I'm an allhead. But I think flat is best in the long run, then tweak the EQ if bored.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 12/27/12
- productSony MDR-CD900STtagged by System, 12/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best Headphones/Amp Combo for Classical Music (especially Opera); Budget: $2000-2500 Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendations for headphones with great clarity and transparency Last post on 4/27/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics Last post on 4/17/12 at 9:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....? - Page 2
Poll Results: Are you a Basshead? Midrangehead? Treblehead? Flathead? Or?
15% (41)I'm a Basshead! Gotta have bass boost from my 'phones or equipment!
17% (45)I'm a Midrangehead! I like some midrange boost from my 'phones or equipment!
9% (24)I'm a Treblehead! I prefer some treble boost!
34% (90)Flathead! Gimme a flat frequency response! I don't use EQ and I look for flat gear!
3% (10)I'm a "Loudness Button" kind of person! I need some bass boost and some treble boost from my stuff!
13% (36)I just tweak the EQ until I get the sound I want!
5% (13)I'm seeking Somethin' else! (Please expand on your choice)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I used to be a basshead, but as of lately I am liking everything. I'm really starting to pay attention to the upper range because this is usually where issues of reproduction occur.(from what I can gather)
I used to be a basshead, but now flathead is a better description of me. The feeling of being able to hear the almost harsh treble, but still feel some boomy bass with the midrange to connect the two, it's ideal.
I'm a self proclaimed detail junkie and I like an overall neutral and analytical sound. I like my Q701 with a very slight 2db (sometimes 4db with electronic music) bass boost, this to me makes them sound pretty neutral/natural. I also listen to them in the area of 75-80 db on average so the little bass boost helps. On my Vsonic GR01 IEM's I use them flat right out of my iPhone 4. They sound just like the Q701 does with the small bass boost applied, but of course with a much smaller soundstage, and with almost etymotic like isolation.
Edited by jasonb - 12/23/12 at 8:25am
My ideal curve right now (as my preferences may change over time) looks roughly like:
Take the typical more highend headphone curve like Hifiman HE-500 but with a ~8dB bass boost (like adding +5dB to hifiman HE500 as I concider bass through lower-mids also emphasized on that headphone a little to begin with versus treblerange) centered around 80Hz and should be curved to drop off at least by around 200Hz and also roll off down deep to give a more punchy/impactful hit and faster decay.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/12 at 8:51am
Nice thread Chris!
'Cept I'm kinda disappointed you didn't have Airhead as one of your options!!
I voted flathead because I like to hear music "as is" - whatever that means given the mixing, compressing etc that goes on!
I guess this means I value transparency, neutrality and detail as ideals but probably not achievables ;-)
Best of the season to everyone!!
I would have said "flathead" except for the part about not EQ'ing anything. And I didn't pick the EQ choice in the poll because I don't EQ willy-nilly. It's a very precise process I use. That said, neutrality is very important to me, and there's only so much that EQ can realistically accomplish, so it's best to start with headphones that are already quite flat through the lower treble.
Needless to say, I picked the "something else" choice.
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 11:40am
I love the idea of this thread. I guess I'm a flat head because I look for flat EQ cans but I would much rather own cans like the 701 with a slight tremble boost than cans with stronger bass. I absolutely HATE using EQ to change the sound of equipment. It makes me feel like I'm cheating and if I don't like the sound signature of headphones then I shouldn't have bought them.
I'm an airhead.
I missed my opportunity to say that in my previous post above, but whatever. I've read that term occasionally used to describe lovers of airy, extended treble, but it doesn't seem to have caught on in a big way. I can't imagine why.
I see somebody got there first. That's what I get for not reading the thread before voting on it (maybe I should go into politics).
Edited by Argyris - 12/23/12 at 2:19pm
- Are you a Basshead? Or a Treblehead? Or a Midrange head? A Flathead? Or....?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B6 ! 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting 7 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 8 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 8 minutes ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 8 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2