I'm an allhead. But I think flat is best in the long run, then tweak the EQ if bored.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 2
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (41)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (46)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
9% (24)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (90)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
3% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
14% (37)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
4% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I used to be a basshead, but as of lately I am liking everything. I'm really starting to pay attention to the upper range because this is usually where issues of reproduction occur.(from what I can gather)
I used to be a basshead, but now flathead is a better description of me. The feeling of being able to hear the almost harsh treble, but still feel some boomy bass with the midrange to connect the two, it's ideal.
I'm a self proclaimed detail junkie and I like an overall neutral and analytical sound. I like my Q701 with a very slight 2db (sometimes 4db with electronic music) bass boost, this to me makes them sound pretty neutral/natural. I also listen to them in the area of 75-80 db on average so the little bass boost helps. On my Vsonic GR01 IEM's I use them flat right out of my iPhone 4. They sound just like the Q701 does with the small bass boost applied, but of course with a much smaller soundstage, and with almost etymotic like isolation.
Edited by jasonb - 12/23/12 at 8:25am
My ideal curve right now (as my preferences may change over time) looks roughly like:
Take the typical more highend headphone curve like Hifiman HE-500 but with a ~8dB bass boost (like adding +5dB to hifiman HE500 as I concider bass through lower-mids also emphasized on that headphone a little to begin with versus treblerange) centered around 80Hz and should be curved to drop off at least by around 200Hz and also roll off down deep to give a more punchy/impactful hit and faster decay.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/12 at 8:51am
Nice thread Chris!
'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!
I voted flathead because I like to hear music "as is" - whatever that means given the mixing, compressing etc that goes on!
I guess this means I value transparency, neutrality and detail as ideals but probably not achievables ;-)
Best of the season to everyone!!
I would have said "flathead" except for the part about not EQ'ing anything. And I didn't pick the EQ choice in the poll because I don't EQ willy-nilly. It's a very precise process I use. That said, neutrality is very important to me, and there's only so much that EQ can realistically accomplish, so it's best to start with headphones that are already quite flat through the lower treble.
Needless to say, I picked the "something else" choice.
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 11:40am
I love the idea of this thread. I guess I'm a flat head because I look for flat EQ cans but I would much rather own cans like the 701 with a slight tremble boost than cans with stronger bass. I absolutely HATE using EQ to change the sound of equipment. It makes me feel like I'm cheating and if I don't like the sound signature of headphones then I shouldn't have bought them.
I'm an airhead.
I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.
I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 2:19pm
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › IEM burn-in damage 5 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 1 minute ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 2 minutes ago
- › Chesky Records Tournament Finals: Last Chance to get 50% off any... 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for closed back headphones and DAP for music listening and... 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2