Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › First Custom IEM ($600-700 budget)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Custom IEM ($600-700 budget) - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Maybe he wants something different? Well, it does depend per person. Some people say there's a drastic change between the two, and others don't.

 

Yeah, I'd like to try something new -- I also have a feeling that for this budget, I'd be able to get something a bit better than what I currently have.

 

EDIT: Also, I believe I'd have to send my impressions to China for the Heirs, which is a bit of a no-go for me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post


Every company started out never being heard of. The Janus Group, who owns Gorilla Ears, has been around for 10 years and has multiple patents. They have more claim to fame than alot of the CIEM companies that everyone mentions. Thats why I got a set. The finish on them is just as good or better than any CIEM Ive seen pictures for. Ive worked with the president of the company on a personal basis and he is very quick to respond and knowledgeable about the entire process.

 

True, but I'd like to know something about the sound signature of the IEM before buying it. Right now, I would have no idea what it sounded like.

post #17 of 27

You could always ask for demos. I know 1964 Ears provides demos for their monitors. 

And although I know you would prefer something in the US, there are much more options stationed outside the country. I risked it hoping that I wouldn't have to do any remolds, but I am confident that I will have a satisfying CIEM in terms of SQ. Just some food for thought.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

If you like the 4.Ai, why not get the 4.A?

 

Hey, not trying to get off topic, but I noticed you have the 7X. How does it sound??

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

Hey, not trying to get off topic, but I noticed you have the 7X. How does it sound??

I only listened to it for a few hours before sending it back for a re-shell. My left monitor wasn't giving me a good seal =/

 

They got my new impression today so it should be 2 or 2.5 weeks til I get them back.

post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

You could always ask for demos. I know 1964 Ears provides demos for their monitors. 

And although I know you would prefer something in the US, there are much more options stationed outside the country. I risked it hoping that I wouldn't have to do any remolds, but I am confident that I will have a satisfying CIEM in terms of SQ. Just some food for thought.

 

Didn't know that, I'll definitely ask for a demo!

 

But yeah, this would be a first custom, so I might have to do remolds and don't want to go outside the country. For a second one though, I'd definitely consider something outside the US.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

I only listened to it for a few hours before sending it back for a re-shell. My left monitor wasn't giving me a good seal =/

 

They got my new impression today so it should be 2 or 2.5 weeks til I get them back.

 

Hmm... Really temped but I still need to be 100% sure I want it lol. That is HE-500 money...

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

You could always ask for demos. I know 1964 Ears provides demos for their monitors. 

And although I know you would prefer something in the US, there are much more options stationed outside the country. I risked it hoping that I wouldn't have to do any remolds, but I am confident that I will have a satisfying CIEM in terms of SQ. Just some food for thought.

 

Unfortunately, in my experience, demos many times aren't representative of the real thing as the bass and treble are generally different, and can be so different they sound like a different headphone.  However, if you like a demo, chances are you will like the real thing as they do sound better, and maybe much better.  The reason I bring this up is that some have been turned off by demos while the real thing is much better and worth the cost.

 

As far as impressions, the best advice I can give is to have the audiologist put the dams as deep in your ears as is comfortable/possible.  The deeper the impression goes, the more accurate the canal portion of the impressions, and the better the fit of the CIEM.  The canal being too small is probably (and I am guessing based off of talking and reading about refits) 60%+ of the issues.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

Hmm... Really temped but I still need to be 100% sure I want it lol. That is HE-500 money...

Yeah, I'm debating on whether or not I should buy a second pair of CIEMs or a nice set of cans like HE-400 or D5000. I like my HD-600, but I'd really like a closed can with a bigger bass presence that will tune out the sometimes obnoxious people I live with.
However, from a few hours of poor fit, I can tell I enjoy the 7X sound signature, but I'm not entirely sure that it has enough detail and resolution to leave me truly happy with complicated classical piano pieces, like the ER4 did. One thing is for sure though, the bass is not overbearing, but it hits so deep and hard when called for. I was blown away listening to one of my favorite industrial bands Einstürzende Neubauten. I'm really anxious to get them back, but based solely on what I've read, they seem to be very close to what people describe the 8.A as. However, I don't know if they are as forgiving as the 8.A of poorly mastered tracks. 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

Unfortunately, in my experience, demos many times aren't representative of the real thing as the bass and treble are generally different, and can be so different they sound like a different headphone.  However, if you like a demo, chances are you will like the real thing as they do sound better, and maybe much better.  The reason I bring this up is that some have been turned off by demos while the real thing is much better and worth the cost.

 

As far as impressions, the best advice I can give is to have the audiologist put the dams as deep in your ears as is comfortable/possible.  The deeper the impression goes, the more accurate the canal portion of the impressions, and the better the fit of the CIEM.  The canal being too small is probably (and I am guessing based off of talking and reading about refits) 60%+ of the issues.

Yeah, the audiologist I went to primarily works with hearing aids, which I don't think go as deep as CIEMs? So when he did my impressions the first time, they weren't nearly deep enough to provide a good seal. Second time's the charm hopefully.

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

 

Yeah, I'm debating on whether or not I should buy a second pair of CIEMs or a nice set of cans like HE-400 or D5000. I like my HD-600, but I'd really like a closed can with a bigger bass presence that will tune out the sometimes obnoxious people I live with.
However, from a few hours of poor fit, I can tell I enjoy the 7X sound signature, but I'm not entirely sure that it has enough detail and resolution to leave me truly happy with complicated classical piano pieces, like the ER4 did. One thing is for sure though, the bass is not overbearing, but it hits so deep and hard when called for. I was blown away listening to one of my favorite industrial bands Einstürzende Neubauten. I'm really anxious to get them back, but based solely on what I've read, they seem to be very close to what people describe the 8.A as. However, I don't know if they are as forgiving as the 8.A of poorly mastered tracks. 

 

Hmm, that worries me... Detail is huge for me and hearing how the 5X has lacking detail in the mids, that's sort of making me think twice... But the bass seems sooo tempting... How's the treble? I like my treble to be mildly bright.

post #25 of 27

I really shouldn't comment further on the sound of the 7X haha, because I feel like I'd be discrediting them. I only used them a few times when I lifted weights so I listened to more bass heavy stuff like Rage Against the Machine, KRS-One, Mos Def. I didn't get a chance to sit down and do analytical listening with a broad variety of genres, and I only listened to them out of my Sansa Clip+.

post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

Hmm, that worries me... Detail is huge for me and hearing how the 5X has lacking detail in the mids, that's sort of making me think twice... But the bass seems sooo tempting... How's the treble? I like my treble to be mildly bright.

 

The 5X is more detailed than the Reference, but then it is also $165 more expensive.  Not sure where the RSM stands.

post #27 of 27

Most CIEM companies will give you instructions on how they need their molds done for the CIEM process.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › First Custom IEM ($600-700 budget)