hello i was lead to this site because of all the wealth of knowledge about headphones ,iem ect.. i am very virgin about it all but have been doing some reading here and other sites i have a budget of max 400$ i listen to all types of music im not a bass head but i would like to hear the song asif it were intended if bass is present but overall im really big on clarity i love live instruments of all types and when listening to a vocal record its a must the vocals come through clean and sharp as if im there live i guess like a suround sound overall effect is this too much to ask with a small budget of 400$ if so i may up it a little but not really what i want to do, ive read about some names on here like shure se535, westones,senniheiser ie80 ,ie60 ultimate ears just to name a few please i only need to choose between 2 or 3 solid great iem i know everyone here has their own opinion and the debate could go on for days but im sure we could come up with 3 hands down good pick that sound great across the board ... thanks ...
- productAudio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productAudio Technica CK100tagged by System, 12/31/12
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productEtymotic Research ER4B MicroPro Binaural In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productEtymotic Research ER-4PT In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productFischer Audio DBA-02tagged by System, 12/31/12
- productHEAD-DIRECT HiFiMan RE-262tagged by System, 12/31/12
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 12/31/12More
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 12/31/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/31/12
Related Forum Threads
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Why dynamic drivers have better bass than BA drivers? Last post on 6/5/14 at 2:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM help: Looking for my last IEM Last post on 5/25/11 at 3:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
looking for my first pair of nice iem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Etymotic ER-4 (P, PT, S, B) will all fit the bill for what you want.
Shure Models should also fit the bill with the vocals you seek.
Maybe a HiFiMan model might do? They have 2 new ones coming out, the RE400 and RE600 along with their older models. The RE262 has been recommended for vocals while the 272 seems to have sound closer along the lines of the Etymotic.
The Westone W4 is a warmer sound and tones the vocals that direction too. It isn't as "sharp" as you probably would want it.
If you haven't already done so, check out ljokerl's awesome IEM comparison:
IEMs that come to mind: Audio Technica CK10/CK100, Hifiman RE-2X2, Phonak PFE Series, Fischer Audio DBA-02, Etymotic ER-4P/S.
Based on your description, I would avoid Westone's universal IEMs, as well as Sennheiser's and Ultimate Ear's. Shure SE530/535 may be a decent fit.
BTW, if this is your first expensive IEM, I wouldn't jump directly into the $300-$400 range. If this was my first good pair of IEMs, I would pick something under $100 (Hifiman RE0 would be awesome in this respect) to ensure I knew exactly what type of sound signature I liked. Who knows, maybe the RE0 is all you really need.
Edited by violinvirtuoso - 12/29/12 at 3:54pm
I woulden't jump straight to a $400 IEM. There are high quality IEMs that have reduced price tags as they are recently discountinued, such as the Klipsch X10 and the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10.
You may also consider taking a look at the JVC FXZ100/200 thread. They may fit the type of sound you are looking for. I am not sure Etymotic ER4's will be what you would want to start with because you may find them to sound a bit thin or bass light... this is often the case when someone goes from more consumer grade sound signatures to the amazingly flat response of those Etys.
I second the idea of getting the RE0's for $50 as a place to start, they are also a great entry into a more analytical sound signature (though they are still slightly colored, which makes them fun!). Head-Direct also has pretty good customer service and you can return them within 30 days for your money back (just pay for return shipping).
- looking for my first pair of nice iem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 seconds ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Help needed to choose a new pair of headphones??? 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan RE-600 Review 4 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 4 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 6 minutes ago
- › FS:Schiit Lyr [230V EU] + Extra tubes (Price drop) 6 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 7 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5D may be the king of Portable AMP/DACs in its price point. 7 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)