Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones sub-$400 for Dubstep/EDM/Electro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones sub-$400 for Dubstep/EDM/Electro? - Page 7

post #91 of 100

I have D2000 and can only recommend them.

 

I guess i would personally try out the V-Moda M100.

The HE400 is an amazing can.

 

The Pro900s are trash for me. Same goes to the XB1000s.

post #92 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

Do not spend too much on amps... worry about your headphone choice. I recommend a E10.

 

I think you should look into the V-Moda M100 and Mad Dogs. 

 

I'll comment on the Mad Dogs since I have them. They have very tamed treble and if you listen to this can, that will be the biggest difference compared to the Ultrasones you own. I would not call the Mad Dogs basshead cans but what makes them enjoyable for bassy music is the fact that the bass is a prominent part of the sound spectrum. In addition, they respond well to EQ, if that extra oomph in the bass is desired. Also, since they do not have a harsh treble, music sounds "dark" which I find great for a lot of music. 

 

Best regards, 

Have you listened to electronic music on them? (EDM, electro, dubstep). If so, did you enjoy your experience listening to them compared to non-dark cans?

post #93 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

Have you listened to electronic music on them? (EDM, electro, dubstep). If so, did you enjoy your experience listening to them compared to non-dark cans?

I sure did. I loved the D2000 for those genres but its treble was annoying at times. 

 

The V-Moda M100, from what I can see and have heard, is a dark can as well (tamed treble). It is bassier than the Mad Dogs so maybe you may prefer it. 

post #94 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

I sure did. I loved the D2000 for those genres but its treble was annoying at times. 

 

The V-Moda M100, from what I can see and have heard, is a dark can as well (tamed treble). It is bassier than the Mad Dogs so maybe you may prefer it. 

Nay, I am no basshead. I actually prefer bass that is present, and I prefer well-defined punchy bass rather than a large quantity of bass. The Ultrasone Pro 900's were already overwhelming at times. I enjoy the clarity of sound and punchiness of bass of my Ultrasone HFI-780's, but they don't give out enough bass.

 

My only concern is, what does it take to drive the Mad Dogs? The Orthos drivers are not easy to drive from what I hear. Is it something a Cmoy can drive? Maybe I can run a Cmoy + dedicated DAC setup. I'm looking to lug it around school all day, so I don't want to carry a big box amp/dac.


Edited by gmoney9438 - 12/29/12 at 11:44am
post #95 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

Nay, I am no basshead. I actually prefer bass that is present, and I prefer well-defined punchy bass rather than a large quantity of bass. The Ultrasone Pro 900's were already overwhelming at times. I enjoy the clarity of sound and punchiness of bass of my Ultrasone HFI-780's, but they don't give out enough bass.

 

My only concern is, what does it take to drive the Mad Dogs? The Orthos drivers are not easy to drive from what I hear. Is it something a Cmoy can drive? Maybe I can run a Cmoy + dedicated DAC setup. I'm looking to lug it around school all day, so I don't want to carry a big box amp/dac.

I'm not qualified to say. Some orthos are notorious to drive (HE-6) while others like the HE-400 and Mad Dogs are generally agreed to not take much to drive. If you are going to use cans for portable use, then maybe the V-Moda M100 should be your can of choice. The Mad Dogs can be portable, but you need a separate case with it. 

post #96 of 100
Thread Starter 

Well I'm a big clarity guy. I like my music to sound crystal clear with good bass. I've listened to my brother's m-80's and from what I recall, they weren't too focused on clarity, but more on bass quantity. Still, the m-80's and the m-100's are different headphones. That's why I'm a bit skeptical about V-Moda's.

 

EDIT: I forgot to ask you. What are you driving your Mad Dogs with?


Edited by gmoney9438 - 12/29/12 at 12:41pm
post #97 of 100

Alright, so I got some Mad Dogs today and here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I'm using an iPod/Macbook to drive them... My amp is still being shipped to me. 

 

They are hard to drive from a device like this, however at maximum volume on the iPod they are just right. As for the sound quality, it is fantastic. I can clearly see why people love these headphones. They are very clear and don't emphasize anything at all. Nothing, not the mids, not the highs, not the lows bleed into anything or ruin the whole experience. They are just a very well balanced headphone.

 

The only thing that I have to say about them is that the bass is not QUITE there. It's very close, but personally I need just a little more bass. This might have something to do with the music I'm using or the fact that I'm using an iPod to drive them, I don't know. I have a digizoid ZO2 coming in a few days, and this device apparently boosts the bass on devices without messing with the rest of the music. I will be curious to see what happens when I use it with the MD's.

 

I think if there were headphones out there with as much clarity as the Mad Dogs with a little more bass, I would definitely grab them. I don't think such headphones exist in this price range. I'm hoping the amp will make that happen, but we'll see.  

 

 

Edit: Just played this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcyXE5xPbDk It's a "Subwoofer test". These definitely have perfect bass. They just need more power. I'll be keeping these.


Edited by Goofy145 - 12/29/12 at 6:05pm
post #98 of 100

V-MODA has a 60 day test drive guarantee for the M-100's, try the M-100's.

post #99 of 100
another vote for the d2k's here
post #100 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

PRO900s are a love or hate headphone. They benefit from amping but not a whole lot. The treble can be piercing for some, and the placement of the headphone affects the sound a lot too.

 

I use mine primarily with a JDS C421 custom fitted with an AD823 opamp.

 

Treble isn't too sibilant for me in this config. I either use my iphone 4 or this cheap-o ELE DAC I found on another thread on here as my source.

 

Sounds absolutely amazing with KMFDM/VNV Nation/Skrillex/Bassnectar/Etc.

 

M100 may be a safer bet as they seem to be more unanimously liked.


Edited by mab1376 - 12/29/12 at 7:02pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones sub-$400 for Dubstep/EDM/Electro?