Originally Posted by eargasmo22
Do you mean that it is not good to invariably use my headphones with the 02 in low battery?
Not good? It's safe, just not recommended for long durations. There is no chance of damage unless you allow the amp to cycle on/off long enough to simulate clipped music playback. This would take quite a long time--several minutes or even hours. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Consider this behavior O2's way of providing low-battery-indication.
We test thousands of O2's per year, and thousands of customers make longer use of the amp. It's completely safe to operate O2. Simply turn the amp off or connect its AC adapter when its batteries are too low for normal playback.
You'll find a suggestion in O2's instructions guide to turn the amp off when batteries are too low for playback. This statement exists because 1 in the past 10,000 customers fell asleep while his new O2 was running on battery power. After more than an hour of on/off transients, his headphones had overheated. JDS Labs replaced this guy's AKG's, and added a cautionary statement to the instructions guide. Solution: Keep O2 plugged into AC when you step away, or turn it off to avoid neglect.