Midhead and EQ
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Stereo Amplifier as headphone amplifier? Does it work? Last post on 3/23/14 at 7:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 6
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
234 Total Votespost #76 of 1001/3/13 at 8:54pm
15% (36)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (40)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
8% (19)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
36% (85)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
4% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
13% (32)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
5% (12)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 1001/3/13 at 9:18pmpost #78 of 1001/3/13 at 10:35pmpost #79 of 1001/3/13 at 10:41pm
RE: Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?Treblehead or basshead, none if them! Neutral! But lately i found out when there are strong basses the music bexomes more pleasureable..
Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Expresspost #80 of 1001/3/13 at 10:48pmQuote:
So you are a "neutral with slight bass tilt" head (pretty common), meaning you will probably dig planars.post #81 of 1001/4/13 at 5:14ampost #82 of 1001/4/13 at 5:38am
I love music? If it sounds crap I stop listening and listen to something else!
When I bought my headphones I went to a local hi-fi shop and listened until I found the sound I liked with my music. This is clearly why I fail to see the logic behind buying high quality, and usually expensive headphones/speakers/amps/dacs e.t.c, and then trying to alter the sound they make by adding distortion
I guess I'm a purist, but I just love music, and bow to the expertise of the artists and recording engineers.
But of course this is just my opinion and ymmv!
Edit: I was going to say ' Flathead ' but I like my music to sound as it did when it was recorded, which is rarely flat....so I guess I'm ' seeking something else '
Edited by Finguz - 1/4/13 at 5:40ampost #83 of 1001/4/13 at 7:02ampost #84 of 1001/4/13 at 9:05am
Depends on my mood...
Sometimes I long for flatness, sometimes for epic bass...
Sometimes I geek out on EQ tweaking, sometimes it's all about 'stage...
There's a place in my heart for whichever gear I buy
I guess that's why I feel so at home on Head-fi...post #85 of 1001/7/13 at 10:46pm
I think I'm firmly in the Treblehead camp.
I started my journey with IEMs, starting with V-Moda Vibes and Hippo VB's. Didn't know much about sound back then, so I just went for the bassiest sets I could find. Moved onto full sized cans after that, getting my hands on a Sony XB500. Bass was great but I really hated how the rest of the spectrum sounded muffled and terrible. M50's were eye-openers for me, giving me an overall better sound that I was searching for.
I wanted in on more, so I gave a shot at the 300+ market, trying an Ultrasone Pro 900 just over a year ago. At the time, I recall how clear and sharp the sound was, I was hooked instantly. People called the Pro 900's sibilant and bright but I loved every moment of it. Memories of an unburnt Pro 900 still give me the goosebumps, that effect having long gone. Having recently bought a AKG K550, I think I'm solidly liking brighter sound signatures.
I've tried headphones like the HD600 and whilst smooth and relaxing, it just doesn't feel like I'd want to listen to them for many songs. My Dad, also being an audiophile (albeit a speaker one) seems to be convinced HD600's sound superior overall, telling me that as I move up headphones, I'll eventually turn to darker sound.
I guess only time will tell.post #86 of 1001/8/13 at 12:09ampost #87 of 1001/8/13 at 3:19am
i suddenly realize how much my preference towards bass has changed since 2 years ago,
coming from a HD202 i thought the SRH940 had absolutely no bass. but now i find that the SRH940 has enough bass and the HD558 has pretty powerful midbasspost #88 of 1001/28/13 at 4:29ampost #89 of 1002/4/13 at 6:09am
Yes I have different EQ for different genres and also quality of the source file... I have a bit of an OCD problem with tweaking the 32 band EQ on foobar...
Smooth EQ setting for poor quality source files.
Uber bass setting for electronic music.
Flat setting for other genres...
1000th post oh yes.
Edited by nicholars - 2/4/13 at 6:10am
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 23 seconds ago
- › How's the Fidelio/CitiScape range? 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit SYS Passive Preamp 3 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Red Wine Audio Apple 5G, 80GB, iMod + ALO LOD + accessories 4 minutes ago
- › [AUS] Yulong D100 MKII DAC/PreAmp 4 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 9 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob