Hello, I'm a college student starting off on the path of being an audiophile. That being said, I unfortunately cannot spend ridiculous amounts of money on audio components yet. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which I mainly listen to through my Dell laptop, and I do not have an amplifier for them yet. I can either buy a DAC and an amp separately or buy something with both built in. I was hoping you all could give me good recommendations for a DAC (or DAC/amp combo) below $200 that I can use to compliment my headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Amp and/or DAC Help! Last post on 1/18/13 at 11:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- If you had 500$ budget which headphone/DAC,AMP would you get? Last post on 1/19/13 at 7:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing a DAC for iMac Last post on 3/12/14 at 8:40pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iMac Audio Setup decisions Last post on 3/9/14 at 8:10am in Computer Audio
- Did I break my ATH-M50's already? Last post on 1/22/14 at 6:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
It is really surprising to find this high quality CD performance in analog and digital format. When I connected it to Burson Audio Conductor, all the ignored CD library came back to life. This...
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
I was in the market for a higher end 2.1 system when my search ended up at the Edifier website, I was impressed with the specs and decided to delve further, found a set at a nice price and pulled...
These are, without a doubt, the best In Ear Monitors that I own / have owned. Let me say that I purchased the pink color because it was far less expensive, less than $40. I purchased my pair from...
DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmm...I heard lots of people like Schiit Audio products but not sure about their entry level amp "Magni" and their entry level dac "Modi". The amp and dac cost $99 each. Seems very reasonable especially since they are made in the USA!
I appreciate the replies. I checked out both the Schiit Modi/Magna combo and they seem like they'd be a better buy than the Fiio E10 (and they look pretty sweet too). How would the Fiio E17 stack up compared to the Schiit stuff?
I would still suggest getting the E10, sell off the ATH-M50 and put all the cash towards better headphones (not really against the ATH-M50, but should be able to get better).
I have the Fiio E17, but like another user said I don't think those M50's really need a DAC or an amp, they should be able to run fine with your laptop. That being said I have owned both the Fiio E10 and the E17 and the sound is fairly comparable, but go with the E17 if you want more functionality (EQ, portability, S/PDIF, all that jazz)
The review for the Shiit's amp and dac sounds promising. Here's the link on the latest review by CNET:
- DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 5 minutes ago
- › Portable headphones or IEM for girlfriend 6 minutes ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 11 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 11 minutes ago
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing... 13 minutes ago
- › Sony BDPS500 Bravia Theater Sync Blu-ray Player by Joong
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › Klipsch Image S4i II Black In-Ear Headphones with Microphone by laurentiusjan
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by witygass
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)