Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC - Page 20

post #286 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post

But that's exactly the problem. Usable volume control range should be from 10 to 2 o'clock, not from 7:30 to 10.

Although it's a smaller range than normal, I'm just saying the magni's pot doesn't render it useless with sensitive headphones. I feel like I have a full range of volume at my disposal. The knob is decently weighty for such a little thing, so I don't sit there trying to get the volume just right either. 

 

Would I like to have a pot that goes from 10 to 2? Sure! But I don't think most people will have a problem. And if I turn the volume down 10% on the computer, I get up to about 11 or 12 without any noticeable quality deficit.

 

More importantly, I like the the way it sounds, for both quiet and loud listening.

post #287 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post

But that's exactly the problem. Usable volume control range should be from 10 to 2 o'clock, not from 7:30 to 10.

With how I equalize my HE-400s the Magni gives me a nice 10-2 control. Perfect!

post #288 of 440
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post

But that's exactly the problem. Usable volume control range should be from 10 to 2 o'clock, not from 7:30 to 10.

 

Is there any problem with the Magni not being like that?  I've had plenty of play and fine adjustment on my Magni, even when it's usually around 9 o'clock.  On the most dynamic of my songs, it can get up to 11 or so.

 

Honestly I've run into 0 issues with volume control on the Magni so far.

post #289 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

With how I equalize my HE-400s the Magni gives me a nice 10-2 control. Perfect!

I'd be really interested in that eq curve, ugh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Is there any problem with the Magni not being like that?

Nope, no problem with the Magni.

post #290 of 440
Thread Starter 

It'd have to be something like a 6db reduction across nearly the entire spectrum to allow for a sub-bass boost or along those lines.

post #291 of 440
The Modi does look a lot better than the ODAC in my opinion. Does anyone else have any comparisons of the two sonically?
post #292 of 440

Looks are one thing....performance is another....

 

That said, I honestly do not think that they would be that much different.

 

Alex

 

NOTE: For all those that are really concerned about how different DACS might "sound" take a look at this thread on this site....cant wait for the results in late Feb:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648501/blind-test-6-dacs-compared


Edited by adydula - 1/31/13 at 5:37am
post #293 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

Looks are one thing....performance is another....

That said, I honestly do not think that they would be that much different.

Alex

NOTE: For all those that are really concerned about how different DACS might "sound" take a look at this thread on this site....cant wait for the results in late Feb:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648501/blind-test-6-dacs-compared

I just read the whole thread; thanks for the link. Very interesting topic. Can't wait until Feb 28 too.
post #294 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

So the guys is gone....That makes it much better.....

 

What no measurements??

 

Whats wrong with facts versus opinions,,, rather have opinions based on facts...

 

The O2 spectacular performance is built around good engineering, design, implementation and getting the most out of the lowest dollar components to prove a point.

 

It has caused many other amp vendors/OEM to step up to the plate with measurements that in the past have'nt been that well published etc...

 

Its a good thing! IMO.

 

Alex

 

.. and that's why I am about to order the O2 and ODAC as two separates for the modularity's sake.

 

Alex, thanks for Your professional opinions and comments. The headphones world needs more of them.

 

JJ

post #295 of 440

JJ.....the truth is what counts....god knows there is so much BS out there....its hard to smell straight !!

 

LOL

 

All the best

Alex

post #296 of 440

Dat Schiit stack. Want! Tempted to upgrade my Fiio e9 to the Magni. I also have an HRT  Music Streamer II but I'm not convinced the Modi would be that much better.

post #297 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

 I dont care how it looks...its how it sounds.....looks are important to some extent...but the sonics are way more important....

 

I did buy a uncased ODAC and installed it in a box that matches the O2 case...and with the rubber feet mates nicely...I will post pix later from home...

 

I also added RCA jacks to it as well so I can use it in my 2 ch setupif desired...

 

Dont hold your breath for the ODA....you can DIY one that has most of what it will/would have had....which I did.

 

All the best

Alex

 

I've recently got a fully-desktop version of O2/ODAC combo from Mayflower Electronics, with RCA outputs and 1/4 headphone out and stuff... It's incredibly flexible and good-looking (see my profile for images), with even better sound since you don't have to use any adaptors. If anybody interested in getting close to what ODA may offer, I gladly recommend that seller. Really good purchase with many options for customising the gain etc.


Edited by RustA - 2/6/13 at 5:50pm
post #298 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

I've recently got a fully-desktop version of O2/ODAC combo from Mayflower Electronics, with RCA outputs and 1/4 headphone out and stuff... It's incredibly flexible and good-looking (see my profile for images), with even better sound since you don't have to use any adaptors. If anybody interested in getting close to what ODA may offer, I gladly recommend that seller. Really good purchase with many options for customising the gain etc.

 

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

 

Thanx.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 2/6/13 at 6:14pm
post #299 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

 

Very interesting post. So there are at least three well-known manufacuturers selling the O2/ODAC or O2 & ODAC combos.

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???

 

Thanx.

 

Not sure about ODAC itself since I was always interested in O2/ODAC units and have no experience with JDS labs... However, if you have a look at the Mayflower's website, you can find yourself what the seller offers... I would suggest to even contact him personally since he can provide you with many possible upgrades. I have heard good things about JDS as well so maybe you can contact them as well to get your answer(s).

 

I personally wanted to have a fully-desktop combo with RCA outputs from ODAC, 1/4 headphone out and still have an option to possibly compare different DACs through 1/8 input. Also, I wanted to use different gain settings and he helped me to achieve that as well. I've got several minor upgrades in addition so now I do not need ODA at all, honestly.


Edited by RustA - 2/6/13 at 6:31pm
post #300 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post
 

What interests me is the 1/4" headphone out for my DT 880 (250 Ohm) cans.

 

By the way, what is difference between the longer version vs. regular (shorter) version of ODAC from JDS Labs? - Does the longer version have the RCA outputs?

 

I wonder why JDS Labs does not offer the 1/4" headphone jacks on the O2 amp???.

 

Yes, JDS' ODAC with RCA jacks comes in the bigger case.

 

The O2 was designed (at least in part) to be a simple, inexpensive project for electronic hobbyists. One of the trade-offs between functionality and price is the lack of room on the O2's circuit board for a 1/4" jack. The O2's designer discusses this on his blog along with instructions for the mods needed for the bigger jack. But, linking to it from this forum is against the rules.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC