I wear glasses with relatively thick rims and find it's nearly impossible to get a really good seal with full-size circum-aural headphones. Does this have any impact on the sound of open-back headphones, or does a seal really only matter with IEMs and closed-back headphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones are better for me? Last post on 4/4/13 at 1:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 3/12/13 at 5:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- About to spend 400$ on cans, please help me make a good decision! Lots of details provided. Last post on 4/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open backed headphones, $200ish Last post on 1/16/13 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Music genres and headphone characteristics to complement them? Last post on 1/10/13 at 2:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Seal will matter even for a open-back. Most of my open-back headphones are supra-aural though so I'll wait for someone else with appropriate gears to chime in.
Though I'd reckon it still does affect the sound, since the open-back design does not relate directly to the sound going towards your ears.
I'm inclined to accept that it does make a difference, but still curious. With open headphones, unlike closed, the sound won't be bouncing around in the cups so it seems like the location and angle of the drivers would be the only thing that affects the sound significantly.
Not as much with some.
With my HE-400's, there is a gap behind my ears. If I push them towards my head to make the seal better there isn't a significant change in sound.
These are some of the most open headphones out there though. It's likely different with others.
maybe you could try to wear them with and without your glasses to see if you can hear any differences? thats the only sure way to find out, but i guess that it would to some degree, most probably cause a more tinny sound and less bass
I'm honestly not sure if my Q701's are really sealing around my ears. If it is sealing then it is a very light seal, because there are a couple spots that seem like very small gaps are left. If anything, this would effect bass, and I have no complaints about their bass.
- Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 16 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 17 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 36 seconds ago
- › New Abyss planar magnetic headphone 45 seconds ago
- › FS: Fitear F111/ To Go! 111 iem incl. shipping 1 minute ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Freqphase and Lantos 3D Digital Ear Scanner - Head-Fi TV -... 2 minutes ago
- › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe