I wear glasses with relatively thick rims and find it's nearly impossible to get a really good seal with full-size circum-aural headphones. Does this have any impact on the sound of open-back headphones, or does a seal really only matter with IEMs and closed-back headphones?
- productAKG Q701Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/25/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 12/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Which headphones are better for me? Last post on 4/4/13 at 1:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- About to spend 400$ on cans, please help me make a good decision! Lots of details provided. Last post on 6/13/13 at 11:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open backed headphones, $200ish Last post on 1/16/13 at 3:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Music genres and headphone characteristics to complement them? Last post on 1/10/13 at 2:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Do open-back headphones need a seal?post #1 of 712/23/12 at 5:22pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 712/23/12 at 5:25pmpost #3 of 712/23/12 at 5:25pm
Seal will matter even for a open-back. Most of my open-back headphones are supra-aural though so I'll wait for someone else with appropriate gears to chime in.
Though I'd reckon it still does affect the sound, since the open-back design does not relate directly to the sound going towards your ears.post #4 of 712/24/12 at 7:44amThread Starter
I'm inclined to accept that it does make a difference, but still curious. With open headphones, unlike closed, the sound won't be bouncing around in the cups so it seems like the location and angle of the drivers would be the only thing that affects the sound significantly.post #5 of 712/24/12 at 7:51am
Not as much with some.
With my HE-400's, there is a gap behind my ears. If I push them towards my head to make the seal better there isn't a significant change in sound.
These are some of the most open headphones out there though. It's likely different with others.post #6 of 712/24/12 at 7:54am
maybe you could try to wear them with and without your glasses to see if you can hear any differences? thats the only sure way to find out, but i guess that it would to some degree, most probably cause a more tinny sound and less basspost #7 of 712/24/12 at 11:57am
I'm honestly not sure if my Q701's are really sealing around my ears. If it is sealing then it is a very light seal, because there are a couple spots that seem like very small gaps are left. If anything, this would effect bass, and I have no complaints about their bass.
- Do open-back headphones need a seal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 23 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 27 seconds ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 2 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 2 minutes ago
- › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] 4 minutes ago
- › Klipsch X10/X10i vs X11i 4 minutes ago
- › Open headphones under $250. 4 minutes ago
- › Cardas EM5813 - Brand New Unopened Box 4 minutes ago
- › Anyone heard / own USB Wireworld Starlight, Starlight 7, or... 4 minutes ago
- › Best source for gaming with an AKG Q701? 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe