Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Audioengine A2 + Polk PSW10 + Fiio E10 = damn...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audioengine A2 + Polk PSW10 + Fiio E10 = damn...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Got on the massdrop deal for the A2 and Amazon was selling the polk for $79 last week and Adorama deal on the E10. It's almost criminal how good this combo sounds for $244.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post

Got on the massdrop deal for the A2 and Amazon was selling the polk for $79 last week and Adorama deal on the E10. It's almost criminal how good this combo sounds for $244.

 

Computer-->e10-->Audioengine A2

 

Is that how you set it up?

post #3 of 14

Gus, how did you set it up?  I have both the PSW10 and A2's but could never get the subwoofer to sound right with my computer set up.  Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
This is how everything is connected.

PC -> Fiio E10 -> 3.5mm-rca cable -> A2 -> 3.5mm-rca cable -> PSW10

XO is set to 90Hz in the sub, gain switch is at around 65%, phase set to 0.

I am using 2x of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5599&seq=1&format=2
post #5 of 14

I was in the same boat as gus6464.  I just swapped the e17 with a leckerton uha-6s mkii.

 

Picked up the A2's off massdrop and sat there scratching my head in amazement at the lack of base... mid's and high's were nicer then my z-2300s but the lack of base really killed it.  After seeing this post I decided to get bestbuy since I am really impatient.  Talked to a sales rep there who did a price match amazon's $79.99 on the Polk PSW10 subtract a $60.00 in-store credit I had lying around = one happy camper.  Still breaking these bad boys in but happy considering the total price of the system it has a decent sound. 

 

I'm sure this is elsewhere on the forums but I lack a link at the moment.  You can use one of the two inputs as an output.  Use whichever is not being used to the sub via rca cable. Worked like a charm for me as well.

 

Thanks for this write up!!

post #6 of 14

Thanks for the help Gus.  I set it up and got it "working."  I played around with the volume and crossover on the subwoofer and then AB'd it without the sub.  I definitely like it better without the sub.  The bass was just too boomy for me, even with the the volume turned way down on the sub..  I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something wrong, if the underside of my desk is too enclosed for a sub, or if I just don't like that much bass in my music.  Whatever the case, I'm glad I got it working to test it out.  Thanks for the help.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetriton View Post

Thanks for the help Gus.  I set it up and got it "working."  I played around with the volume and crossover on the subwoofer and then AB'd it without the sub.  I definitely like it better without the sub.  The bass was just too boomy for me, even with the the volume turned way down on the sub..  I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something wrong, if the underside of my desk is too enclosed for a sub, or if I just don't like that much bass in my music.  Whatever the case, I'm glad I got it working to test it out.  Thanks for the help.

Try putting a sock in the port of the sub and increasing the gain a bit and see if you like the sound any better.
post #8 of 14

Great to hear! I just may purchase the A2 and PSW10 (Currently $80 shipped @ Newegg) tonight. I need better speakers for my desktop computer and space is VERY limited. Not enough space to take advantage of the A5+. Currently have the Logitech Z-560's... time to retire them.

 

Besides, I just want it for casual music listening at low-mid volume.

 

Worth it, even tho the cheapest I can find the A5 new is $199?

 

Thanks!

 

P.S. If I do go with this setup, will be pairing it with a Fiio E17. If I get the sub and the A2's... will I just need to get the 2x cables that the OP suggested from monoprice?


Edited by zzbloopzz - 12/28/12 at 8:22am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbloopzz View Post

P.S. If I do go with this setup, will be pairing it with a Fiio E17. If I get the sub and the A2's... will I just need to get the 2x cables that the OP suggested from monoprice?

 

Definitely verify before you do. I don't see how those cables are working for the OP since the A2 does not have any stereo line output based on the information on Audioengine's website. I would think you would need to split the audio coming from the E17 and then run it to both the sub and the A2s. 

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Definitely verify before you do. I don't see how those cables are working for the OP since the A2 does not have any stereo line output based on the information on Audioengine's website. I would think you would need to split the audio coming from the E17 and then run it to both the sub and the A2s. 

Actually the A2's both RCA and 3.5mm line inputs will become a line out when it detects an input coming in from either connection.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/355187/how-to-add-subwoofer-to-audioengine-a2#post_5582990
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbloopzz View Post

Great to hear! I just may purchase the A2 and PSW10 (Currently $80 shipped @ Newegg) tonight. I need better speakers for my desktop computer and space is VERY limited. Not enough space to take advantage of the A5+. Currently have the Logitech Z-560's... time to retire them.

Besides, I just want it for casual music listening at low-mid volume.

Worth it, even tho the cheapest I can find the A5 new is $199?

Thanks!

P.S. If I do go with this setup, will be pairing it with a Fiio E17. If I get the sub and the A2's... will I just need to get the 2x cables that the OP suggested from monoprice?

With the E17 your setup will still be exactly like mine.

PC -> E17 -> 3.5mm-rca -> A2 -> 3.5mm-rca -> sub
post #12 of 14

Great! Thank you!

 

Do you still recommend this setup on a budget? I have never had nice speakers before, just headphones... but sometimes get tired of having headphones on my head or if I need to move around alot.
 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post


Actually the A2's both RCA and 3.5mm line inputs will become a line out when it detects an input coming in from either connection.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/355187/how-to-add-subwoofer-to-audioengine-a2#post_5582990

 

That's a nice feature. And I guess there's no way to label the back of the speaker so that it would make sense to people smile.gif

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbloopzz View Post

Great! Thank you!

Do you still recommend this setup on a budget? I have never had nice speakers before, just headphones... but sometimes get tired of having headphones on my head or if I need to move around alot.

 

I definitely recommend this setup. Just make sure you dial down the sub right so it doesn't sound too boomy. When you get to the point where you feel like you are getting nice impact, dial it down 1 notch.

I decided last night that I am taking the E10 because my wife is not going to listen through headphones so I bought a D03K and an airport express which should arrive today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Audioengine A2 + Polk PSW10 + Fiio E10 = damn...