Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I have narrowed down my next pair of cans to the following 3

HiFiMan HE-400

HiFiMan HE-500

V-MODA M-100

Denon AH-D600

 

Being a noob to the headphone scene (I have a dedicated theater/listening room) I need some help.

I currently have the Audio Technica ATHM50, I just got them from Amazon on sale at $104.41. I am also waiting on my

FiiO E17 to arrive. I listen to (in order) Hip Hop, Alternative, Techno, Rock, and Classical. I'm not a bass head, although I was the kid in high school with a camero with two MTX 15" Terminators in the back seat:) 20 years ago. I love strong tight bass but not to the point where it bleeds over into the mids. I will probably use the ATHM50's around the house with the E17 but the cans in looking at will stay in the theater room with possibly the E17 and a FiiO E9K. The sorce is an Oppo Blu Ray SACD DVD-Audio player. Most listening will be with SACD's and DVD-A's.

What do you recommend. I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks


Edited by ghostchili - 12/24/12 at 5:33pm
post #2 of 16

Either the HE400 or the D600 will be great. They're both good all-rounders, from experience I can only speak for the D600, have not heard the HE400 yet, but they seem to be a good bang for the price. The D600's treble may be lacking and sound stage a bit small for classical, but those are about the only nitpicks I can find. I don't listen to classical though. If you can get the D600 for less than 400 bucks then go for it, otherwise go with the HE400.

 

The M-100 seems like a mixed bag. There was a lot of hype for them but some of the reviews have not showed them favorably. I have not tried the M-100, seems like another bass monster consumer headphone, but if it is anything like the M-80 it will fail miserably for rock, metal, or anything that needs treble extension. 

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thanks LinkPro, I guess the M100's went from 1st a few days ago to 3rd. Am I missing any other good choices based on my genre?

Does anyone have or have had both the D600 or the HE400/HE500? Since I'm keeping the ATHM50's is the HE400/HE500 the way to go with then having one open one closed? Is the E17 enough or would I benefit from the E17 E9K combo.

Thanks


Edited by ghostchili - 12/24/12 at 5:34pm
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Still cant decide..Denon or HiFiMan? Please help...must spend money!

post #5 of 16

If you already have the M50, I'd get the Hifiman.  M50 is such a great little headphone.  I miss it the more and more each time I listen to it at my brother's.

post #6 of 16

Keep the M50s as your closed cans, and get HE400s if you ultimately care about maximum sound quality per dollar spent, and don't mind leakage (since you'd have the M50s still for certain situations).

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Jerg, now the HE500s have entered my radar..Any thoughts??
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

Jerg, now the HE500s have entered my radar..Any thoughts??

HE500 is more well-rounded and smoother than the vast majority of headphones. It has tiptop midrange, and exceptional performance in every other regard. The only reasons why you might still consider HE400s are 1) they are lighter, and 2) their bass has a tad more kick so they are more fun-sounding. HE500s are much more refined and transparent,on the other hand.

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

HE500 is more well-rounded and smoother than the vast majority of headphones. It has tiptop midrange, and exceptional performance in every other regard. The only reasons why you might still consider HE400s are 1) they are lighter, and 2) their bass has a tad more kick so they are more fun-sounding. HE500s are much more refined and transparent,on the other hand.

This is the review that made me consider the HE500's. They never said it but almost made it sound as if the 500's had better bass.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/08/review-hifiman-he-400-and-he-500-headphones?page=0,1

 

The bass of the HE-400 sounds tight and well-defined. “I like it, but it could go deeper,” Geoff noted. Bass freaks won’t hate this headphone, but they won’t like it either.

I guess im a basshead from the teen years but an audiophile in my 30's as I have tons of classical SACD's and DVD-A's in my collection.

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

HE500 is more well-rounded and smoother than the vast majority of headphones. It has tiptop midrange, and exceptional performance in every other regard. The only reasons why you might still consider HE400s are 1) they are lighter, and 2) their bass has a tad more kick so they are more fun-sounding. HE500s are much more refined and transparent,on the other hand.

Jerg, What amp do you use with your HE-500's, is the E17 and a FiiO E9K decent enough?

Thanks

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

This is the review that made me consider the HE500's. They never said it but almost made it sound as if the 500's had better bass.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/08/review-hifiman-he-400-and-he-500-headphones?page=0,1

 

The bass of the HE-400 sounds tight and well-defined. “I like it, but it could go deeper,” Geoff noted. Bass freaks won’t hate this headphone, but they won’t like it either.

I guess im a basshead from the teen years but an audiophile in my 30's as I have tons of classical SACD's and DVD-A's in my collection.

HE500s definitely extend more in bass than HE400s, but both extend very well as open headphones. I'd say HE400s are strong down to about 23Hz, while HE500s have a good rumble even at 18 Hz. The difference is not huge. On the other hand, HE400s' bass does sound a bit more articulate and tight than HE500s.

 

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

Jerg, What amp do you use with your HE-500's, is the E17 and a FiiO E9K decent enough?

Thanks

 

HE500s will be driven to good volume out of your setup, it wouldn't be optimal though. With more upgrades upstream  you'll get better dynamics, imaging/soundstage, and more articulate bass. I'm currently in a bind right now with regards to spending so I'm stuck with E17 driving my HE500s for the moment, they still sound like HE500s (smooth, extremely transparent, very pleasing comforting sound signature with great technicalities), just not like HE500s with its biceps flexed.


Edited by jerg - 12/24/12 at 5:51pm
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks Jerg. I'm a headphone noob and just started this new hobby last week:-). Given a choice then Jerg would you go with the 400 or 500..based on my genre?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

Thanks Jerg. I'm a headphone noob and just started this new hobby last week:-). Given a choice then Jerg would you go with the 400 or 500..based on my genre?

HE400s definitely, based on the majority of your genres.

 

Also, check out DavidMahler's HE400 review that he posted today, he was able to describe its sound more clearly than anything else I've seen:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

post #14 of 16

D600 - no

He-400 - Yes

He-500 - Yes if you can afford it

 

The hifimans are a lot better than the D600, if you can get the older Denon AHDxxx series or maybe some Fostex TH600 then they would be good as well.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

I have narrowed down my next pair of cans to the following 3
HiFiMan HE-400
HiFiMan HE-500
V-MODA M-100
Denon AH-D600

Being a noob to the headphone scene (I have a dedicated theater/listening room) I need some help.
I currently have the Audio Technica ATHM50, I just got them from Amazon on sale at $104.41. I am also waiting on my
FiiO E17 to arrive. I listen to (in order) Hip Hop, Alternative, Techno, Rock, and Classical. I'm not a bass head, although I was the kid in high school with a camero with two MTX 15" Terminators in the back seat:) 20 years ago. I love strong tight bass but not to the point where it bleeds over into the mids. I will probably use the ATHM50's around the house with the E17 but the cans in looking at will stay in the theater room with possibly the E17 and a FiiO E9K. The sorce is an Oppo Blu Ray SACD DVD-Audio player. Most listening will be with SACD's and DVD-A's.
What do you recommend. I am open to other suggestions as well.
Thanks
he500 is the most balanced phone of the ones u mention..no question about it..it plays everything well..(i have an original classical track from the movie:the good the bad and the ugly...it sounds so wonderfull!!) no need to eq anything like u have to do with the he400.. Just be sure u get a strong amp..like a lyr or emotiva (small speakeramp) if ur on a strict budget..or go a bit higher and get urself a 337/339
If u wanna use the fiio i have a feeling it wouldnt provide with the juice the he500 needs..in that case a he400 would be ur best bet..and then check the he400 thread for equaliser instructions..as i understand that does wonders to the he400..

By the way.. There are rumors that soon there will be at least 12x second-hand he500's going on sale before end of this year on headfi, because the owners jumped on a very special headphone wagon..called the code-x. wink.gif
So u could grab a excellent he500 for a good price and so have enough budget for a better/stronger amp for it? wink.gif

Another tip someone else also mentioned..get urself good source...such as lossless tracks...flac/wav files..my experience with better equipment u hear a very big difference compared to mp3, even 320kbs..especially if u love classical stuff with lots of dynamic in it....u will hear MORE..more details...especially the quieter ones in the back or on the extreme sides... With mp3 the sound is narrower..more 2d.. In my experience ofcourse...but if u get a good phone..u also need to have good source..or else it wont make sense to get a good phone..imho ofcourse..
Good luck with ur search;)
Edited by hifimanrookie - 10/29/13 at 8:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with?