Midhead and EQ
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 6
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (41)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (46)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
9% (24)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (90)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
3% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
14% (37)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
4% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
RE: Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?Treblehead or basshead, none if them! Neutral! But lately i found out when there are strong basses the music bexomes more pleasureable..
Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
So you are a "neutral with slight bass tilt" head (pretty common), meaning you will probably dig planars.
I love music? If it sounds crap I stop listening and listen to something else!
When I bought my headphones I went to a local hi-fi shop and listened until I found the sound I liked with my music. This is clearly why I fail to see the logic behind buying high quality, and usually expensive headphones/speakers/amps/dacs e.t.c, and then trying to alter the sound they make by adding distortion
I guess I'm a purist, but I just love music, and bow to the expertise of the artists and recording engineers.
But of course this is just my opinion and ymmv!
Edit: I was going to say ' Flathead ' but I like my music to sound as it did when it was recorded, which is rarely flat....so I guess I'm ' seeking something else '
Edited by Finguz - 1/4/13 at 5:40am
Depends on my mood...
Sometimes I long for flatness, sometimes for epic bass...
Sometimes I geek out on EQ tweaking, sometimes it's all about 'stage...
There's a place in my heart for whichever gear I buy
I guess that's why I feel so at home on Head-fi...
I think I'm firmly in the Treblehead camp.
I started my journey with IEMs, starting with V-Moda Vibes and Hippo VB's. Didn't know much about sound back then, so I just went for the bassiest sets I could find. Moved onto full sized cans after that, getting my hands on a Sony XB500. Bass was great but I really hated how the rest of the spectrum sounded muffled and terrible. M50's were eye-openers for me, giving me an overall better sound that I was searching for.
I wanted in on more, so I gave a shot at the 300+ market, trying an Ultrasone Pro 900 just over a year ago. At the time, I recall how clear and sharp the sound was, I was hooked instantly. People called the Pro 900's sibilant and bright but I loved every moment of it. Memories of an unburnt Pro 900 still give me the goosebumps, that effect having long gone. Having recently bought a AKG K550, I think I'm solidly liking brighter sound signatures.
I've tried headphones like the HD600 and whilst smooth and relaxing, it just doesn't feel like I'd want to listen to them for many songs. My Dad, also being an audiophile (albeit a speaker one) seems to be convinced HD600's sound superior overall, telling me that as I move up headphones, I'll eventually turn to darker sound.
I guess only time will tell.
i suddenly realize how much my preference towards bass has changed since 2 years ago,
coming from a HD202 i thought the SRH940 had absolutely no bass. but now i find that the SRH940 has enough bass and the HD558 has pretty powerful midbass
Yes I have different EQ for different genres and also quality of the source file... I have a bit of an OCD problem with tweaking the 32 band EQ on foobar...
Smooth EQ setting for poor quality source files.
Uber bass setting for electronic music.
Flat setting for other genres...
1000th post oh yes.
Edited by nicholars - 2/4/13 at 6:10am
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado GH-1 Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 3 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Best format for ripping CD's 6 minutes ago
- › Fatal flaw with Audeze EL-8 ??? 6 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2