So I lurked around here for a while through a couple of threads where the OP was a glasses wearer and their concern was comfort, though, the question was never quite answered from a glasses wearer. Through my research I've narrowed it down to Grado SR80i's and AT AD700's. Look makes no difference (hence the AD700's hehe) I just want something that I can wear for hours with no pain. Currently, I don't have any audiophile grade headphones, nor have I ever owned any. I have Astro A40's (blown left cup) which I replaced with Steelseries Siberia V2's (needed a quick swap, free 1 day shipping) The Astros hurt the top of my head after 2 - 3 hours. This had nothing due to the glasses factor, and I truly do miss them. The siberias however are god awful when it comes to the glasses. They sound great (to my standards), but after only 45 minutes to an hour, my ears begin to have sharp pain and I have to take the headset off for 10 minutes or so to let them rest. Really, all I'm asking is for honest input from glasses wearers towards a great headset which is comfortable, and has great sound quality, for under $130 or so. Thanks in advance for all of the help, I can't wait to join own my first decent pair of headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. Last post on 12/14/12 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Bought Audio technica AD700, however..... Last post on 2/2/11 at 2:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Going from 3.5mm to 1/4 amp Last post on 5/27/14 at 7:01am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best PC Headset Gaming and Music Last post on 9/17/13 at 6:22pm in Computer Audio
- Best Open Over-Ear Headphones Under $300? Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s...
Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As a glasses wearer myself, I've had little luck with any of the pairs I own. Forget about any closed pairs because they rely on creating a seal by hugging your head. My Sennheiser 598s are alright for a few hours, but start to get annoying while wearing glasses after that. Luckily for me I'm nearsighted so I don't often wear glasses while I'm listening to music at the computer, which is most of the time. The 598s are wonderfully comfortable without glasses. Anyway, I have been using my IEMs whenever I'm wearing my glasses. Even over-ear IEMs work well with my relatively thick frames when I put the IEMs in first. For max comfort, I'd recommend an in-ear monitor.
Edited by TK277 - 12/27/12 at 9:01am
I didn't quite mind over ears with glasses, and the on/over ears I have, the siberias, are really comfortable when I'm not wearing glasses. Unfortunately I'm far sighted so not wearing glasses is not an option.
i have the HD558 and i use it all time with my glasses, it works just fine for me. i have an allesandro (subbranch of grado) and i feel that if at stock the headband can squeeze a bit tight but after i bend it to be looser it's perfectly fine. (though the senns are still more comfortable to a degree)
lastly i believe the senns have a kind of memory foam, so they won't exert any extra pressure on your glases.
one note however, the SR80i and the HD518 are pretty much polar opposites in sound signature, the senns being relaxed and laidback while (generally more bass than treble) and the grados being more energetic and engaging (somewhat more treble than bass)
I can't comment on the Grado or AT pair you mentioned, but I wear glasses and the only pair of headphoess that I've worn, for any substantial amount of time, that I felt was comfortable while wearing glasses is the Sennheiser HD650. They are incredibly comfortable. I can wear them for hours at a time with glasses and have no issues/discomfort whatsoever.
though that doesn't apply to some of the lower end models (yes HD205, i'm looking from you...)
- Best headphones for comfort and quality (Glasses wearer)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Owners Unite 12 seconds ago
- › FS: Apple iPod Classic 160 GB Black (7G) 31 seconds ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 41 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Looking For Budget IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › In-ears for under or upto $50 3 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)