Hello, I'm a college student starting off on the path of being an audiophile. That being said, I unfortunately cannot spend ridiculous amounts of money on audio components yet. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which I mainly listen to through my Dell laptop, and I do not have an amplifier for them yet. I can either buy a DAC and an amp separately or buy something with both built in. I was hoping you all could give me good recommendations for a DAC (or DAC/amp combo) below $200 that I can use to compliment my headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Amp and/or DAC Help! Last post on 1/18/13 at 11:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- If you had 500$ budget which headphone/DAC,AMP would you get? Last post on 1/19/13 at 7:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some advice (headphones + amp/dac) Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing a DAC for iMac Last post on 3/12/14 at 8:40pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iMac Audio Setup decisions Last post on 3/9/14 at 8:10am in Computer Audio
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Greetings everyone. I'm perhaps the newest member of the Vali admiration society. I ordered mine directly from Schiit on a Friday and received it on Saturday ( How is that for service?) I'm...
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
I tried the v-moda m100 a few months ago when I purchased it and deciding between them and the hd 650. In the end I kept the 650, these headphones are without a doubt pretty overpriced for the...
DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmm...I heard lots of people like Schiit Audio products but not sure about their entry level amp "Magni" and their entry level dac "Modi". The amp and dac cost $99 each. Seems very reasonable especially since they are made in the USA!
I appreciate the replies. I checked out both the Schiit Modi/Magna combo and they seem like they'd be a better buy than the Fiio E10 (and they look pretty sweet too). How would the Fiio E17 stack up compared to the Schiit stuff?
I would still suggest getting the E10, sell off the ATH-M50 and put all the cash towards better headphones (not really against the ATH-M50, but should be able to get better).
I have the Fiio E17, but like another user said I don't think those M50's really need a DAC or an amp, they should be able to run fine with your laptop. That being said I have owned both the Fiio E10 and the E17 and the sound is fairly comparable, but go with the E17 if you want more functionality (EQ, portability, S/PDIF, all that jazz)
The review for the Shiit's amp and dac sounds promising. Here's the link on the latest review by CNET:
- DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 35 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 57 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendation for Tube Amp 2 minutes ago
- › New to buying higher end headphones and amps - Need help with gain... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Help w/ a home studio listening setup for a production desk 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)