Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH M50 vs V MODA M-80
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH M50 vs V MODA M-80

Poll Results: ATH M50 or V MODA M-80?

 
  • 18% (5)
    ATH M50
  • 81% (22)
    V MODA M-80
27 Total Votes  
post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

I am currently stuck deciding between these two headsets. I am aware that the V MODA is not a full size and is on-ear can. I can have them shipped to Canada brand new for these prices:
 

ATH M50 to Canada: 147$

V MODA M-80: $197

 

I mostly want to use the headphone for home to listen to music, movies and minimal gaming. I listen to rap, hip hop, rnb, dubstep, little bit of rock, electro.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 17
Thread Starter 

Anything?

post #3 of 17

How much could you get the AKG K167s for? 

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

About $200. I don't really like the style of them either :(


Edited by TheGhost - 12/24/12 at 11:47am
post #5 of 17

Yeup, then go with them if you can. If those are too pricey (which the shouldn't be considering they are 3 bucks more than the Vmodas) then go with the M50s. 

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Yeup, then go with them if you can. If those are too pricey (which the shouldn't be considering they are 3 bucks more than the Vmodas) then go with the M50s. 

I don't really like how they look, they seem a bit bulky. 

post #7 of 17

Go with the Vmoda.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post

I don't really like how they look, they seem a bit bulky. 

 

They aren't. That picture is really misleading. I was actually surprised at how small they were when I got to try them out the other day. 

 

My thing is that I directly compared the K167s and the M50s, and I didn't like either of them for normal music sock as classic rock, classical, jazz, and lot of other things, but the bass was a lot better on the K167s than it was on the M50s. It was much cleaner and it didn't effect the mids too much. 

 

Honestly, if it weren't for your taste of music, I would probably direct you to some better audio technica headphones. But considering you listen to a lot of bassy music, the K167s are the way to go. 

post #9 of 17

If you live in Canada, you can always try buying within Canada. Saves on import/customs fee even though you can't save on taxes. Depending how they're declared you can be in for a huge surprise when they arrive at your door. Also depending on the postal service used.

 

Currently M50:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_766_780&item_id=042057

The straight cable version is regular price.

The silver LE also.

 

Currently M80:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_1105&item_id=049712

The black version is regular price.

 

Prices are pretty similar, and I don't know how much shipping could be. Also ends pretty soon (like today and tomorrow?!) with less choices in colors for the same price.

Well, just an option.

 

 

As for which of the two, unfortunately I've own neither and cannot really give a sound judgement.

**EDIT** Let me add that I've never worn the M80's so I don't have personal opinions on it's comfort and sound.

 

**EDIT2** I'm an idiot and linked the same URL twice. Fixed that.


Edited by kalbee - 12/24/12 at 8:40pm
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

If you live in Canada, you can always try buying within Canada. Saves on import/customs fee even though you can't save on taxes. Depending how they're declared you can be in for a huge surprise when they arrive at your door. Also depending on the postal service used.

 

Currently M50:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_766_780&item_id=042057

The straight cable version is regular price.

The silver LE also.

 

Currently M80:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_766_780&item_id=042057

The black version is regular price.

 

Prices are pretty similar, and I don't know how much shipping could be. Also ends pretty soon (like today and tomorrow?!) with less choices in colors for the same price.

Well, just an option.

 

 

As for which of the two, unfortunately I've own neither and cannot really give a sound judgement.

**EDIT** Let me add that I've never worn the M80's so I don't have personal opinions on it's comfort and sound.

I can get the ATH M50 and/or the V MODA from Amazon US, there is no custom fees since they are calculated at the end right before you order.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post

I can get the ATH M50 and/or the V MODA from Amazon US, there is no custom fees since they are calculated at the end right before you order.

Oooh, good to know :D thanks for the info

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

Oooh, good to know :D thanks for the info

My pleasure? haha. If you use their service, have fun. I find that it's actually pretty good and also bhphotovideo, I ordered my HFI 580s from them, it took 3 days to get to my house and no fees !!! 

post #13 of 17

I'll check it out once the upgrade bug comes again xP

 

Oh and, I just noticed I had previously posted the same link twice. Fixed that.

So that's M50 (coiled) $149.99

and M80 (white) $159.99

 

Did not check how much shipping costs, if any, I usually just go to the store since there finally is one locally.

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

I'll check it out once the upgrade bug comes again xP

 

Oh and, I just noticed I had previously posted the same link twice. Fixed that.

So that's M50 (coiled) $149.99

and M80 (white) $159.99

 

Did not check how much shipping costs, if any, I usually just go to the store since there finally is one locally.

There's a Canada Computer in front of my house. I decided to get the M-80s. Most votes went for it and I already own the HFI 580 which has been known to be better than the M50 for most. Problem with Canada Computers is that, it's the white version which doesn't really interest me total comes to $184 anyways without the shipping (if I order, which I'd have to do since it's Xmas tomorrow and store will be closed and sale lasts until tomorrow only). Headphonebar.com has it for a good price online, total comes to $189 and it's the black version. 

post #15 of 17

Hm... I did not check headphonebar @_@ because I wasn't sure if they charge both GST & QST (based on the total you calculated I'll just assume you live in Quebec too, though I can be wrong)... but now looking at it, it says that they price match for a limited time!!

I don't know if they will do it for different colours but it may be worth a try... although tomorrow most if not all stores are closed and the Canada Computers sale ends tomorrow.

 

If headphonebar only charges GST then the black version (and white one) will definitely be cheaper than paying full taxes. Otherwise price match @ Canada Computer will cost almost the same for the black one, assuming the price at headphonebar will remain unchanged at least until boxing day.

 

Another problem with Canada Computers when it comes to headphones: no returns (for hygienic reasons, they say) or minimum 5% restocking fee.

 

Anyway >_< good luck!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH M50 vs V MODA M-80