Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube Dac or Tube Amp, Which and Why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tube Dac or Tube Amp, Which and Why?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hey headfiers,

 

I have a Stax Signature Lambda SR-404 (Normal edition) and a Stax SRM-252S Driver Unit, and I wanted to get a Tube component in the chain somewhere. This is where I realized I wasn't sure if I should upgrade the driver unit that has a tube in it, or upgrade just the dac with a tube in it, OR if I need tubes in both dac and driver unit. If so which and why??

 

Any insight is much appreciated

post #2 of 9
Common thought is tube amp, ss DAC. Tubes color the signal (generally) so you want your source as pristine as possible. I run a tube DAC with SS amps for better efficiency on orthos at the moment.
Edited by Happy Camper - 12/26/12 at 2:21pm
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

@Happy Camper: I see, Gotcha, thanks!
 


Edited by Rinoue - 12/26/12 at 2:39pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Common thought is tube amp, ss DAC. Tubes color the signal (generally) so you want your source as pristine as possible. I run a tube DAC with SS amps for better efficiency on orthos at the moment.

Can you recommend a good tube amp..

If was thinking of upgrading my mjolnir,..keeping the gungnir,& will be using he-6' ,& HD800's

 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

post #5 of 9
For which hp? The two you mention need completely different amps. IMO, the 800s on the EC amps, (qualified) SP amps, Woo amps, DNA, RSA. The HE 6 owners who use tube amps are rare. Wuwhere has been using a couple powerful tube amps. Dr.Roberts is using a BAT 55SE. Not had enough experience with tubes with enough power to recommend.
post #6 of 9

What are you using as a source for the Stax rig at the moment? What's your budget? A better DAC in general can help a lot with them.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

What are you using as a source for the Stax rig at the moment? What's your budget? A better DAC in general can help a lot with them.

I'm using Flac> Foobar2000> Wasapi> USB> AudioGD Compass DAC> Stax SRM-252S> SR-404 Lambda Signatures . My budget would be around $700 maybe $800 but I don't want to go that high.


Edited by Rinoue - 12/27/12 at 5:05pm
post #8 of 9

Hi Guys,

 

I would like to ask that, if i am using Tube DAC + Tube Amp... what is the sound result compare to i use SS DAC + Tube Amp?

 

If i am using Tube DAC + SS amp ... is it equal to SS DAC + Tube Amp?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoengJyh View Post
 

Hi Guys,

 

I would like to ask that, if i am using Tube DAC + Tube Amp... what is the sound result compare to i use SS DAC + Tube Amp?

 

If i am using Tube DAC + SS amp ... is it equal to SS DAC + Tube Amp?

 

Thanks in advance.

seems like your question is answered in the 2nd post lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Common thought is tube amp, ss DAC. Tubes color the signal (generally) so you want your source as pristine as possible. I run a tube DAC with SS amps for better efficiency on orthos at the moment.
 

So the best set-up would be a SS DAC + tube amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Tube Dac or Tube Amp, Which and Why?