Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC - Page 21

post #301 of 428

Dat Schiit stack. Want! Tempted to upgrade my Fiio e9 to the Magni. I also have an HRT  Music Streamer II but I'm not convinced the Modi would be that much better.

post #302 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

 I dont care how it looks...its how it sounds.....looks are important to some extent...but the sonics are way more important....

 

I did buy a uncased ODAC and installed it in a box that matches the O2 case...and with the rubber feet mates nicely...I will post pix later from home...

 

I also added RCA jacks to it as well so I can use it in my 2 ch setupif desired...

 

Dont hold your breath for the ODA....you can DIY one that has most of what it will/would have had....which I did.

 

All the best

Alex

 

I've recently got a fully-desktop version of O2/ODAC combo from Mayflower Electronics, with RCA outputs and 1/4 headphone out and stuff... It's incredibly flexible and good-looking (see my profile for images), with even better sound since you don't have to use any adaptors. If anybody interested in getting close to what ODA may offer, I gladly recommend that seller. Really good purchase with many options for customising the gain etc.


Edited by RustA - 2/6/13 at 5:50pm
post #303 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

I've recently got a fully-desktop version of O2/ODAC combo from Mayflower Electronics, with RCA outputs and 1/4 headphone out and stuff... It's incredibly flexible and good-looking (see my profile for images), with even better sound since you don't have to use any adaptors. If anybody interested in getting close to what ODA may offer, I gladly recommend that seller. Really good purchase with many options for customising the gain etc.

 

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

 

Thanx.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 2/6/13 at 6:14pm
post #304 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

 

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

 

Thanx.

 

Not sure about ODAC itself since I was always interested in O2/ODAC units and have no experience with JDS labs... However, if you have a look at the Mayflower's website, you can find yourself what the seller offers... I would suggest to even contact him personally since he can provide you with many possible upgrades. I have heard good things about JDS as well so maybe you can contact them as well to get your answer(s).

 

I personally wanted to have a fully-desktop combo with RCA outputs from ODAC, 1/4 headphone out and still have an option to possibly compare different DACs through 1/8 input. Also, I wanted to use different gain settings and he helped me to achieve that as well. I've got several minor upgrades in addition so now I do not need ODA at all, honestly.


Edited by RustA - 2/6/13 at 6:31pm
post #305 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post
 

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???.

 

Yes, JDS' ODAC with RCA jacks comes in the bigger case.

 

The O2 was designed (at least in part) to be a simple, inexpensive project for electronic hobbyists. One of the trade-offs between functionality and price is the lack of room on the O2's circuit board for a 1/4" jack. The O2's designer discusses this on his blog along with instructions for the mods needed for the bigger jack. But, linking to it from this forum is against the rules.

post #306 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

Yes, JDS' ODAC with RCA jacks comes in the bigger case.

 

The O2 was designed (at least in part) to be a simple, inexpensive project for electronic hobbyists. One of the trade-offs between functionality and price is the lack of room on the O2's circuit board for a 1/4" jack. The O2's designer discusses this on his blog along with instructions for the mods needed for the bigger jack. But, linking to it from this forum is against the rules.

 

Thank You very much for Your explanations. So, the O2 design does not 'prohibit' the 1/4" circuitry.

I'm sure that the 1/4" jack does not 'outstretch' the O2 capabilities and does not  affect negatively the sound quality of the O2.

 

P.S.

I'm not a DIY'er nor and an engineer so I don't understand the (highly) technical stuff

pertaining amps, dacs, ...

post #307 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Not sure about ODAC itself since I was always interested in O2/ODAC units and have no experience with JDS labs... However, if you have a look at the Mayflower's website, you can find yourself what the seller offers... I would suggest to even contact him personally since he can provide you with many possible upgrades. I have heard good things about JDS as well so maybe you can contact them as well to get your answer(s).

 

I personally wanted to have a fully-desktop combo with RCA outputs from ODAC, 1/4 headphone out and still have an option to possibly compare different DACs through 1/8 input. Also, I wanted to use different gain settings and he helped me to achieve that as well. I've got several minor upgrades in addition so now I do not need ODA at all, honestly.

Thank You very much. I am going for the trasportable - portable version with the 1/4" jack.

post #308 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post
 

Thank You very much for Your explanations. So, the O2 design does not 'prohibit' the 1/4" circuitry.

