I wear glasses with relatively thick rims and find it's nearly impossible to get a really good seal with full-size circum-aural headphones. Does this have any impact on the sound of open-back headphones, or does a seal really only matter with IEMs and closed-back headphones?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/25/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 12/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Ideal set-up for classical under $450? (Beyerdynamic dt880 vs HiFiMan HE-400 Last post on Today at 9:09 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone-palooza shoot-out! 8 cans reviewed here! Last post on 9/20/14 at 4:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-400 + Creative ZXR for gaming/music/movies? Last post on 6/12/13 at 4:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones are better for me? Last post on 4/4/13 at 1:13am in Headphones (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Seal will matter even for a open-back. Most of my open-back headphones are supra-aural though so I'll wait for someone else with appropriate gears to chime in.
Though I'd reckon it still does affect the sound, since the open-back design does not relate directly to the sound going towards your ears.
I'm inclined to accept that it does make a difference, but still curious. With open headphones, unlike closed, the sound won't be bouncing around in the cups so it seems like the location and angle of the drivers would be the only thing that affects the sound significantly.
Not as much with some.
With my HE-400's, there is a gap behind my ears. If I push them towards my head to make the seal better there isn't a significant change in sound.
These are some of the most open headphones out there though. It's likely different with others.
maybe you could try to wear them with and without your glasses to see if you can hear any differences? thats the only sure way to find out, but i guess that it would to some degree, most probably cause a more tinny sound and less bass
I'm honestly not sure if my Q701's are really sealing around my ears. If it is sealing then it is a very light seal, because there are a couple spots that seem like very small gaps are left. If anything, this would effect bass, and I have no complaints about their bass.
- Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 1 minute ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003i + Comply Tips 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)