Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions? - Page 2

post #16 of 81

I have not listened to the emotiva 8's but you can see from ADAM's homepage that they are certainly no part timers, almost industry standard for smaller studio's.  I provided the link so you could do your research, in Europe they are highly recommended from local suppliers as a budget entry to studio performance.  They are certainly MUCH better than KRK RP8's and have had won several awards for the A8X and A7X monitors over the last few years.  From my perspective emotiva have "cloned" the ADAM design not he other way round, the F series is the entry level "home studio" systems that were launched early last year iirc, the Aseries have been around a while.  If you got money and want to go for serious equipment you will be totally blown away by the S2X.  You also have options regarding subs' from a lowly 7" up to monsters 200w 12" monsters.

 

I dont like to advise people to buy blind when spending their own money, I was just trying to offer an alternative to investigate.  There are distributers/suppliers worldwide and in EU you can source some though Amazon if you would rather that sort of supplier.  I always recommend listening first as active monitors are more for nearfield listening rather than room filling sound. 

 

Regarding volume, I personally don't push my speakers to anywhere near full volume as I am listening within a couple of feet of the cones and I value my ears.

post #17 of 81

Impressions on the STEALTH 8's from here

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110643.0

 

"This is one of the best in show because they just sounded so wonderful and probably among the best 5 bookshelf sized speakers I have heard at this show ever. That's saying a lot as this show is saturated with bookshelves."

 

"They could have cost $10,000 for all I knew.  That should answer those questions of "Was it good for the $$, or just great, period?"  They were just great, period.  The fact that they are so inexpensive (which I found out later) is just gravy."

 

More impressions

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110562.msg1141666#msg1141666

 

"Bach great violin going on here. I love how organic it sounds. No overshoot at all... Wow room treatment who knew!!!! Mahler has deftness. Very natural sounding dynamic shading. Sweet spot hogs abound in this room nobody is relinquishing even when it's our music. Guitar on Ani sounds so effortless and smooth. Greatness here for sure. I can't find any fault thus far in this setup. Yorke has a HUGE sound very very impressive. Vocals are buttery smooth this is absolutely the best bookshelf type speaker I have heard in this show in years. Big thumbs up here. 



Tyson Notes[/u]
Mahler - Damn, it sounds like the basses are even bigger!  The quiet parts just disappear softly into the noise floor beautifully.  Scale?  Yeah, they did that pretty well too.
Bach - What, it's so good I almost forgot to start typing this.  Catches the emotion of the piece like nobodies business.  Smooth but also with the needed bite.
Ani DiFranco - Hey, nice - her voice is not overly sibilant, but isn't too soft either.  Guitar is slightly metalic, but at least it's not boomy!  Really good focus clarity.
Thom Yorke - Wow, amazing that this track sounds great in most rooms that otherwise suck.  But this time it sounds pretty poor in the current room, which is otherwise excellent.  Crazy!
General Room Notes - Yay, another room that understands the importance of room treatments.  Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and the notes just pop and drop with tons of speed.  And a super tiny itty bitty DC-1 driving these very cool Emotiva speakers.  IMO, when it is well implemented, there is nothing better than a ribbon tweeter.  It's well implemented here.  Only problem was the stupid people behind me asking if stereo can bet made to have surround sound, right in my ear. "

 

Impressions compared to airmotiv 6's

 

"the low end definitely goes lower and is more present without loosing accuracy. Kicks had that punch in the stomach feel you typically only get on systems with a good sub."

 

More impressions

 

"sounded better than any previous Emotiva gear I've listened to."

 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/relative-value-components-audio-chain-14384/index2.html

"Emotiva Stealth 8 powered studio monitors, hooked up to the fully balanced, true differential Emotiva ProDAC (as demo'd @ RMAF 2012) is what I'd be waiting for. The sound these studio monitors produce is comparable to what you'd expect to get for $10K, and no, I'm not exaggerating."

 

"I heard these at EmoFest 2012 and they were literally kick-ass."

 

"We hears these at Emofest this year. In a word.. amazing! Fed from the ProDAC, the sound was full, clear and one was left wondering where the sub was hidden! If I didn't have the Airmotiv6s, I would get these in a heartbeat. For most rooms, these have enough power."

 

"Everyone who visited the room where they were being demonstrated was impressed."

 

"I was sitting about ten feet away from the Stealth 8 speakers and they were very convincing. In a small room they would challenge the sound quality of most tower speakers at double the price."

 

"They were so good, I had to repeatedly find an 'excuse' to listen to them over and over again. 

The sound was so much like a live performance in a small venue. The cymbals and drums in the music sounded so real.
Needless to say, I was very impressed!"

 

seems like a winner, plus, DAT BASS EXTENSION 30 Hz to 23 kHz + / -1.75 dB, is unheard at that price.


Edited by zachchen1996 - 1/14/13 at 6:00pm
post #18 of 81

I knew they'd be fantastic. The 6s were just great and something that only makes it better? Sign me up.

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I knew they'd be fantastic. The 6s were just great and something that only makes it better? Sign me up.

you going to get em? btw how are the 6s with edm?

post #20 of 81

I listened to EDM almost exclusively with the 6s and didn't really have any complaints. A little more physical kick to the sound would've been nice and on maybe 2 songs the extension wasn't quite good enough...but that's about it. They were really great speakers. 

 

I gotta say I was considering the 8s...but I just dropped an absurd amount of money on my Harbeths. I won't need other speakers for a long time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

you going to get em? btw how are the 6s with edm?

post #21 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I listened to EDM almost exclusively with the 6s and didn't really have any complaints. A little more physical kick to the sound would've been nice and on maybe 2 songs the extension wasn't quite good enough...but that's about it. They were really great speakers. 

 

I gotta say I was considering the 8s...but I just dropped an absurd amount of money on my Harbeths. I won't need other speakers for a long time.

 

 I bet your leben harbeth combination are really sweet.I used to own a pair of harbeth pe 3esl2s and they were nice for small scale music but I moved on from them because they just did not work well as a video speaker it just would not play load enough for me in that capacity.They were very inefficient took a lot to drive them and they would only play so loud and then they would start compressing.I went back to my older b&w 600 s2 because it could play a lot louder and were much easier to drive.I have since moved on to a emotiva airmotiv 5 which has been working as a dual purpose speaker in a computer desktop setting and part time video monitor speaker in my living room.I just purchased a 6 at the holiday sale price yesterday.I am waiting for delivery.I intend to use them in my living room for music listening and as a video sound speaker for my flat screen tv.They should work a lot better with the larger driver and a additional 110 watts driving power.


Edited by buson160man - 1/15/13 at 5:57am
post #22 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post

I will say again look into Adam active monitors, similar price, similar design and a brand that is more likely to to give you ongoing support should you require it.... Adams also have XLR or RCA connection and are much easier to source in any global location.  You may pay a slight premium of $20 more but you can pick up a selection of matching subs that are designed to work with these, also available in 5" 7" or 8".

 

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products

 You are joking about the support because I have found emotivas customer service to be nothing less than stellar.I have called emotiva several times and got nothing less than complete satisfaction with their support.

post #23 of 81

Why are you taking such a fanboi stance over these emotiva speakers?  I am just trying to point out that there are equally good alternatives from other brands.  Having a closed opinion about something and shouting others down is not doing anything other than making you look s little blinded.  Try researching outside this forum and you will find plenty of support for other brands such as K&H Adam Dynaudio KRK Genelec Sonodyne to name but a few and on those sites you will find little to no mention of emotiva's.  There is a reason, and I am just trying to highlight it.  I am sure Emotiva's offer a fine product but I am trying to suggest that nobody should buy blind, or deaf in this case.  Everyone's needs are different and from my researching, which I have done extensively, your money can be spent on other similar products without losing anything.  From the reviews I have found and read emotiva's offer a "flavoured" or "coloured"sound not suitable for music production, where a flat frequency response is required.  I am sure the emotiva's sound just fine for listening or gaming or watching movies but that is not everyones intended use.  The comments made here make these "entry level" nearfield monitors out to be the best thing money can buy and that is simply not the case.

