I'd definitely go for the he400...
Related Forum Threads
- HE-400 + Lyr vs LCD-2 Rev. 2? Last post on 6/30/14 at 7:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit we'd like to see Last post on 7/16/14 at 6:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on Today at 4:57 am in Dedicated Source Components
- In search of a good DAC for my monitors Last post on 2/9/14 at 11:22am in Dedicated Source Components
- Modi/Vali vs Aune T1 + amperex 7308 Gold Pin upgrade for HE-400 Last post on 12/19/13 at 4:36pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First off, thanks for all of your input guys.
secondly, from what im reading here. the general consensus is to get a cheap DAC then go for sweet cans later.
the only problem i have with this is that i was lookin to throw $300-400 into my headphone setup then chill for awhile and save up for a some PC upgrades later (RAM, blue ray drive, HD8870 when i comes out). then after a good long while spend some more money on my headphone rig.
I dont want to get a lower end DAC and a nice pair of cans and only want to upgrade the DAC later also
so as of now im leaning hard towards getting the bifrost, plus it will look sweet to stack my schiit asgard on top of the bifrost
I am using the Asgaard with HD598s and I love the combination. The Asgaard provides the low end punch the Senns need. My source is a high-end Denon universal player with SACDs and DVD-As or CDs. My question is this: the DAC in the Denon is rated pretty well - would I notice much difference if I inserted a Bifrost in the signal path? Other's experiences with Denons would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Short answer: go for the DAC first. You already have a very decent pair of headphone, plus the HE-400 aren't for everybody and you should try them first (peculiar sound and very heavy compared to DT880). Right now, you bottleneck is your source (one heck of a bottleneck) and if you are like me, you will have to listen to all your library again once you get the Bifrost. By the time your done, you will have the $$$ to get a new pair of headphone if you feel like so.
I would also recommend going DAC first before going anywhere else. Bifrost looks nice together with Asgard or Lyr :) I have Bifrost + Lyr stack but I'm actually using a Onkyo SE-300 sound card as toslink output to bifrost so the change of quality from the soundcard's DAC to the Bifrost DAC was actually quite minimal but enough to hear the difference (Using a high end sound card + external DAC is an overkill lol)
- Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread (Preliminary Impressions) 25 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Does Dolby Headphone virtualize 7.1 or 5.1 ? 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Spirit Classic (Straight Trade for FS Professional) 3 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Some explanation about Toslink/Spidf? 3 minutes ago
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)