Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › burn in sennheiser HD 439
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

burn in sennheiser HD 439

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

i just buyed a Sennheiser Hd 439 headphones.

 

i have a nokia phone, not a smartphone, therefore the amplification is not as good as they come on my pc?

 

i think i should burn in the headphones, but don't know the best way to do them, so please suggest me the best way to make my Hd 439 efficient in sound quality?

 

i would be thankful if you give me the link from where i can download noise or songs to burn in my headphones? 

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

no one replied yet, please help

post #3 of 12

I don't think you've asked an answerable question because the question itself is muddy.  Are you looking for direction as to how to burn in headphones? If yes - just start playing your music library through them. If you have tracks that are just pink noise this helps. The time it takes for this process varies by headphone model, however for the 439s there isn't much of a noticable difference either way. I'd say maybe they get a bit less sloppy around 50 hours, but that could just be my ears getting used to them.

 

What I'm confused about is how you percieve this to improve the headphone's drivability in some fashion. This is not the case. Burn in has nothing to do with how well or efficiently headphones are driven. For the 439's, they'll operate just fine out of any medium. If you want to try your hand at a portable combination browse through the countless threads on portable setup options.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti tunes View Post

I don't think you've asked an answerable question because the question itself is muddy.  Are you looking for direction as to how to burn in headphones? If yes - just start playing your music library through them. If you have tracks that are just pink noise this helps. The time it takes for this process varies by headphone model, however for the 439s there isn't much of a noticable difference either way. I'd say maybe they get a bit less sloppy around 50 hours, but that could just be my ears getting used to them.

 

What I'm confused about is how you percieve this to improve the headphone's drivability in some fashion. This is not the case. Burn in has nothing to do with how well or efficiently headphones are driven. For the 439's, they'll operate just fine out of any medium. If you want to try your hand at a portable combination browse through the countless threads on portable setup options.

 

my headphones deliver godd sound quality on pc, they are not working that well with my nokia phones probably becuase the output voltage driving my headphones is not enough.  i haven't burned in yet, i have "pink noise" and will see the difference if there will be any?

 

for 439 , i heard that the base was sufficient if you are an audiophile,..but they seem to be a bit dissapointing on that

 

is it better to using a portable headphone amplifier?

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau riche View Post

 

my headphones deliver godd sound quality on pc, they are not working that well with my nokia phones probably becuase the output voltage driving my headphones is not enough.  i haven't burned in yet, i have "pink noise" and will see the difference if there will be any?

 

for 439 , i heard that the base was sufficient if you are an audiophile,..but they seem to be a bit dissapointing on that

 

is it better to using a portable headphone amplifier?

you can use a fiio amp to bump up the bass but you can use an eq as well, just don't commit any clipping and you should be fine.

and having run headphones from subpar sources can cause the bass to be lacking and the sound to be overall muddy

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

you can use a fiio amp to bump up the bass but you can use an eq as well, just don't commit any clipping and you should be fine.

and having run headphones from subpar sources can cause the bass to be lacking and the sound to be overall muddy

which amp should i use? my budget is $20

post #7 of 12
439's don't need an amp. If you can EQ the bass up higher (if that's what you want) and then burn it in that'll do it. For burning in I recommend outing on a couple of your fab albums and playing t continuously for ~20 hours at a bit louder than you'd listen to.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post

439's don't need an amp. If you can EQ the bass up higher (if that's what you want) and then burn it in that'll do it. For burning in I recommend outing on a couple of your fab albums and playing t continuously for ~20 hours at a bit louder than you'd listen to.

are you sure, i have read the reviews of senn 439 on head-fi, and some were saying that even their ipad nano could drive the headphones that well. however after using fiio e6, it went out of the box?

 

i have also mentioned that the phone i use is a nokia phone, and it is not even a smartphone, has no internal amp?

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau riche View Post

are you sure, i have read the reviews of senn 439 on head-fi, and some were saying that even their ipad nano could drive the headphones that well. however after using fiio e6, it went out of the box?

 

i have also mentioned that the phone i use is a nokia phone, and it is not even a smartphone, has no internal amp?

what do you mean by it went out of the box?
hmm also the M50 doesn't really need an amp. probably a better souce or a dac (which would stretch your budget)

post #10 of 12
If an iPod nano could drive them, your phone could drive them as well. Just because it's not a smartphone doesn't mean it cant supply the little amount of juice a 439 requires. You don't need an amplifier AT ALL for the 439's they're fine just plugged into your phone.
post #11 of 12

Probably too late, but I just got some 439s and had a similar thought - initially they're light on the bass.

 

Before burning in I noticed that the bass sounded great but it was a little quiet. I was considering a portable amp to boost up the bass, but decided to let them burn in first. It was a good choice, because 10 hours of listening later, the bass has really opened up and is now at an optimal level for me (I like a lot of bass as long as it isn't boomy, mixing with mids too much, or overpowering the mids/highs). The bass on the 439s doesn't do any of those bad things. It's clean and strong, although it does lack punchiness. I think the Fiio E11 is the best affordable amp out there right now, especially if you want to use the bass boost. The E6 would be sufficient for flat EQ boosting, but the bass boost extends up into low/mid and even mid frequencies, giving your music a thicker, boomier sound.

As far as simply improving the sound quality and increasing your volume range, the Fiio E6 is cheaper (~$26) and smaller than the E11, and using it on the flat EQ setting would probably do exactly what you're looking for.

 

Another note, I'm running them through either my laptop or iPhone 3gs, and they sound about the same through either one. I run at only about 75% volume on the iPhone and it's almost loud enough to hurt my ears.


Edited by hotKarl - 4/10/13 at 4:35pm
post #12 of 12

I have a pair and they do open up a lot after having been played for a couple of hours. I have them for almost 3 months now and I still can hear them continuously opening up. I noticed a big improvement in the highs recently, I had noticed an improvement of bass before also. Great headphones. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › burn in sennheiser HD 439