I wear glasses with relatively thick rims and find it's nearly impossible to get a really good seal with full-size circum-aural headphones. Does this have any impact on the sound of open-back headphones, or does a seal really only matter with IEMs and closed-back headphones?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/25/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 12/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Ideal set-up for classical under $450? (Beyerdynamic dt880 vs HiFiMan HE-400 Last post on 9/10/14 at 8:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone-palooza shoot-out! 8 cans reviewed here! Last post on Today at 4:22 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-400 + Creative ZXR for gaming/music/movies? Last post on 6/12/13 at 4:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones are better for me? Last post on 4/4/13 at 1:13am in Headphones (full-size)
Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Seal will matter even for a open-back. Most of my open-back headphones are supra-aural though so I'll wait for someone else with appropriate gears to chime in.
Though I'd reckon it still does affect the sound, since the open-back design does not relate directly to the sound going towards your ears.
I'm inclined to accept that it does make a difference, but still curious. With open headphones, unlike closed, the sound won't be bouncing around in the cups so it seems like the location and angle of the drivers would be the only thing that affects the sound significantly.
Not as much with some.
With my HE-400's, there is a gap behind my ears. If I push them towards my head to make the seal better there isn't a significant change in sound.
These are some of the most open headphones out there though. It's likely different with others.
maybe you could try to wear them with and without your glasses to see if you can hear any differences? thats the only sure way to find out, but i guess that it would to some degree, most probably cause a more tinny sound and less bass
I'm honestly not sure if my Q701's are really sealing around my ears. If it is sealing then it is a very light seal, because there are a couple spots that seem like very small gaps are left. If anything, this would effect bass, and I have no complaints about their bass.
- Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 54 seconds ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 1 minute ago
- › Tools for Analyzing the Quality of Mastering 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 8 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 8 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 9 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 10 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)