I'd definitely go for the he400...
Related Forum Threads
- HE-400 + Lyr vs LCD-2 Rev. 2? Last post on 6/30/14 at 7:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit we'd like to see Last post on Yesterday at 6:19 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on Yesterday at 6:24 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- In search of a good DAC for my monitors Last post on 2/9/14 at 11:22am in Dedicated Source Components
- Modi/Vali vs Aune T1 + amperex 7308 Gold Pin upgrade for HE-400 Last post on 12/19/13 at 4:36pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First off, thanks for all of your input guys.
secondly, from what im reading here. the general consensus is to get a cheap DAC then go for sweet cans later.
the only problem i have with this is that i was lookin to throw $300-400 into my headphone setup then chill for awhile and save up for a some PC upgrades later (RAM, blue ray drive, HD8870 when i comes out). then after a good long while spend some more money on my headphone rig.
I dont want to get a lower end DAC and a nice pair of cans and only want to upgrade the DAC later also
so as of now im leaning hard towards getting the bifrost, plus it will look sweet to stack my schiit asgard on top of the bifrost
I am using the Asgaard with HD598s and I love the combination. The Asgaard provides the low end punch the Senns need. My source is a high-end Denon universal player with SACDs and DVD-As or CDs. My question is this: the DAC in the Denon is rated pretty well - would I notice much difference if I inserted a Bifrost in the signal path? Other's experiences with Denons would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Short answer: go for the DAC first. You already have a very decent pair of headphone, plus the HE-400 aren't for everybody and you should try them first (peculiar sound and very heavy compared to DT880). Right now, you bottleneck is your source (one heck of a bottleneck) and if you are like me, you will have to listen to all your library again once you get the Bifrost. By the time your done, you will have the $$$ to get a new pair of headphone if you feel like so.
I would also recommend going DAC first before going anywhere else. Bifrost looks nice together with Asgard or Lyr :) I have Bifrost + Lyr stack but I'm actually using a Onkyo SE-300 sound card as toslink output to bifrost so the change of quality from the soundcard's DAC to the Bifrost DAC was actually quite minimal but enough to hear the difference (Using a high end sound card + external DAC is an overkill lol)
- Time to upgrade: HE-400 vs Schiit Bifrost
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 3 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FXT90 Appreciation Thread [User-Info/Buying Guide/Reviews on... 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › Westone ADV Alpha Adventure Series Earphones w/ NEW Westone... 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)