Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Speaker's only guy looking for help on a first balanced can
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker's only guy looking for help on a first balanced can

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

~Please read my last post in thread!!~

 

 

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help.

 

I've been searching around here for days reading reviews and suggestions and I'm definitely out of my comfort zone here on what to do. If anything, reading stuff here has confused me even more! lol

 

 

Long story short, I've basically been running Logitech Z-5500 speakers via my Asus Xonar DX audio card. I've gone from 5.1 to 2.1 ( due to just moving and living area ) and I've thought it's about time to find some good quality headphones, something I've never had ( unless you count plantronics headphones good.. rofl ).

 

~ What I'm looking for, is something all around balanced. I've read many that excel in some areas, lacking in others ( especially a soundstage/bass ratio ) and I think the best way to go is something balanced. I heavily will be gaming, watching movies and listening to music. Because of these 3 things, I thought it would be best to find some that is over all good to do these things. I would like a good sound stage especially for gaming since I believe the ability to perceive where things are occurring better is worth having ( testing rather ), but I don't want to sacrifice too much bass. I like bass, I like it clear and rich, I don't need my head exploding. But I want to know in a movie/game that explosion was huge and powerful.

 

I'm willing to go up to mid $200's in price. Would rather not, but you do get what you pay for in life, and I understand that.

 

 

What I've been looking at :

 

~ My first look, due to a friend recommending was : AD700 - I know the bass is on lower side, even non-existant to some opinions. Can't test it, hard for me to tell. I like price though.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356644038&sr=8-1&keywords=ath+700

 

~ On the flip side, the AD900 was something I considered as well. It's supposedly going to increase on all fronts of AD700, especially making the bass more neutral and apparent. More money though, and will more of the improvements even be noticeble if I'm not playing the most high quality music?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900-Audiophile-Open-air-Headphones/dp/B0006OQY2S

 

 

~ Next was the Sennheisert HD 598/558: I know little about these, but I've gathered a lot of 'complaints' from Ad700/ad900 are resolved in these cans. More balanced? And that 558 has a more weight to bass, and 598 being more refined?

 

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A

 

 

I'm primarily looking at these two brands, but open to other suggestions. Any help would be thankful.


Edited by clemxii - 1/14/13 at 6:00pm
post #2 of 26

what are you meaning by balanced? as in balanced cables?

 

budget?

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post

what are you meaning by balanced? as in balanced cables?

 

budget?

Mid $200's, I'll edit and put $ in my post.

 

Balanced like what I describe in my post. I don't need headphones for sheer bass and for a dj, nor one for superior listening on classical 

 

I game, I watch movies and listen to music, so I'm looking for something that can be good at all that. I listen to all types of music, classical, opera, techno, trance, pop ect.., all types of movies and all types of games. So something that is just an all around good can is what I'm trying to get.

post #4 of 26
Quote:

 

I game, I watch movies and listen to music, so I'm looking for something that can be good at all that. I listen to all types of music, classical, opera, techno, trance, pop ect.., all types of movies and all types of games. So something that is just an all around good can is what I'm trying to get.

 

The HD 598 hands down no question gs1000.gif

post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDobermanxX View Post

 

The HD 598 hands down no question gs1000.gif

 

 

 

That's the feel I'm getting as well after some more research.

 

Are you aware of much difference from HD558? How is the sound stage in comparison to audio technica? That is the one thing I hear is just amazing with AT.

post #6 of 26

Heya,

 

Avoid the AD700 and HD598. You will wonder where the bass is. Not for you. Especially not the AD700. Avoid that crippled toy.

 

I would have you look at:

 

Beyer DT880

Hifiman HE-300 r2

Ultrasone HFI 2400

 

Very best,

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

Avoid the AD700 and HD598. You will wonder where the bass is. Not for you. Especially not the AD700. Avoid that crippled toy.

 

I would have you look at:

 

Beyer DT880

Hifiman HE-300 r2

Ultrasone HFI 2400

 

Very best,

Thanks! What makes you say the HD598 or HD555 are bad? I know there not bass head phones, but there supposed to be a more tighter and even bass in conjunction to everything else.

 

I'm new to Beyer and Ultrasone but from what I've seen they do look nice. Will spend some time looking up reviews on them, thanks Mal!

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemxii View Post

 

Balanced like what I describe in my post. I don't need headphones for sheer bass and for a dj, nor one for superior listening on classical 

I came into the thread thinking that you needed a headphone for a balanced amplifier :P

You should definitely consider something in the Beyerdynamic DT line or some AKGs.

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemxii View Post

Thanks! What makes you say the HD598 or HD555 are bad? I know there not bass head phones, but there supposed to be a more tighter and even bass in conjunction to everything else.

 

I'm new to Beyer and Ultrasone but from what I've seen they do look nice. Will spend some time looking up reviews on them, thanks Mal!

Neither the AT nor the Sennheisers do have much bass.

Not that the ad900 and hd598 are that rolled off... But the ad700 on the other hand

post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Neither the AT nor the Sennheisers do have much bass.

Not that the ad900 and hd598 are that rolled off... But the ad700 on the other hand

AD900 looks much better than the AD700 in bass extension and upper mids/lower treble. It also doesn't have that nasty spike at 10 khz. Still bass looks relatively weak and rolled off compared to the mids/highs.  Hd598 looks good until sub bass.

post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Neither the AT nor the Sennheisers do have much bass.

Not that the ad900 and hd598 are that rolled off... But the ad700 on the other hand

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

I came into the thread thinking that you needed a headphone for a balanced amplifier :P

You should definitely consider something in the Beyerdynamic DT line or some AKGs.

 

Thanks guys. This is definitely informative. I checked that website to compare freq., it didn't have the beyer DT440.

 

Since quite a few of you are familar with this line, and think it would give me a good middle ground for gaming, music and movies, can you tell me about this lower model? Is the trade off for bass and sound stage a must for all cans? Is there a middle ground and is this line just that in your opinion?

post #12 of 26
post #13 of 26

i was thinking of the HD598, though it's weakness is that the subbass is not enough for, but the soundstage and mids are great.

post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 

Quick update, and maybe some additional help.

 

~ I ordered AD900 during this topic convo, and before fully looking at AKG and Beyer. I can say they've been returned and not really what I was looking for.

 

 

I am now looking at definitively, either AKG or Beyer. I plan to re-buy from amazon asap.

 

My main issue is which brand, and which price category.

 

For a $200 and lower range I'm looking at either: Beyer 440 Premium vs. AKG 601

 

For $200+ I was looking at either: AKG K702 vs. Beyer Dynamic DT880(pro version) *not sure of premium version is different?*

 

I'm looking for my first phones that I want to keep for a long time, to do gaming (sound stage and knowing where things are, is important), music (all types) and movies. It will be plugged into my Asus Xonar DX audio card. Taking these into consideration, is the $200+ AKG/Beyer going to be worth it? And between the two brands, from anyones personal opinion, what would suit me better or what you prefer better.

 

Ty in advance!


Edited by clemxii - 1/14/13 at 11:03pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemxii View Post

 

For $200+ I was looking at either: AKG K702 vs. Beyer Dynamic DT880(pro version) *not sure of premium version is different?*

 

 

I'm on the same boat as you and as of now I'm leaning towards the DT880's. The reason being mainly for the comfort that I liked from my previous headphones (DT770) and they are known for their very good mids. What turned me off about the AKG's was the bumpy headband and the huge earpads that some people find irritating but from what I hear they are good for gaming and classical music. They also have a detachable cable.

 

As for the Pro vs Premiums the Pro's have a tighter clamp which people claim you can loosen up over time and they come with a coiled cable. The Premiums on the other hand have a looser clamp and straight cable with different aesthetics. From what I have read the 250 vs 600 ohm sound difference is debatable but I personally want the 250's for the ease of driving and the price difference.


Edited by soundisee - 1/14/13 at 8:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Speaker's only guy looking for help on a first balanced can