- 210 Posts. Joined 2/2002
- Location: Niagara Region, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Studio monitor upgrade for bedroom music listening < $800 Last post on 11/6/12 at 10:17pm in Computer Audio
- Could this little device be the answer to Wi-Fi streaming of hi-res audio? Last post on 3/5/14 at 12:51am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Love my LCD 2's but thinking of "upgrading" to LCD-X or LCD-3--need a little help... Last post on Today at 7:29 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? Last post on Today at 2:41 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- are there any affordable amps that have good macro-dynamic focus? Last post on 2/7/14 at 6:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions? - Page 5post #61 of 698/7/13 at 5:20pmWell after following this thread and hearing your many impressions I'm SOLD . I was thinking of getting the Focal Solo6 but for the same price I'll get the stealth and a DAC. Can't wait to pair them with my Totem Storm.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 698/15/13 at 8:49pm
Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey wtf, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....post #63 of 698/16/13 at 1:53pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by TooPoor
Long story short: Bought a pair. Started unboxing... One speaker had obvious shipment 'issues' with a dent next to the 8" woofer. The worst in me said, 'hey wtf, lets see if it works.' It didnt. But ******* if the other one didn't sound AMAZING. I filed a claim with FedEx and returned the other non-damaged speaker. I miss hearing just the one and will attempt to purchase these again sometime soon. The bass is phenomenal. Oh well....
I am sorry to hear of your shipping problems. I have now bought three pairs of emotiva powered speakers and had experienced no such issues. The handler must have dropped it off a three story building or something because the stealth eights are double boxed which you can attest from unpacking them . Did you contact emotiva about the shipping damage because emotiva has very good customer service in my experience. Even though I did not have any reliability issues with any of the speakers the emotiva people answered all my questions anytime I made any type of inquiry about any of the speakers that I bought. I did have a few questions before I decided to purchase any of them and the questions were answered fairly and pretty quickly.
The stealth eights in my experience are more revealing than the airmotiv 6s and as such I believe take more time to break in than the sixes.
While the sixes are very good the eights are more resolved and I believe more revealing of the electronics that you hook them up to.
They are probably more neutral than the sixes and given the healthy boost in onboard amplification they are probably more revealing as well. I have found them to be able to play somewhat louder than the sixes . In fact they can play loud and stay very clean.
I hope you get your problem resolved soon. Be patient about the break in process as much as you can because the eights as I had stated before in my earlier impressions was not an easy listen at first.post #64 of 698/16/13 at 8:12pmEmotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?post #65 of 698/16/13 at 11:48pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by TooPoor
Emotiva is aware of the situation. They do indeed come double boxed and I have zero idea how FedEx accomplished such a feat. I even tried playing he speaker and it sounded so bad... The working speaker overpowered it by avast margin. Looking at the air motive 5s for a work setup. Too much?
I have a pair of airmotiv 5s for my desktop setup and they work quite admirably. I am using a peachtree decco 2 for my desk top set up and it works fine as both dac and preamp paired with the airmotiv 5s.But I have also tweaked the decco 2 with a hifi tuning supreme fuse which improved the sound noticeably along with a cable pro reflection power cable. But the headphone amp in the decco 2 has somewhat limited drive for my preferred akg 701 phone. Of course I do not use headphones usually on my desk top. I usually use the airmotiv 5s on my desk top.
Edited by buson160man - 8/16/13 at 11:51pmpost #66 of 692/14/14 at 3:12pmThread Starter
Well I have put some time on the stealth 8s now. I must say they are sounding pretty good these days. They seemed to have opened up a bit more and they are becoming more resolved. The bass is getting more detailed and I keep hearing details that I was unaware of before on a lot of cds that I have been playing lately. There is also a sense of soundstage that is becoming ever present. I also am noticing that the stability of the soundstage does not waver or change. I am actually beginning to appreciate the qualities of the stealth 8 monitors.
I also think the midrange is becoming more resolved as well. I am thinking that the speakers take a fair amount of play time before you can actually hear what their considerable abilities are.
There is also a sense of openness that is also becoming more apparent these days. Before I was unsure that the difference between the airmotiv 6s and the stealth 8 was worth the cost difference. But I can now put that notion to rest because the stealth 8s are really beginning to sing in ways that the airmotiv 6 can not match. They are simply a more resolving loudspeaker than the airmotiv models.
I am still thinking that the break in process still may have some time to go before they are fully settled in at least I hope they will get better still
with more play time.
I believe the stealth 8s are a bargain for their very reasonable cost. I think this speaker would cost a lot more if it was marketed in a retail store.
probably at least twice as much.
Edited by buson160man - 2/14/14 at 3:13pmpost #67 of 692/16/14 at 1:00pmpost #68 of 692/17/14 at 5:02amThe AMT does a great job of with the 8" woofer. I can say from personal experience that everything that burson is saying is true. It took months for my stealthy to open up. But now the sound that I'm getting from them is spectacular.
And if for some reason you are really afraid of the 8" just get the stealth 6 ...post #69 of 692/27/14 at 6:29pmThread Starter
You may not need the storm. I am amazed at the amount of body that the stealth 8s produce. I have to say that these speakers take a fair amount of play time before they show their considerable abilities. I do have to add that I have replaced the stock fuses in the speakers with hifi tuning supreme equivalents. I am also using some aftermarket power cables with them as well. I am using the Teflon jacketed cable pro reverie power cables.
I have very much become smitten with the stealth 8s. They are by far the most resolute speaker I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few including a pair of smaller harbeths and a stand mount proac. Neither come close to the stealth 8 in ability.Return Home
- emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Band Name Game II 48 seconds ago
- › Kitchen Units London 1 minute ago
- › Digital Multimeter Extech? 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Gaming headset 2 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Audeze LCD-2 rev.2 Bamboo [Canada] $800CAD 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Amperior Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude