I'm an allhead. But I think flat is best in the long run, then tweak the EQ if bored.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 2
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (41)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (48)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
8% (24)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (91)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
4% (13)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
13% (37)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
4% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I used to be a basshead, but as of lately I am liking everything. I'm really starting to pay attention to the upper range because this is usually where issues of reproduction occur.(from what I can gather)
I used to be a basshead, but now flathead is a better description of me. The feeling of being able to hear the almost harsh treble, but still feel some boomy bass with the midrange to connect the two, it's ideal.
I'm a self proclaimed detail junkie and I like an overall neutral and analytical sound. I like my Q701 with a very slight 2db (sometimes 4db with electronic music) bass boost, this to me makes them sound pretty neutral/natural. I also listen to them in the area of 75-80 db on average so the little bass boost helps. On my Vsonic GR01 IEM's I use them flat right out of my iPhone 4. They sound just like the Q701 does with the small bass boost applied, but of course with a much smaller soundstage, and with almost etymotic like isolation.
Edited by jasonb - 12/23/12 at 8:25am
My ideal curve right now (as my preferences may change over time) looks roughly like:
Take the typical more highend headphone curve like Hifiman HE-500 but with a ~8dB bass boost (like adding +5dB to hifiman HE500 as I concider bass through lower-mids also emphasized on that headphone a little to begin with versus treblerange) centered around 80Hz and should be curved to drop off at least by around 200Hz and also roll off down deep to give a more punchy/impactful hit and faster decay.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/12 at 8:51am
Nice thread Chris!
'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!
I voted flathead because I like to hear music "as is" - whatever that means given the mixing, compressing etc that goes on!
I guess this means I value transparency, neutrality and detail as ideals but probably not achievables ;-)
Best of the season to everyone!!
I would have said "flathead" except for the part about not EQ'ing anything. And I didn't pick the EQ choice in the poll because I don't EQ willy-nilly. It's a very precise process I use. That said, neutrality is very important to me, and there's only so much that EQ can realistically accomplish, so it's best to start with headphones that are already quite flat through the lower treble.
Needless to say, I picked the "something else" choice.
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 11:40am
I love the idea of this thread. I guess I'm a flat head because I look for flat EQ cans but I would much rather own cans like the 701 with a slight tremble boost than cans with stronger bass. I absolutely HATE using EQ to change the sound of equipment. It makes me feel like I'm cheating and if I don't like the sound signature of headphones then I shouldn't have bought them.
I'm an airhead.
I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.
I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 2:19pm
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audeze LCD-4 1 minute ago
- › Sonore microRendu Music Streamer impressions 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 4 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 5 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › ☯️ Cavalli Audio presents The Source AV’s Summer Series 2016 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...