 

Never spend money without doing your research, that is my message.  Listening for 10mins is better than reading 10 articles.  I am not trying to troll this thread just offer insight to those that may be reading and are looking to buy in the future.  

 

And to point out the floor in your argument I have had adam A7X for about 18months, prior to that Yamaha monitors and in both cases have not needed after sales support once.  But in both cases I know it was available locally through an authorised dealer.


Edited by Tablix - 1/20/13 at 5:02am
post #24 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post

Why are you taking such a fanboi stance over these emotiva speakers?  I am just trying to point out that there are equally good alternatives from other brands.  Having a closed opinion about something and shouting others down is not doing anything other than making you look s little blinded.  Try researching outside this forum and you will find plenty of support for other brands such as K&H Adam Dynaudio KRK Genelec Sonodyne to name but a few and on those sites you will find little to no mention of emotiva's.  There is a reason, and I am just trying to highlight it.  I am sure Emotiva's offer a fine product but I am trying to suggest that nobody should buy blind, or deaf in this case.  Everyone's needs are different and from my researching, which I have done extensively, your money can be spent on other similar products without losing anything.  From the reviews I have found and read emotiva's offer a "flavoured" or "coloured"sound not suitable for music production, where a flat frequency response is required.  I am sure the emotiva's sound just fine for listening or gaming or watching movies but that is not everyones intended use.  The comments made here make these "entry level" nearfield monitors out to be the best thing money can buy and that is simply not the case.

 

Never spend money without doing your research, that is my message.  Listening for 10mins is better than reading 10 articles.  I am not trying to troll this thread just offer insight to those that may be reading and are looking to buy in the future.  

 

And to point out the floor in your argument I have had adam A7X for about 18months, prior to that Yamaha monitors and in both cases have not needed after sales support once.  But in both cases I know it was available locally through an authorised dealer.

 You missed my point about the customer service which I believed was suggested by the quoted highlite that the support for the product was less than stellar.I did not recommend the speaker over other brands.So I was not shouting down other brands was I?As far as buying blindly do the other brands offer a 30 day free trial period? The emotiva product is a mail order only product .So you really are not buying blindly or deaf in a sense and there are a lot of positive comments about the emotivas on this site as well as good reviews elsewhere.


Edited by buson160man - 1/20/13 at 6:04am
post #25 of 81
I can attest to the quality of emotiva's customer support, very friendly, were willing to help replace a speaker that was defective, etc. definitely one of the best I ever had to deal with.
post #26 of 81

It should be noted that the A8Xs mentioned above retail for $2,000 a pair, while the Emotivas run a full $500 less.

post #27 of 81

Noteworthy, indeed.

post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-WL87 View Post

It should be noted that the A8Xs mentioned above retail for $2,000 a pair, while the Emotivas run a full $500 less.

And the stealth 8's have superior bass extension, going a whole 8 hz lower.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post


And the stealth 8's have superior bass extension, going a whole 8 hz lower.

 

Equally noteworthy!  I'll take all the hurtz I can get!

post #30 of 81

The Emotivas definitely look like excellent value and their customer service is fantastic. Regarding a previous post: They ARE Chinese OEM (I forget the original brand) but I've had a look inside my Airmotiv 4s and the quality is very good. They also respond very noticeably to the quality of what is feeding them.  That being said, I've relegated them to the livingroom and have ADAM ARTist 3s on my desk now. I'm thinking I should have gotten one of the front-ported models instead though as I had to partially block the ports on both sets of speakers when they were on my desk to stop it becoming a gigantic subwoofer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › emotivas new stealth 8 powered monitors any impressions?