- 3 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryDACstagged by System, 1/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- DAC vs AMP Last post on 4/4/15 at 9:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details Last post on Yesterday at 8:35 am in Dedicated Source Components
- "Headphone Amplifier With DAC" - iPhone Lightning to Headphone Jack Last post on 12/16/16 at 11:17am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 9/8/16 at 1:40am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Where is the pitfall? [MBP -> Speakers]post #1 of 312/24/12 at 12:02pmThread StarterI'm experiencing some issues with my audio setup. My speakers have an integrated amp.Here is what I found through testing (when I'm using lower volume on the source, I increase the amp volume to compensate):- Integrated CD player -> Speakers: Optimal- MacBook Pro @ min. volume -> Speakers: OK- iPod @ min. volume -> Speakers: OK- MacBook Pro @ max. volume -> Speakers: Horrible, unlistenable- iPod @ max. volume -> Speakers: Horrible, unlistenableThe results are quite puzzling, as I'd expect a higher source volume to be better, because it increases the bit depth. What could be causing this distortion? I'm always playing lossless CD rips on the source, which is connected via its headphone jack.How can I improve the quality? Should I buy a standalone DAC? TIA.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 312/24/12 at 6:40pm
The bit depth has nothing to do with this - you are using analog connection.
What you are experiencing at the max volume is a combination of two things:
- analog distortions caused by the device's amp working beyond its optimal range.
- the signal is too strong for the speakers' input.
Both can be cured quite easily by setting the volume on your iPod and MacBook somewhere in between. A good way to find the right level is to keep increasing the volume until you start hearing the distortions and then back out 10-20%. After that use the speakers' volume control to adjust the listening level.
An external DAC may help further, but make sure it can connect to all your source devices, as iPod doesn't have any of the standard digital connectors.post #3 of 312/26/12 at 12:29pm
What it is ,is the volume pot the higher u turn it up the the less masking effect on the sound it has, its how they are thats why people modify theyre amps with stepped attenuators, digital attenuation doesnt mask so much so its better to turn the volume as high as youu can and just usee the digital volume conttrol.
- Where is the pitfall? [MBP -> Speakers]
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Audio-GD NFB-1AMP 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 12 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 17 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 18 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 21 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 21 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 21 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 22 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 22 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 23 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear