The HE-400 treble is not linear, and I find it to be one of the few things it does not do very well. The treble seems rather uniform and a tad metallic.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Recommending Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1 Last post on Today at 1:49 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice - The choice between the HE-400 and the HD650 Last post on 4/3/14 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "Starter" Headphones? - HiFiMan HE-400 / AKG K712 / Sennheiser HD650 / ... Last post on 4/13/14 at 11:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- For Sale: HD600 and HE400 Last post on 3/28/14 at 1:03pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones? Last post on 4/7/14 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
HiFiMAN HE-400 review by an audiophile newbie - Page 2post #16 of 2112/28/12 at 5:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2112/29/12 at 3:36pmThread StarterQuote:
What do you mean by uniform?
I have not noticed a metallic sound in the treble so far. To me they sound linear, but then again they are by far the best I have heard so maybe I just don't know what true linearity sounds like. Or perhaps with more critical listening I will discover some peaks or dips, I haven't had as much time with them yet as I would like.post #18 of 2112/29/12 at 3:36pmThread StarterQuote:
What do you mean by uniform?
I have not noticed a metallic sound in the treble so far. To me they sound linear, but then again they are by far the best I have heard so maybe I just don't know what true linearity sounds like. Or perhaps with more critical listening I will discover some peaks or dips, I haven't had as much time with them yet as I would like.post #19 of 2112/29/12 at 3:41pmThread Starterpost #20 of 2112/29/12 at 3:43pmpost #21 of 211/3/13 at 3:21pmThread Starter
I hadn't really noticed that as I was still adjusting to their sound signature, but yes you're right. I haven't noticed the roll off though... That valley seems to be what gives the cans their somewhat dark sound signature. They respond to EQ very well though, so it is easily corrected if you so choose. Personally I like their sound signature as is so I'm going to leave it alone, but I just tried fixing that with an EQ out of curiosity and it works very well.
- HiFiMAN HE-400 review by an audiophile newbie
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › best headphone/amp combo for Classical. 5 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 16 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 41 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › sgs5 rmma results gsm arena 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 2 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob