- 13 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700X Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-A900LTDtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 12/27/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K 271 MK II or Shure SHR940? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones for Competitive Gaming Last post on 8/22/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help With Headphone Selection Last post on 12/20/12 at 3:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
SRH-840 an upgrade from ATH-A900?post #1 of 312/27/12 at 12:47pmThread StarterI have narrowed down my search for a headphone to the SRH-840 and was not able to find any comparison reviews between the two. I am mostly using them for monitoring music production and listening, primarily to electronic music with strong bass. I want a new pair since I feel the A900 bass extension is not great, especially compared to my 280 Pros. Has anyone heard both of these headphones and can compare them?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/27/12 at 1:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chris9181
I have narrowed down my search for a headphone to the SRH-840 and was not able to find any comparison reviews between the two. I am mostly using them for monitoring music production and listening, primarily to electronic music with strong bass. I want a new pair since I feel the A900 bass extension is not great, especially compared to my 280 Pros. Has anyone heard both of these headphones and can compare them?
The SRH840 is not an upgrade, more a side-grade with different signature.
That said, having strong bass on the headphone isn't something I would look for if you're doing production, since I assume you're producing with the intent to playback on speakers primarily; in which case, it will sound less bassy if you produce the content with bassy headphones, but then play it on speakers. Typically in production you'll want flat headphones without obviously very colored bass so that your end product doesn't sound thin and lifeless on speakers. In which case, what you have is already good for what you're doing.
However, if you really need a little more low end register to sort of give you an idea of what you're listening to, maybe look into something like the SRH840, Beyer DT770, Brainwavz HM5, T50RP (dampened), AKG K271 MKII, AudioTechnica A700X & A900X, etc.
Very best,post #3 of 312/30/12 at 9:25amThread StarterMy problem with the A900's is the bass extension - compared to my 280 Pro's they just do not accurately reproduce bass below 50-60hz, at least not at comfortable listening levels. The music I produce and listen to makes significant use of those frequencies, so hearing them is important. Do the 840's have better bass extension than A900's?
- SRH-840 an upgrade from ATH-A900?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 53 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica AT-W3000ANV JAPAN MINT or trade 56 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Should I ditch my Creative X-Fi? 4 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 6 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude