I'm an allhead. But I think flat is best in the long run, then tweak the EQ if bored.
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 8/22/12 at 6:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audiophile Cans for Gaming, Music, and Movies? Last post on 5/1/13 at 6:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
I have a review thread comparing the Sony EX1000, 7550, XBA-4 and XBA-40...
I have made a review thread comparing the Sony MDR-1R with the Sennhesier Momentum, MDR-Z1000, Logitech UE 6000, Audio Technica ATH-M50 and AIAIAI TMA-1...
I have made a review thread comparing the Momentum with the Sony MDR-1R, MDR-Z1000, Logitech UE 6000, Audio Technica ATH-M50 and AIAIAI TMA-1...
This review is reposted from my blog: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html Disclaimer: The HP200 was given to me by SoundMAGIC for this review. This...
Firstly let's get some things squared away: I do not believe in break-in. (Burn-in for those who don't understand terminology.) I do not believe cable materials alter sound. I do not...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 2
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (36)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (40)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
7% (17)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
36% (82)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
4% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
13% (30)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
5% (12)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I used to be a basshead, but as of lately I am liking everything. I'm really starting to pay attention to the upper range because this is usually where issues of reproduction occur.(from what I can gather)
I used to be a basshead, but now flathead is a better description of me. The feeling of being able to hear the almost harsh treble, but still feel some boomy bass with the midrange to connect the two, it's ideal.
I'm a self proclaimed detail junkie and I like an overall neutral and analytical sound. I like my Q701 with a very slight 2db (sometimes 4db with electronic music) bass boost, this to me makes them sound pretty neutral/natural. I also listen to them in the area of 75-80 db on average so the little bass boost helps. On my Vsonic GR01 IEM's I use them flat right out of my iPhone 4. They sound just like the Q701 does with the small bass boost applied, but of course with a much smaller soundstage, and with almost etymotic like isolation.
Edited by jasonb - 12/23/12 at 8:25am
My ideal curve right now (as my preferences may change over time) looks roughly like:
Take the typical more highend headphone curve like Hifiman HE-500 but with a ~8dB bass boost (like adding +5dB to hifiman HE500 as I concider bass through lower-mids also emphasized on that headphone a little to begin with versus treblerange) centered around 80Hz and should be curved to drop off at least by around 200Hz and also roll off down deep to give a more punchy/impactful hit and faster decay.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/12 at 8:51am
Nice thread Chris!
'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!
I voted flathead because I like to hear music "as is" - whatever that means given the mixing, compressing etc that goes on!
I guess this means I value transparency, neutrality and detail as ideals but probably not achievables ;-)
Best of the season to everyone!!
I would have said "flathead" except for the part about not EQ'ing anything. And I didn't pick the EQ choice in the poll because I don't EQ willy-nilly. It's a very precise process I use. That said, neutrality is very important to me, and there's only so much that EQ can realistically accomplish, so it's best to start with headphones that are already quite flat through the lower treble.
Needless to say, I picked the "something else" choice.
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 11:40am
I love the idea of this thread. I guess I'm a flat head because I look for flat EQ cans but I would much rather own cans like the 701 with a slight tremble boost than cans with stronger bass. I absolutely HATE using EQ to change the sound of equipment. It makes me feel like I'm cheating and if I don't like the sound signature of headphones then I shouldn't have bought them.
I'm an airhead.
I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.
I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 2:19pm
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The HeadAmp GS-X Thread 12 seconds ago
- › Pioneer Releases New Headphones: HDJ 1500 20 seconds ago
- › Newb advice - Affordable headphones for classical music.... 1 minute ago
- › Cheap AMP for my headphone 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread 5 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM) by a_recording
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-1R by a_recording
- › Sennheiser Momentum by a_recording
- › Soundmagic HP200 by Quadpatch
- › Pioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphones (Black) by CrystalT
- › JVC HA-FXT90 by JoeDoe
- › Firestone Tobby by project86
- › Sennheiser IE80 by minhquancanon7d
- › Unique Melody Miracle by Loquah
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe