I'd definitely go for the he400...
Related Forum Threads
- HE-400 + Lyr vs LCD-2 Rev. 2? Last post on 6/30/14 at 7:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- STAX SRS 2170 VS. HiFiMan HE-400 with Magni/Modi Amp and DAC *Opinions needed* Last post on 11/20/14 at 3:43pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE400+Magni/modi combo Last post on 9/21/14 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit we'd like to see Last post on 5/15/15 at 5:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on 9/18/14 at 6:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/770243/soundmagic-e50-e50s-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A middy...
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First off, thanks for all of your input guys.
secondly, from what im reading here. the general consensus is to get a cheap DAC then go for sweet cans later.
the only problem i have with this is that i was lookin to throw $300-400 into my headphone setup then chill for awhile and save up for a some PC upgrades later (RAM, blue ray drive, HD8870 when i comes out). then after a good long while spend some more money on my headphone rig.
I dont want to get a lower end DAC and a nice pair of cans and only want to upgrade the DAC later also
so as of now im leaning hard towards getting the bifrost, plus it will look sweet to stack my schiit asgard on top of the bifrost
I am using the Asgaard with HD598s and I love the combination. The Asgaard provides the low end punch the Senns need. My source is a high-end Denon universal player with SACDs and DVD-As or CDs. My question is this: the DAC in the Denon is rated pretty well - would I notice much difference if I inserted a Bifrost in the signal path? Other's experiences with Denons would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Short answer: go for the DAC first. You already have a very decent pair of headphone, plus the HE-400 aren't for everybody and you should try them first (peculiar sound and very heavy compared to DT880). Right now, you bottleneck is your source (one heck of a bottleneck) and if you are like me, you will have to listen to all your library again once you get the Bifrost. By the time your done, you will have the $$$ to get a new pair of headphone if you feel like so.
I would also recommend going DAC first before going anywhere else. Bifrost looks nice together with Asgard or Lyr :) I have Bifrost + Lyr stack but I'm actually using a Onkyo SE-300 sound card as toslink output to bifrost so the change of quality from the soundcard's DAC to the Bifrost DAC was actually quite minimal but enough to hear the difference (Using a high end sound card + external DAC is an overkill lol)
- Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 7 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 16 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Momentum II, DT 770, Sony, Oppo 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › Looking for headphones 300-450$ 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern, what's the best/great IEM to use? 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 3 minutes ago
- › Best Studio Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) 5 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2