I just got a pair of HD650's for Christmas and love them when I am listening through our system, however much less impressed when listening through an iPod or my laptop. I am looking for a good portable amp on them, for under 150 (I would hope anyway) Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- iMac > ????? > HD 650 Last post on 11/9/12 at 8:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good set and amp (newbie to this world) Last post on 3/27/13 at 4:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- E7 + E9 or other? Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- With $700, what should I buy? Last post on 1/25/13 at 10:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The fiio e9k would be an option for your laptop use. You could try the fiio e11 for your ipod. Not sure if they would be a good fit though as I have read the 650's don't play well with some audio equipment.
Here's a thread with a similar discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628846/fiio-e17-to-drive-sennheiser-hd650
Hope this helps.
Or if you want a nice all in one, you could try the fiio e7. I think it's very close to the point of diminishing returns and probably indistinguishable from something like the O2+ODAC, but I'm not certain of that. Haven't heard it myself.
Those are the two things I'd look at myself, e7 or O2+ODAC.
Hey, it's really cool that you post this in every thread with the name Fiio in it.
Seems silly to call Fiio "Chinese crud", based on the fact the products they release get almost universal praise.
I have a similar question. I would like to improve the sound of the ipod. I will get the rockbox and a dac+amp.
First - can we bypass the ipod's dac?
Second - can a portable amp like fiio be used with the ipod, on the laptop and finally as a dac connected to a desktop amp?
The only portable dac that i know to date that can bypasses idevices are Centrance M8, Fostex hpp1, NuFore iDo and CLAS (dac only - need external amps).
Yes, Fiio can be used with the ipod but it will not bypass the ipod internal DAC. Some Fiio products it has DAC function (such as Fiio E17) but only be paired with laptop/pc (not ipod).
I hope this help :)
One approach is to invest in a portable amp and a LOD cable.
The LOD bypasses the iPod's amplifier circuit (but not its DAC),
giving you a more clarity. That's how I do my portable setup
and really quite enjoy it.
I'm sure a combined DAC/AMP unit would be nice and I
may go that way in time. But to start I wanted to put as
much into the amp as I could. Just a thought.
- Need Amp Sennheiser HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FIscher Audio FA011 Question 33 seconds ago
- › FS: JKenny Ciunas DAC 37 seconds ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 1 minute ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 2 minutes ago
- › Car audio, budget system 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Which DAC/AMP for Hifiman He-400? 3 minutes ago
- › I have a great opportunity to purchase ear phones at a steep... 3 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob