hello i was lead to this site because of all the wealth of knowledge about headphones ,iem ect.. i am very virgin about it all but have been doing some reading here and other sites i have a budget of max 400$ i listen to all types of music im not a bass head but i would like to hear the song asif it were intended if bass is present but overall im really big on clarity i love live instruments of all types and when listening to a vocal record its a must the vocals come through clean and sharp as if im there live i guess like a suround sound overall effect is this too much to ask with a small budget of 400$ if so i may up it a little but not really what i want to do, ive read about some names on here like shure se535, westones,senniheiser ie80 ,ie60 ultimate ears just to name a few please i only need to choose between 2 or 3 solid great iem i know everyone here has their own opinion and the debate could go on for days but im sure we could come up with 3 hands down good pick that sound great across the board ... thanks ...
- itemAudio Technica ATH CK10 Portable In Ear Headphones
- itemAudio Technica CK100
- itemEtymotic ER 4P Portable In Ear Earphones
- itemEtymotic Research ER4B MicroPro Binaural In Ear Earphones
- itemEtymotic Research ER 4PT MicroPro Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones Black
- itemEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphones
- itemFischer Audio DBA 02
- itemHEAD DIRECT HiFiMan RE 262
- itemHEAD DIRECT RE0 In Ear Headphones
- itemHiFiMAN RE272
- itemShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones
- itemShure SE535 CL Triple High Definition MicroDriver Earphone With Detachable Cable Clear
- itemWestone 4 True Fit Earphones
Related Forum Threads
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 9/20/12 at 7:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Why dynamic drivers have better bass than BA drivers? Last post on 7/16/12 at 4:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM help: Looking for my last IEM Last post on 5/25/11 at 3:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Related Head Gear
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
looking for my first pair of nice iem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Etymotic ER-4 (P, PT, S, B) will all fit the bill for what you want.
Shure Models should also fit the bill with the vocals you seek.
Maybe a HiFiMan model might do? They have 2 new ones coming out, the RE400 and RE600 along with their older models. The RE262 has been recommended for vocals while the 272 seems to have sound closer along the lines of the Etymotic.
The Westone W4 is a warmer sound and tones the vocals that direction too. It isn't as "sharp" as you probably would want it.
If you haven't already done so, check out ljokerl's awesome IEM comparison:
IEMs that come to mind: Audio Technica CK10/CK100, Hifiman RE-2X2, Phonak PFE Series, Fischer Audio DBA-02, Etymotic ER-4P/S.
Based on your description, I would avoid Westone's universal IEMs, as well as Sennheiser's and Ultimate Ear's. Shure SE530/535 may be a decent fit.
BTW, if this is your first expensive IEM, I wouldn't jump directly into the $300-$400 range. If this was my first good pair of IEMs, I would pick something under $100 (Hifiman RE0 would be awesome in this respect) to ensure I knew exactly what type of sound signature I liked. Who knows, maybe the RE0 is all you really need.
Edited by violinvirtuoso - 12/29/12 at 3:54pm
I woulden't jump straight to a $400 IEM. There are high quality IEMs that have reduced price tags as they are recently discountinued, such as the Klipsch X10 and the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10.
You may also consider taking a look at the JVC FXZ100/200 thread. They may fit the type of sound you are looking for. I am not sure Etymotic ER4's will be what you would want to start with because you may find them to sound a bit thin or bass light... this is often the case when someone goes from more consumer grade sound signatures to the amazingly flat response of those Etys.
I second the idea of getting the RE0's for $50 as a place to start, they are also a great entry into a more analytical sound signature (though they are still slightly colored, which makes them fun!). Head-Direct also has pretty good customer service and you can return them within 30 days for your money back (just pay for return shipping).
- looking for my first pair of nice iem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 28 seconds ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 28 seconds ago
- › The Gaming Deals Thread 46 seconds ago
- › The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread 1 minute ago
- › New dude here 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70 4 minutes ago
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe