Midhead and EQ
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- MATCHING HEADPHONES, CABLES AND AMPLIFIERS: HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE (Part 1 of 2) Last post on 8/9/14 at 5:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 6
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (40)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (45)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
8% (22)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (89)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
3% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
14% (36)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
5% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
RE: Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?Treblehead or basshead, none if them! Neutral! But lately i found out when there are strong basses the music bexomes more pleasureable..
Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
So you are a "neutral with slight bass tilt" head (pretty common), meaning you will probably dig planars.
I love music? If it sounds crap I stop listening and listen to something else!
When I bought my headphones I went to a local hi-fi shop and listened until I found the sound I liked with my music. This is clearly why I fail to see the logic behind buying high quality, and usually expensive headphones/speakers/amps/dacs e.t.c, and then trying to alter the sound they make by adding distortion
I guess I'm a purist, but I just love music, and bow to the expertise of the artists and recording engineers.
But of course this is just my opinion and ymmv!
Edit: I was going to say ' Flathead ' but I like my music to sound as it did when it was recorded, which is rarely flat....so I guess I'm ' seeking something else '
Edited by Finguz - 1/4/13 at 5:40am
Depends on my mood...
Sometimes I long for flatness, sometimes for epic bass...
Sometimes I geek out on EQ tweaking, sometimes it's all about 'stage...
There's a place in my heart for whichever gear I buy
I guess that's why I feel so at home on Head-fi...
I think I'm firmly in the Treblehead camp.
I started my journey with IEMs, starting with V-Moda Vibes and Hippo VB's. Didn't know much about sound back then, so I just went for the bassiest sets I could find. Moved onto full sized cans after that, getting my hands on a Sony XB500. Bass was great but I really hated how the rest of the spectrum sounded muffled and terrible. M50's were eye-openers for me, giving me an overall better sound that I was searching for.
I wanted in on more, so I gave a shot at the 300+ market, trying an Ultrasone Pro 900 just over a year ago. At the time, I recall how clear and sharp the sound was, I was hooked instantly. People called the Pro 900's sibilant and bright but I loved every moment of it. Memories of an unburnt Pro 900 still give me the goosebumps, that effect having long gone. Having recently bought a AKG K550, I think I'm solidly liking brighter sound signatures.
I've tried headphones like the HD600 and whilst smooth and relaxing, it just doesn't feel like I'd want to listen to them for many songs. My Dad, also being an audiophile (albeit a speaker one) seems to be convinced HD600's sound superior overall, telling me that as I move up headphones, I'll eventually turn to darker sound.
I guess only time will tell.
i suddenly realize how much my preference towards bass has changed since 2 years ago,
coming from a HD202 i thought the SRH940 had absolutely no bass. but now i find that the SRH940 has enough bass and the HD558 has pretty powerful midbass
Yes I have different EQ for different genres and also quality of the source file... I have a bit of an OCD problem with tweaking the 32 band EQ on foobar...
Smooth EQ setting for poor quality source files.
Uber bass setting for electronic music.
Flat setting for other genres...
1000th post oh yes.
Edited by nicholars - 2/4/13 at 6:10am
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 18 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 37 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 48 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › TV: Sound bar or 5.1 ? 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 2 minutes ago
- › FIIO e10 and LYR 1 , ACCESSORIES COMPLETE SYSTEM 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones 4 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 6 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)