I just got a pair of HD650's for Christmas and love them when I am listening through our system, however much less impressed when listening through an iPod or my laptop. I am looking for a good portable amp on them, for under 150 (I would hope anyway) Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- iMac > ????? > HD 650 Last post on 11/9/12 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a good set and amp (newbie to this world) Last post on 3/27/13 at 4:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- E7 + E9 or other? Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- With $700, what should I buy? Last post on 1/25/13 at 10:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The fiio e9k would be an option for your laptop use. You could try the fiio e11 for your ipod. Not sure if they would be a good fit though as I have read the 650's don't play well with some audio equipment.
Here's a thread with a similar discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628846/fiio-e17-to-drive-sennheiser-hd650
Hope this helps.
Or if you want a nice all in one, you could try the fiio e7. I think it's very close to the point of diminishing returns and probably indistinguishable from something like the O2+ODAC, but I'm not certain of that. Haven't heard it myself.
Those are the two things I'd look at myself, e7 or O2+ODAC.
Hey, it's really cool that you post this in every thread with the name Fiio in it.
Seems silly to call Fiio "Chinese crud", based on the fact the products they release get almost universal praise.
I have a similar question. I would like to improve the sound of the ipod. I will get the rockbox and a dac+amp.
First - can we bypass the ipod's dac?
Second - can a portable amp like fiio be used with the ipod, on the laptop and finally as a dac connected to a desktop amp?
The only portable dac that i know to date that can bypasses idevices are Centrance M8, Fostex hpp1, NuFore iDo and CLAS (dac only - need external amps).
Yes, Fiio can be used with the ipod but it will not bypass the ipod internal DAC. Some Fiio products it has DAC function (such as Fiio E17) but only be paired with laptop/pc (not ipod).
I hope this help :)
One approach is to invest in a portable amp and a LOD cable.
The LOD bypasses the iPod's amplifier circuit (but not its DAC),
giving you a more clarity. That's how I do my portable setup
and really quite enjoy it.
I'm sure a combined DAC/AMP unit would be nice and I
may go that way in time. But to start I wanted to put as
much into the amp as I could. Just a thought.
- Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 16 seconds ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 52 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 4 minutes ago
- › Tools for Analyzing the Quality of Mastering 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › The scientific merit of Pono 8 minutes ago
- › Best UIEM to run with 9 minutes ago
- › PHONON SMB-02 - HOLY GRAIL 9 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)