- 1,747 Posts. Joined 7/2012
- Location: Mckinney Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. Last post on 12/14/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Bought Audio technica AD700, however..... Last post on 2/2/11 at 2:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best PC Headset Gaming and Music Last post on 9/17/13 at 6:22pm in Computer Audio
- Best Open Over-Ear Headphones Under $300? Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Speaker's only guy looking for help on a first balanced can Last post on 1/17/13 at 12:08am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer) - Page 2post #16 of 2812/28/12 at 4:44am3rd person I've convinced to get the 518 makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Especially after trying to get my friend to buy the akg k550, he ends up with beats....
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2812/28/12 at 5:24am
honestly for under 120 of the headphones i have, only the sony xb500's dont seem to interfere with comfort nor seal while im wearing glasses, the xb1000's are the most comfortable pair i own with glasses while also providing excellent sound quality & seal but they're over the 120 price u set so i suggest looking into the xb700 (which i never heard but i hear arent too far removed from the xb1000's soundwise)
the ath pro700mk2's are also crazy comfortable with glasses but only with beyerdynamic gel pads. you can get the pro700's used at that price if you look around but the earpads themselves are $40 so that puts it above budgetpost #18 of 2812/29/12 at 8:44amThread Starter
The 518's just came in and I'm wearing them now. They're quite different from anything I've worn in the past. One headset would be very reliant on gravity and weighing itself down to hold it on, while others are more pinch to the sides of your head. This one seems to be a good combination of both actually. Now nothing about this headset is broken in so I'll have to revisit a week or so from now, but so far the headband does feel a bit stiff as do the ear cups, but it's nothing that is going to make me like them any less. Sound stage is wonderful for music so far and the immediate comfort with glasses, not prolonged as I've been wearing them only for the last 20 minutes, is relatively good. I expect that they will get better once everything is broken in, but even now, I'm very pleased :) Thanks for all of the recommendations!post #19 of 2812/29/12 at 9:22ampost #20 of 2812/29/12 at 6:37pmpost #21 of 2812/29/12 at 6:52pmThread Starterpost #22 of 2812/29/12 at 7:25pmQuote:
well lol its in my sig too. the valours on these have become so soft that they are softer than the new HD598 pads (and the HD558 pads were significantly firmer than the HD598 at purchase. so believe the HD518 pads should soften quite a lot too) but regardless they all should be very comfortable after some usepost #23 of 2812/29/12 at 7:44pmThread Starterpost #24 of 2812/29/12 at 7:59pmQuote:
well you can exchange them, but only if you don't find them comfortable for a while then you should change them.
(though they are so huge its pretty unlikely that they have to be as hard as stone to be uncomfortable)post #25 of 2812/30/12 at 3:09pmIf I had velour ones, I'd swap in a heartbeat, the scratchiness p***es me off. Do you have a link to pads that you KNOW are velour and not the weird stuff on the 518's??post #26 of 2812/30/12 at 6:20pm
i thought the HD518 used velour maybe you could ask sennheiser to order HD558 earpads?
also maybe you can try washing the earpads, i know the scratchyness of my grado earpads (they are famous for being scratchy) became softer over time and over a wash or 2post #27 of 2812/31/12 at 9:32pmI think its some sort of fake velour, idk. I don't have any confirmed velour pads ti compare. Also, in most products they boast having velour pads, not a mention of it on the 518's. the material feels too cheap to be "high-end". Budget product=sacrifices.post #28 of 2812/31/12 at 9:56pmQuote:
im not sure, the only part i'm sure is that the earpads on the HD518 is harder since its cheaper than its bigger brothers. i'm not sure if they are the same material (i assumed they are)
- Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 5 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 6 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 6 minutes ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 8 minutes ago
- › Can't change my password. 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 9 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob