Hello, I'm a college student starting off on the path of being an audiophile. That being said, I unfortunately cannot spend ridiculous amounts of money on audio components yet. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which I mainly listen to through my Dell laptop, and I do not have an amplifier for them yet. I can either buy a DAC and an amp separately or buy something with both built in. I was hoping you all could give me good recommendations for a DAC (or DAC/amp combo) below $200 that I can use to compliment my headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Amp and/or DAC Help! Last post on 1/18/13 at 11:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- If you had 500$ budget which headphone/DAC,AMP would you get? Last post on 1/19/13 at 7:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some advice (headphones + amp/dac) Last post on 3/22/13 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Choosing a DAC for iMac Last post on 3/12/14 at 8:40pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iMac Audio Setup decisions Last post on 3/9/14 at 8:10am in Computer Audio
INTRODUCTION Altone250 U.S. Tour Being an Altone200 fan, I was quite excited to hear that T-PEOS was updating their IEM lineup with a new Altone series based on feedback received from the H300...
Intro (Kind of) The Westone W30 is one of several IEMs in Westone's newly revamped universal IEM collection, intended as a removable-cable replacement to the older W3. For those of you who are...
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmm...I heard lots of people like Schiit Audio products but not sure about their entry level amp "Magni" and their entry level dac "Modi". The amp and dac cost $99 each. Seems very reasonable especially since they are made in the USA!
I appreciate the replies. I checked out both the Schiit Modi/Magna combo and they seem like they'd be a better buy than the Fiio E10 (and they look pretty sweet too). How would the Fiio E17 stack up compared to the Schiit stuff?
I would still suggest getting the E10, sell off the ATH-M50 and put all the cash towards better headphones (not really against the ATH-M50, but should be able to get better).
I have the Fiio E17, but like another user said I don't think those M50's really need a DAC or an amp, they should be able to run fine with your laptop. That being said I have owned both the Fiio E10 and the E17 and the sound is fairly comparable, but go with the E17 if you want more functionality (EQ, portability, S/PDIF, all that jazz)
The review for the Shiit's amp and dac sounds promising. Here's the link on the latest review by CNET:
- DAC for laptop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Bose Q20i 2 minutes ago
- › Dubai Head-Fi Meet 8th May 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 7 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 9 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions 10 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Altone250 by nmatheis
- › Westone W30 Triple Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones,... by C.C.S.
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2