Midhead and EQ
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 12/10/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
thanks to it's overall sound quality, details are not even a problem with kdx200. you'll get back every detail you lost on cheaper models like Xiaomi Piston, Brainwavz M4-M5. and there's also some...
after M4 & Xiaomi Piston 2, i finally got a M5 to audition. i listened it for 2 days and here's my thoughts: soundstage is the same again. small in every aspect. bass, treble, vocals, mids...
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 6
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
16% (41)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (45)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
8% (22)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (89)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
3% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
14% (36)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
5% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
RE: Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?Treblehead or basshead, none if them! Neutral! But lately i found out when there are strong basses the music bexomes more pleasureable..
Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
So you are a "neutral with slight bass tilt" head (pretty common), meaning you will probably dig planars.
I love music? If it sounds crap I stop listening and listen to something else!
When I bought my headphones I went to a local hi-fi shop and listened until I found the sound I liked with my music. This is clearly why I fail to see the logic behind buying high quality, and usually expensive headphones/speakers/amps/dacs e.t.c, and then trying to alter the sound they make by adding distortion
I guess I'm a purist, but I just love music, and bow to the expertise of the artists and recording engineers.
But of course this is just my opinion and ymmv!
Edit: I was going to say ' Flathead ' but I like my music to sound as it did when it was recorded, which is rarely flat....so I guess I'm ' seeking something else '
Edited by Finguz - 1/4/13 at 5:40am
Depends on my mood...
Sometimes I long for flatness, sometimes for epic bass...
Sometimes I geek out on EQ tweaking, sometimes it's all about 'stage...
There's a place in my heart for whichever gear I buy
I guess that's why I feel so at home on Head-fi...
I think I'm firmly in the Treblehead camp.
I started my journey with IEMs, starting with V-Moda Vibes and Hippo VB's. Didn't know much about sound back then, so I just went for the bassiest sets I could find. Moved onto full sized cans after that, getting my hands on a Sony XB500. Bass was great but I really hated how the rest of the spectrum sounded muffled and terrible. M50's were eye-openers for me, giving me an overall better sound that I was searching for.
I wanted in on more, so I gave a shot at the 300+ market, trying an Ultrasone Pro 900 just over a year ago. At the time, I recall how clear and sharp the sound was, I was hooked instantly. People called the Pro 900's sibilant and bright but I loved every moment of it. Memories of an unburnt Pro 900 still give me the goosebumps, that effect having long gone. Having recently bought a AKG K550, I think I'm solidly liking brighter sound signatures.
I've tried headphones like the HD600 and whilst smooth and relaxing, it just doesn't feel like I'd want to listen to them for many songs. My Dad, also being an audiophile (albeit a speaker one) seems to be convinced HD600's sound superior overall, telling me that as I move up headphones, I'll eventually turn to darker sound.
I guess only time will tell.
i suddenly realize how much my preference towards bass has changed since 2 years ago,
coming from a HD202 i thought the SRH940 had absolutely no bass. but now i find that the SRH940 has enough bass and the HD558 has pretty powerful midbass
Yes I have different EQ for different genres and also quality of the source file... I have a bit of an OCD problem with tweaking the 32 band EQ on foobar...
Smooth EQ setting for poor quality source files.
Uber bass setting for electronic music.
Flat setting for other genres...
1000th post oh yes.
Edited by nicholars - 2/4/13 at 6:10am
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 2 minutes ago
- › Help with Headphone/Audio solution for Classical music 2 minutes ago
- › Getting NSIS error when attempting to install DAC driver 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Synergistic Research HOT device 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › 1964 | Adel A12 - New Flagship Discussion / Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Ath M40x vs M50x Portability. 8 minutes ago
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)