Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard - Page 9

post #121 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

 

Well, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these. Personally I like the general idea and attitude of Schiit as a company here in the US, so I didn't do that much looking around when I got my Asgard.

 

It's a bit hard to express, but in my mind the Magni is a good stepping stone, a good way to find out if you like solid state (and Schiit in general). However, I don't really see it as a destination, which (sort of surprisingly) I actually think the Asgard is more of, even at its price. Sure, there are lots of better and more expensive amps out there, but even having gotten to listen to a lot of them there hasn't been anything that I've heard that I felt like I really wanted/needed compared to how well the Asgard already performs (with my cans and ears, standard disclaimer and all that).

 

Still, to reiterate, they're all good amps. And do keep in mind that Asgard was my first amp; I've been to a number of meets now and heard some stellar equipment, but part of my love for the Asgard is certainly just because it's what I got first and is what I'm used to.

Excellent....thanks! Strong endorsement.

post #122 of 255

The magni is my first real headphone amp and I have to say, so far I love it! I've dabbled before in DACs but never an amp and boy what a difference it makes.

post #123 of 255

Thanks-I've ordered the Asgard 2! I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'm holding off on a DAC for now. Debating the Modi or the Billfrost-any thoughts between the two other than 2.5 price difference!

post #124 of 255
Thread Starter 

Glad I could help!

 

As far as DACs, I would say that if this is your first DAC and you only need USB I'd probably just go with the Modi. Bifrost is (a little) better and more refined especially in the highs, but for USB only you're definitely already way into diminishing returns territory. Of course, that's sort of what Head-Fi is all about, so ultimately it's up to you, but Modi is certainly quite good for its price.

post #125 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

Glad I could help!

 

As far as DACs, I would say that if this is your first DAC and you only need USB I'd probably just go with the Modi. Bifrost is (a little) better and more refined especially in the highs, but for USB only you're definitely already way into diminishing returns territory. Of course, that's sort of what Head-Fi is all about, so ultimately it's up to you, but Modi is certainly quite good for its price.

That is SUPER helpful. That's where I've been leaning. I'm saving for a potential second can purchase-couple months down the road (thinking HE 400 or 500) and the Billfrost would set me back a few 100. And, actually, I don't do a lot of listening on a computer. I do most of my HP listening via MP3 (where of course all of this is a mute point) and dedicated CD listening. However, I'm going to investigate some streaming options so that could change normal_smile%20.gif

 

Cheers!


Edited by markm1 - 2/14/13 at 11:36am
post #126 of 255

Does anyone have an opinion on pairing up the Asgard and the Modi? Or perhaps the Bifrost and the Magni?

 

And I feel like sneaking in the Lyr....what about the Lyr and Modi together? 

post #127 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAudio View Post


I think Schiit needs to address this volume control issue with the Magni.  It greatly reduces the usability of the amp IMHO.  A great product otherwise.

I just purchased my first dedicated amp-Asgard 2 still on back order. I'm debating the Modi/Billfrost or a different brand. Given that my Grados are tolerable straight into my computer HP jack w/ generic soundcard and my computer isn't my main source, the Modi's pricing is pretty hard to resist.

 

Still, it would be nice to listen to a Modi vs Billfrost w/ an Asg and see if there is a $2-300 difference...choices, choices...

 

I guess after the HP, amp and upgrading some stereo equipment that I'm purchasing, I'm not rushing to spent hundreds on a DAC...good choice, bad choice? Will I regret saving a few hundred in a year?

post #128 of 255
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I just purchased my first dedicated amp-Asgard 2 still on back order. I'm debating the Modi/Billfrost or a different brand. Given that my Grados are tolerable straight into my computer HP jack w/ generic soundcard and my computer isn't my main source, the Modi's pricing is pretty hard to resist.

Still, it would be nice to listen to a Modi vs Billfrost w/ an Asg and see if there is a $2-300 difference...choices, choices...

I guess after the HP, amp and upgrading some stereo equipment that I'm purchasing, I'm not rushing to spent hundreds on a DAC...good choice, bad choice? Will I regret saving a few hundred in a year?

If you're only going to use it with your computer through USB then I'd just go for the Modi. The Bifrost does sound better, but unless you have them side by side you're not going to notice, it's not like the Modi sounds bad.
post #129 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToInfinity View Post

Does anyone have an opinion on pairing up the Asgard and the Modi? Or perhaps the Bifrost and the Magni?

 

And I feel like sneaking in the Lyr....what about the Lyr and Modi together? 

 

 I have an iMac feeding the Modi via USB.  At the moment I have an older (~2005) Total Bithead and a RSA Hornet that I use for amps.  I love the sound of the Hornet, but mainly use it as a travel and office amp.  The Asgard II will become my home amp.  When time and budget allow, I will probably upgrade my Modi next.

 

I'm curious if anyone else is using the Modi with other Schiit amps?

post #130 of 255
Thread Starter 
Since I found Magni and Asgard to sound the same, I would say Bifrost + Magni should yield better SQ than Modi + Asgard.

Of course, now that Asgard 2 is out it's certainly possible that it is the bigger improvement.

Although as previously stated, honestly, unless you've got a better DAC to put side by side with the Modi I don't think you're going to have any qualms with 'just' the Modi. Bifrost does sound better to me, but for just USB Modi is an excellent deal and is very close to Bifrost.
post #131 of 255

Thanks for the feedback.  Since an iMac has the possibility of optical out, it seems I have a possible upgrade path.  I'm very happy with the Modi compared to my dated Total Bithead.
 

post #132 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshadow View Post

Thanks for the feedback.  Since an iMac has the possibility of optical out, it seems I have a possible upgrade path.  I'm very happy with the Modi compared to my dated Total Bithead.
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshadow View Post

Thanks for the feedback.  Since an iMac has the possibility of optical out, it seems I have a possible upgrade path.  I'm very happy with the Modi compared to my dated Total Bithea

ditto on the thanks folks!

post #133 of 255

a lot of people over here mention having multiple setups, is it wise to do it the way im doing it? i listen more on the go than at home, so a good portable player will be useful. thats why i got my ibasso dx100, it was not exactly cheap for a portable player but i didnt mind, knowing i would use it often. i use it everywhere , both for on the go and at home. for home, if i want later, i can add an amp to it. my whole music library is in my dx100, i do not listen to music from comp. and its easier to turn on my dx100 than turning on my laptop. so do you guys think its wise to do it the way im doing it? 

post #134 of 255
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

a lot of people over here mention having multiple setups, is it wise to do it the way im doing it? i listen more on the go than at home, so a good portable player will be useful. thats why i got my ibasso dx100, it was not exactly cheap for a portable player but i didnt mind, knowing i would use it often. i use it everywhere , both for on the go and at home. for home, if i want later, i can add an amp to it. my whole music library is in my dx100, i do not listen to music from comp. and its easier to turn on my dx100 than turning on my laptop. so do you guys think its wise to do it the way im doing it? 

 

Since you've got a good portable player and are able to fit your whole music library on it then sure, I'd just use it for everything.

 

The main argument for a second setup would come from if you wanted to use it to watch stuff or game or something I would think.

post #135 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

Since you've got a good portable player and are able to fit your whole music library on it then sure, I'd just use it for everything.

The main argument for a second setup would come from if you wanted to use it to watch stuff or game or something I would think.


I know people would disagree with me but when I watch YouTube or play games, I really don't care about sound quality. When I'm playing games, I'm fully concentrated on the game and I don't analyze the sound quality so I'm perfectly fine with my brothers Samsung laptop with its bad internal laptop sound. About watching YouTube, I doub vids on there are recorded well anyway so I don't really bother to have a setup for it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard