I just got a pair of HD650's for Christmas and love them when I am listening through our system, however much less impressed when listening through an iPod or my laptop. I am looking for a good portable amp on them, for under 150 (I would hope anyway) Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- iMac > ????? > HD 650 Last post on 11/9/12 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a good set and amp (newbie to this world) Last post on 3/27/13 at 4:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- E7 + E9 or other? Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- With $700, what should I buy? Last post on 1/25/13 at 10:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The fiio e9k would be an option for your laptop use. You could try the fiio e11 for your ipod. Not sure if they would be a good fit though as I have read the 650's don't play well with some audio equipment.
Here's a thread with a similar discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628846/fiio-e17-to-drive-sennheiser-hd650
Hope this helps.
Or if you want a nice all in one, you could try the fiio e7. I think it's very close to the point of diminishing returns and probably indistinguishable from something like the O2+ODAC, but I'm not certain of that. Haven't heard it myself.
Those are the two things I'd look at myself, e7 or O2+ODAC.
Hey, it's really cool that you post this in every thread with the name Fiio in it.
Seems silly to call Fiio "Chinese crud", based on the fact the products they release get almost universal praise.
I have a similar question. I would like to improve the sound of the ipod. I will get the rockbox and a dac+amp.
First - can we bypass the ipod's dac?
Second - can a portable amp like fiio be used with the ipod, on the laptop and finally as a dac connected to a desktop amp?
The only portable dac that i know to date that can bypasses idevices are Centrance M8, Fostex hpp1, NuFore iDo and CLAS (dac only - need external amps).
Yes, Fiio can be used with the ipod but it will not bypass the ipod internal DAC. Some Fiio products it has DAC function (such as Fiio E17) but only be paired with laptop/pc (not ipod).
I hope this help :)
One approach is to invest in a portable amp and a LOD cable.
The LOD bypasses the iPod's amplifier circuit (but not its DAC),
giving you a more clarity. That's how I do my portable setup
and really quite enjoy it.
I'm sure a combined DAC/AMP unit would be nice and I
may go that way in time. But to start I wanted to put as
much into the amp as I could. Just a thought.
- Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Owners Unite 35 seconds ago
- › First post and looking for advice 36 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 41 seconds ago
- › New to high quality audio. 43 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 59 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Matrix Quattro amp: unboxing and initial impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)