- 210 Posts. Joined 2/2002
- Location: Niagara Region, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Studio monitor upgrade for bedroom music listening < $800 Last post on 11/6/12 at 10:17pm in Computer Audio
- Could this little device be the answer to Wi-Fi streaming of hi-res audio? Last post on 3/5/14 at 12:51am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Love my LCD 2's but thinking of "upgrading" to LCD-X or LCD-3--need a little help... Last post on 2/23/14 at 6:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? Last post on Today at 1:14 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- are there any affordable amps that have good macro-dynamic focus? Last post on 2/7/14 at 6:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions? - Page 5post #61 of 698/7/13 at 5:20pmWell after following this thread and hearing your many impressions I'm SOLD . I was thinking of getting the Focal Solo6 but for the same price I'll get the stealth and a DAC. Can't wait to pair them with my Totem Storm.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 698/15/13 at 8:49pm
Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey wtf, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....post #63 of 698/16/13 at 1:53pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by TooPoor
Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey wtf, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....
I am sorry to hear of your shipping problems. I have now bought three pairs of emotiva powered speakers and had experienced no such issues. The handler must have dropped it off a three story building or something because the stealth eights are double boxed which you can attest from unpacking them . Did you contact emotiva about the shipping damage because emotiva has very good customer service in my experience. Even though I did not have any reliability issues with any of the speakers the emotiva people answered all my questions anytime I made any type of inquiry about any of the speakers that I bought. I did have a few questions before I decided to purchase any of them and the questions were answered fairly and pretty quickly.
The stealth eights in my experience are more revealing than the airmotiv 6s and as such I believe take more time to break in than the sixes.
While the sixes are very good the eights are more resolved and I believe more revealing of the electronics that you hook them up to.
They are probably more neutral than the sixes and given the healthy boost in onboard amplification they are probably more revealing as well. I have found them to be able to play somewhat louder than the sixes . In fact they can play loud and stay very clean.
I hope you get your problem resolved soon. Be patient about the break in process as much as you can because the eights as I had stated before in my earlier impressions was not an easy listen at first.post #64 of 698/16/13 at 8:12pmEmotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?post #65 of 698/16/13 at 11:48pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by TooPoor
Emotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?
I have a pair of airmotiv 5s for my desktop setup and they work quite admirably. I am using a peachtree decco 2 for my desk top set up and it works fine as both dac and preamp paired with the airmotiv 5s.But I have also tweaked the decco 2 with a hifi tuning supreme fuse which improved the sound noticeably along with a cable pro reflection power cable. But the headphone amp in the decco 2 has somewhat limited drive for my preferred akg 701 phone. Of course I do not use headphones usually on my desk top. I usually use the airmotiv 5s on my desk top.
Edited by buson160man - 8/16/13 at 11:51pmpost #66 of 692/14/14 at 3:12pmThread Starter
Well I have put some time on the stealth 8s now. I must say they are sounding pretty good these days. They seemed to have opened up a bit more and they are becoming more resolved. The bass is getting more detailed and I keep hearing details that I was unaware of before on a lot of cds that I have been playing lately. There is also a sense of soundstage that is becoming ever present. I also am noticing that the stability of the soundstage does not waver or change. I am actually beginning to appreciate the qualities of the stealth 8 monitors.
I also think the midrange is becoming more resolved as well. I am thinking that the speakers take a fair amount of play time before you can actually hear what their considerable abilities are.
There is also a sense of openness that is also becoming more apparent these days. Before I was unsure that the difference between the airmotiv 6s and the stealth 8 was worth the cost difference. But I can now put that notion to rest because the stealth 8s are really beginning to sing in ways that the airmotiv 6 can not match. They are simply a more resolving loudspeaker than the airmotiv models.
I am still thinking that the break in process still may have some time to go before they are fully settled in at least I hope they will get better still
with more play time.
I believe the stealth 8s are a bargain for their very reasonable cost. I think this speaker would cost a lot more if it was marketed in a retail store.
probably at least twice as much.
Edited by buson160man - 2/14/14 at 3:13pmpost #67 of 692/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #68 of 692/17/14 at 5:02amThe AMT does a great job of with the 8" woofer. I can say from personal experience that everything that burson is saying is true. It took months for my stealthy to open up. But now the sound that I'm getting from them is spectacular.
And if for some reason you are really afraid of the 8" just get the stealth 6 ...post #69 of 692/27/14 at 6:29pmThread Starter
You may not need the storm. I am amazed at the amount of body that the stealth 8s produce. I have to say that these speakers take a fair amount of play time before they show their considerable abilities. I do have to add that I have replaced the stock fuses in the speakers with hifi tuning supreme equivalents. I am also using some aftermarket power cables with them as well. I am using the Teflon jacketed cable pro reverie power cables.
I have very much become smitten with the stealth 8s. They are by far the most resolute speaker I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few including a pair of smaller harbeths and a stand mount proac. Neither come close to the stealth 8 in ability.Return Home
- emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review 27 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 38 seconds ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 49 seconds ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 53 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Hello, Help Budget IEM Recommendation 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC sign up on Black... 3 minutes ago
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude