Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650 vs DT880 (2005 Edition): bass comparison?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD650 vs DT880 (2005 Edition): bass comparison? - Page 2

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

My Lord, you didn't read my post--'classical exclusively'. If you check around you'll find another classical listener who also posted about the 598 being harsh with strings, only he put it down to a resonance in the cups. Personally I was surprised when I first tried them, as I always liked the HD595 and never found it harsh.

 

As for the DT880, I don't find the treble harsh at all. Probably due to HF hearing loss I'm not bothered by the treble peak, and in terms of quality and texture I find the DT880 just about spot-on.

I did read your post. Even within classical music, you have to be specific. For instance, if you listen to cello music I doubt you'd perceive the 598 as being harsh. With the upper registers of the violin, I could see how one can come to that conclusion though. With organ music, I could also understand. 

 

The HD598 have a more tonally accurate midrange than the HD595 though. I have the Mad Dogs to compare it to, and if the Mad Dogs indeed reproduce the frequency with a perfectly flat curve, the HD598 does have a slight emphasis in the mid-midrange to upper-midrange, but not enough to the point where it will fatigue you. 

 

I found the DT880 to have a better texture to the bass than any of the Senns. Less "one-note" sounding bass. As for its treble, can't say. For my young ears, they're a bit too fatiguing even at moderate volume. 

post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 

goodwithtempos, I would say DT880 would suit you better. The treble isn't really that harsh - it is only noticeable when directly comparing to the HD650, or when actively listening for the high frequencies. Just listening normally, it settles nicely into the rest of the sound spectrum.

 

Furthermore, you mentioned low-level listening, and while neither the HD650 or the DT880 are absolutely ideal for this, the DT880 wins out because it has a slightly elevated bass and treble compared to the midrange. This, in fact makes it slightly 'v-shaped' - nothing as extreme as some closed DJ-style headphones, but it's there nonetheless. Having a v-shaped presentation tends to make headphones sound more 'fun' at loud levels, and more involving at lower levels.

 

I actually get frustrated with my HD650's, because I have to turn them up relatively loud for them to sound good - the same problem is not there with the DT880.

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

I did read your post. Even within classical music, you have to be specific. For instance, if you listen to cello music I doubt you'd perceive the 598 as being harsh. With the upper registers of the violin, I could see how one can come to that conclusion though. With organ music, I could also understand. 

 

I found the DT880 to have a better texture to the bass than any of the Senns. Less "one-note" sounding bass. As for its treble, can't say. For my young ears, they're a bit too fatiguing even at moderate volume. 

 

I was referring to heavy orchestral (think Shostakovich), the problem usually manifesting most with massed strings. I guess I knew the moment I put the 598 on that it wasn't going to be for me, but I did do it the courtesy of a burn-in. It never came close to my idea of accurate sound, whereas the DT880 sounded right from the first moment. I could hear the treble peak, but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting based on reviews and my experience of a DT880 Pro from 6 or 7 years ago, which sounded like a laser pointer. Don't know if Beyer have made changes but it sounds like it to me.

 

I'm surprised you would say the DT880 is too fatiguing even at moderate volume. But even if your ears are indeed that sensitive, the treble is actually of a good quality; it's quantity that's the problem. Even I sometimes use -2 on the treble control (I use an integrated amp), though most of the time I don't need it. I'm not an advocate of EQing, in fact I object to it on principle, but there are instances where it works wonders and can save a great phone from being overlooked.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

I was referring to heavy orchestral (think Shostakovich), the problem usually manifesting most with massed strings. I guess I knew the moment I put the 598 on that it wasn't going to be for me, but I did do it the courtesy of a burn-in. It never came close to my idea of accurate sound, whereas the DT880 sounded right from the first moment. I could hear the treble peak, but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting based on reviews and my experience of a DT880 Pro from 6 or 7 years ago, which sounded like a laser pointer. Don't know if Beyer have made changes but it sounds like it to me.

 

I'm surprised you would say the DT880 is too fatiguing even at moderate volume. But even if your ears are indeed that sensitive, the treble is actually of a good quality; it's quantity that's the problem. Even I sometimes use -2 on the treble control (I use an integrated amp), though most of the time I don't need it. I'm not an advocate of EQing, in fact I object to it on principle, but there are instances where it works wonders and can save a great phone from being overlooked.

Hmm I just finished practicing the Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1 a few min ago. 

 

I'm all for EQ myself. Maybe I should give the DT880 another chance, with the treble EQ'd down? 

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

Hmm I just finished practicing the Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1 a few min ago. 

 

 

I just finished playing it too--on the CD player.  biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650 vs DT880 (2005 Edition): bass comparison?