Is there any difference in sound quality between the two, wondering which player to use. I don't have spotify premium if that matters.
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 1/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 1/6/13 at 1:27pm in Computer Audio
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Foobar vs. Spotify?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Well, spotify is a streaming service too, so if you don't have local files, then i guess i would go with spotify, although if you don't have premium the sound quality isn't that great. Also, spotify can't play flac. If you aren't streaming, then i would definitely recommend foobar over spotify.
I have not tried Foobar, however I have used Spotify.
I owned a subscription to the Spotify Premium, and I was not disappointed. However I recently cancelled my subscription to Spotify and purchased a premium subscription to MOG, a similar music streaming service. Everything is streamed and downloaded in 328 kb/s. Although Spotify claims the same, some believe parts of their library streams at 128 or 160 kb/s. Most people that compare the two on this site generally choose MOG, based on audio quality alone. The user interface is poor compared to Spotify, but it is worth it in my opinion.
They are very, very similar. Of course a few differences here and there.
For example: MOG has Pink Floyd, while Spotify does not. I have heard Spotify has some dubstep that MOG is missing, etc...
What's the streaming quality:
How to see the actual value:
And according to this article, Spotify has 99% of their catalog at 320 kbps:
Edited by pepemosca - 4/27/13 at 8:24am
I use Spotify premium at 320 kpbs and the quality is good.
The best reason for utilizing Spotify or any other streaming service though is music discovery.
When you can type in almost any band name and listen to something, you will find yourself trying a much wider variety of music.
For example, it's easy to follow the "what are you listening to right now" thread and sample what other people are recommending. 80% of the time you may hate it, but 20% of time you'll find a gem.
- Foobar vs. Spotify?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 second ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 22 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 36 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 47 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 50 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 3 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)