I'm sure that the 1/4" jack does not 'outstretch' the O2 capabilities and does not  affect negatively the sound quality of the O2.

 

P.S.

I'm not a DIY'er nor and an engineer so I don't understand the (highly) technical stuff

pertaining amps, dacs, ...

 

It's merely a matter of a lack space on the edge of the standard circuit board where the connectors live. I don't recall any comment from the O2's designer about any other issue -- but I might simply misremember.

post #309 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

 

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

 

Thanx.

 

Check the pictures and you'll see our logo on MayFlower's endplates (we supply Tyler). There's no room in the standard O2 case for 1/4in jacks, so you have to hand wire the jack in a larger case. While we have the capability, 1/4in jacks on the Objective2 are undesirable:

  • Larger case looks awkward with 1/4" jack placed out of alignment from other jacks
  • Higher assembly cost for hand wiring
  • No performance benefit

 

 

We carry a $1.99 adapter instead--performance is identical:

 

 

ODAC variants are pictured and described on their item page:

 

Standard Output - Single 3.5mm output jack, as pictured. Silver or black endplates. 49mm case length for orders after July 27.

RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously.

Reply
post #310 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

Check the pictures and you'll see our logo on MayFlower's endplates (we supply Tyler). There's no room in the standard O2 case for 1/4in jacks, so you have to hand wire the jack in a larger case. While we have the capability, 1/4in jacks on the Objective2 are undesirable:

  • Larger case looks awkward with 1/4" jack placed out of alignment from other jacks
  • Higher assembly cost for hand wiring
  • No performance benefit

 

 

We carry a $1.99 adapter instead--performance is identical:

 

 

ODAC variants are pictured and described on their item page:

 

Standard Output - Single 3.5mm output jack, as pictured. Silver or black endplates. 49mm case length for orders after July 27.

RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously.

 

I've tried this and a lot of other adaptors... To be honest, I prefered Sennheiser's and Epiphany Acoustics' ones sonically over the rest (Sennheiser's being a bit muffled and Epiphany Acoustics' being a bit emphasised in treble but both VERY GOOD). I would very much like to say that all the adaptors sounded the same (in other words, that they do not affect the signal at al). However, this is not the case in my evidence. Unfortunately.

 

I now have two O2/ODAC combo units, one with 1/4 out and another with 1/8 out... I do not regret purchasing the fully-desktop version at all.

 

Also, have a look:

 

1000

 

Do you think it looks bad? I love it! :-)

 

By the way, I would like to thank you for all the great job and supplying you do!


Edited by RustA - 2/9/13 at 2:06pm
post #311 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

I would very much like to say that all the adaptors sounded the same (in other words, that they do not affect the signal at al). However, this is not the case in my evidence. Unfortunately.

I guess you meant 'my experience'.

post #312 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

Check the pictures and you'll see our logo on MayFlower's endplates (we supply Tyler). There's no room in the standard O2 case for 1/4in jacks, so you have to hand wire the jack in a larger case. While we have the capability, 1/4in jacks on the Objective2 are undesirable:

  • Larger case looks awkward with 1/4" jack placed out of alignment from other jacks
  • Higher assembly cost for hand wiring
  • No performance benefit

 

 

We carry a $1.99 adapter instead--performance is identical:

 

 

ODAC variants are pictured and described on their item page:

 

Standard Output - Single 3.5mm output jack, as pictured. Silver or black endplates. 49mm case length for orders after July 27.

RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously.

 

Thank You very much for Your expert explanations. Now, I am almost sure that I'll go with the 1/8" jack and order the O2 and the ODAC from You (JDS Labs).
post #313 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

1000

Madre de Dios....

post #314 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battou62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

1000

Madre de Dios....

 

There's that....then there's Project H:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post

Thought I might share some results of the community project I've been working on for the past half-a-year biggrin.gif

We call it [Project-H] and it's funded entirely by 9 Head-fiers. (See sig for details)

 

*

Panel Design

 

*

Assembled unit front

 

*

Assembled unit back

 

9 assembled units, 2 with custom laser engraving.

^ not available to us mortals unfortunately....

post #315 of 428

Good lord, that thread is already 3700+ pages long. Jelly level = Maximum. I would love to have my O2 combo in an enclosure like that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC