i'm hoping someone can give me some advice here.

I'll be using a 3-pin mini xlr connector like this: http://tinyurl.com/pre67k9

and either order a custom made cable from here: http://tinyurl.com/pk2udzw

or order some of this cable and do it myself: http://tinyurl.com/nqpphbd

and also some of this for the internal wiring and the bridge from the left to right driver: http://tinyurl.com/p2vfwx3

 

So is that orange cable from navships a good choice to use as headphone cable? it's thinner than some headphone cables but the wire itself is 22AWG which I think is good (not entirely sure though?) and it's also oxygen-free, silver plated copper.

As someone who's never built my own headphone cable, is it difficult to do? I've got some experience with soldering and electronics (basics) so I'm pretty confident I can pull it off. anything I should be aware of when doing this?

If I make the cable myself, I'll order these as well: http://tinyurl.com/pl6tgqh, http://tinyurl.com/o3cjhxy

I guess the main question is, should I rather make the cable myself or order a ready made one?

post #49 of 268
Thread Starter 

I wouldn't use that wire, it's going to be super stiff. I suggest using Mogami w2893 or Canare L-4E6S cable if you're wanting pre-sleeved wire. They both have 4 wires inside, and I bleieve both are 4x26awg. Other than that, all your supplies look awesome. Good luck with the mod and post some pictures here of them when you're finished!

 

I actually made a cable this morning for my Denon AH-D2000 that is terminated to dual Mini XLRs, both the Rean's that you linked. I also used the Mogami w2893 that I referred to earlier.

 

 

 


Edited by PETEREK - 1/24/14 at 8:04am
post #50 of 268

That looks great!

post #51 of 268

Wow, that cable looks very cool. Still doing some final deciding on what to order but I'll definitely post up some pics when it's done. Only got these headphones recently but as with many things, the itch to start modding them comes on strong :D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

I wouldn't use that wire, it's going to be super stiff. I suggest using Mogami w2893 or Canare L-4E6S cable if you're wanting pre-sleeved wire. They both have 4 wires inside, and I bleieve both are 4x26awg. Other than that, all your supplies look awesome. Good luck with the mod and post some pictures here of them when you're finished!

 

I actually made a cable this morning for my Denon AH-D2000 that is terminated to dual Mini XLRs, both the Rean's that you linked. I also used the Mogami w2893 that I referred to earlier.

 

 

 

post #52 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcan199 View Post
Wow, that cable looks very cool. Still doing some final deciding on what to order but I'll definitely post up some pics when it's done. Only got these headphones recently but as with many things, the itch to start modding them comes on strong :D

Totally understand that itch feeling. I don't even have any pictures of those Denon unmodded, it didn't last long before I was tearing into them. 

Here's a link to the Mogami w2893. I really urge you to give it a try. It's super flexbile and easy to work with, there are 4 wires and they're all different colors so there's no need for a multimeter.

 

Mogami w2893, super cheap at $0.82/foot: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html

post #53 of 268

Just ordered the Mogami cable and all conectors needed from redco.com :biggrin:

Also ordered some Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver Solder from Ebay.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

Totally understand that itch feeling. I don't even have any pictures of those Denon unmodded, it didn't last long before I was tearing into them. 

Here's a link to the Mogami w2893. I really urge you to give it a try. It's super flexbile and easy to work with, there are 4 wires and they're all different colors so there's no need for a multimeter.

 

Mogami w2893, super cheap at $0.82/foot: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html

post #54 of 268
Ok, i just found this post since i just have the Beyer DT770 Pro 32 in and love them, but the cable is the only thing that i want to change. Find your mod amazing and considering (heck, i only have it for a couple of days!!) to do this myself. Since i have 2 left hands it's gonna be sweaty hands and finding some balls to open it up and do this.

Only issue i have is that i live in the Netherlands and we don't have Radioshack over here, so i must try do find another place to order my stuff. Found this plug online but don't know if it will fit, so what do you guys think?

And what is a good jack-cable to use afterwards with a working remote and mic for my headphone?
Edited by Rosso - 1/26/14 at 11:12pm
post #55 of 268

Ok, couldn't wait so bought the plug and opened up my Beyer and it seems to have enough space. Everything done and it works perfect. The plug i used is a very narrow fit and the connections needed to being bend a little to fit everything in. The space on the outside i closed with some anti-slip foam i had left. Thnx for the mod, now the Beyer is even more awesome!


Edited by Rosso - 1/27/14 at 9:14am
post #56 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

Totally understand that itch feeling. I don't even have any pictures of those Denon unmodded, it didn't last long before I was tearing into them. 
Here's a link to the Mogami w2893. I really urge you to give it a try. It's super flexbile and easy to work with, there are 4 wires and they're all different colors so there's no need for a multimeter.

Mogami w2893, super cheap at $0.82/foot: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html

A little late to the game but, how do you like those Denon? I'm in the market for some close back with good isolation.
post #57 of 268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post


A little late to the game but, how do you like those Denon? I'm in the market for some close back with good isolation.

They are awesome. They're a big step up from the DT770. I wouldn't really say they isolate well though, they are a "closed can" but there is a small gap around the cups that allows sound leak. It's supposed to be there, but people still say they're closed. I would call them semi-closed. My girlfriend can hear what I'm listening to across the room when I use them. If sound leak isn't a big deal to you, I say get them, they sound amazing. I can't hear anything from the outside world when I use mine. 

post #58 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

They are awesome. They're a big step up from the DT770. I wouldn't really say they isolate well though, they are a "closed can" but there is a small gap around the cups that allows sound leak. It's supposed to be there, but people still say they're closed. I would call them semi-closed. My girlfriend can hear what I'm listening to across the room when I use them. If sound leak isn't a big deal to you, I say get them, they sound amazing. I can't hear anything from the outside world when I use mine. 

I'm gonna try to audition them somewhere. Thank you for the comments.
post #59 of 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfunk View Post
 

I have found these mini XLR sockets that fit really nicely in the DT770 / 880...

http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=2416&cat=616&page=1

 

How did you paint these? I just got some of these myself and am looking into doing some of this stuff

post #60 of 268

Hey Casper,

 

How flexible is that Canare L-4E6S? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD