or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD598 (Soundstage Question)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD598 (Soundstage Question) - Page 2

post #16 of 28
I get this on my HD 485s; vocals are about 20% to the left sometimes, and sometimes bass goes either to the left or the right – depending on the song. It's the main reason I am currently looking to upgrade…
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranunky View Post

I get this on my HD 485s; vocals are about 20% to the left sometimes, and sometimes bass goes either to the left or the right – depending on the song. It's the main reason I am currently looking to upgrade…

 

It's just....why? This has just left such a sour taste in my mouth with Sennheiser. As I said before, my only 'high-end' headphones before these were Audio-Technica M50s. To have paid $250(!!!) for a set of heapdhones that looks cheap as ****, but also comes with a driver defect? That's insanity! I'l' be doing my best to return these, and probably won't be looking back to Sennheiser, at least not for a long time. Is there any can that comes near the sort of HD598 sound, without that absurd price tag?  

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by axc1080 View Post

Is there any can that comes near the sort of HD598 sound, without that absurd price tag?  

Difference in opinion on the word "absurd" pricing tongue.gif, but I haven't heard anything I enjoy more in the ~$250 price range.

 

Your problem is highly abnormal, was the pair purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer? Return it and get a new pair and see if the problem still exists. If so, it could potentially be your recordings, or even your ears. 

 

Best of luck.

post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

Difference in opinion on the word "absurd" pricing tongue.gif, but I haven't heard anything I enjoy more in the ~$250 price range.

 

Your problem is highly abnormal, was the pair purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer? Return it and get a new pair and see if the problem still exists. If so, it could potentially be your recordings, or even your ears. 

 

Best of luck.

 

Yea it was an authorized Sennheiser kiosk. I emailed while still a bit flustered by the whole scenario, and they replied pretty quickly and helped me out through the situation. The HD598s sound so great, and their reputation so immense, that flat-out returning them doesn't sound as great as it used to. I used other sources to check and be sure, and it certainly is the cans themselves. What a shame. 

 

And it's funny, now that you should mention the ears. After really noticing the problem on the Sennheisers, I also started feeling a similar way with my M50s, as if they had the same issue, though nowhere near the extent of the 598s (pretty irritating). Maybe the problem is just my ears, but the headphones share that problem which over-emphasizes it? The FiiO E07k with that channel balance sounds really good right about now. 

post #20 of 28

It's very simple. If you are hearing a bias to one side of the headphones that runs through anymore than one album, then something is definitely wrong.  The only other explanation is that you have hearing problems, which would present itself on any other headphone you chose to use. I really can't believe how much debating is going on here - if your cans are weighted to one side, they are faulty, end of story.  By the way, I have the HD598 and have never expreienced such anomalies


Edited by amigomatt - 12/21/12 at 4:08pm
post #21 of 28

Same issue, just bought a new pair of HD 598 and searched to see if anyone had the same problem since I'm new to the audiophile world. Was listening to Hans Zimmer's score in Pirates of the Caribbean, its like the balance is 55% to the left and 45% to the right. Some songs in new age genre give more weight to the left driver. But the soundstage is wide and spatial.

post #22 of 28
Guys, loving my HD598s to bits but recently acquired a DT880 Premium and thought I had the same issue. But not with the new HD239 or T50p and my new old stock HD25-1

Question: do you hear the highs more to the left? Which frequency range is toted to one side?
post #23 of 28
You sure it's not your ears? just checkin..
post #24 of 28
Hi,

Actually I am pretty sure it IS my ears. I think my left ear picks up more of the high frequencies than my right ear. But it must be a very small band of frequencies as with some headphones I cannot hear the imbalance. I also realized that its more pronounced if I have a flu or so, in one case it was actually even reversed (and yes, I checked, I had the phones on correctly wink.gif ) anyhow it's a small imbalance and I am wondering if a little bit of it might be caused by the way albums are mixed. Hence when I heard that the left channel is preferred by some producers that was good news in my ears.

I think I will see an audiologist next at some stage, though every hearing test that is publicly available attests me absolutely no problems.

Many thanks,
K
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Hi,

Actually I am pretty sure it IS my ears. I think my left ear picks up more of the high frequencies than my right ear. But it must be a very small band of frequencies as with some headphones I cannot hear the imbalance. I also realized that its more pronounced if I have a flu or so, in one case it was actually even reversed (and yes, I checked, I had the phones on correctly wink.gif ) anyhow it's a small imbalance and I am wondering if a little bit of it might be caused by the way albums are mixed. Hence when I heard that the left channel is preferred by some producers that was good news in my ears.

I think I will see an audiologist next at some stage, though every hearing test that is publicly available attests me absolutely no problems.

Many thanks,
K

Well, I hope you get out sorted out, but rather a headphone problem than an ear problem for sure.

Have you tried just reversing the cans on your head to eliminate whichever?
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Hi,

Actually I am pretty sure it IS my ears. I think my left ear picks up more of the high frequencies than my right ear. But it must be a very small band of frequencies as with some headphones I cannot hear the imbalance. I also realized that its more pronounced if I have a flu or so, in one case it was actually even reversed (and yes, I checked, I had the phones on correctly wink.gif ) anyhow it's a small imbalance and I am wondering if a little bit of it might be caused by the way albums are mixed. Hence when I heard that the left channel is preferred by some producers that was good news in my ears.

I think I will see an audiologist next at some stage, though every hearing test that is publicly available attests me absolutely no problems.

Many thanks,
K

 

 

Recently I found out that all the problems I have been experiencing with balance was because of ear wax buildup in disproportionate amount in my ears. 
 
Got rid of the wax and ohh, boy have I missed this much my entire life searching and craving for superior audio. Everything is so loud and clear with soul stirring highs! and perfect balance on left and right.

Edited by noblemff - 2/22/14 at 12:59pm
post #27 of 28

I bought the HD 598 and faced the same issue

gave it for replacement instantly.

my new pair will arrive in 2 weeks. 

but i'm kinda scared that it's going to have the same issue .

anyone found a solution yet?

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoriac View Post

I bought the HD 598 and faced the same issue
gave it for replacement instantly.
my new pair will arrive in 2 weeks. 
but i'm kinda scared that it's going to have the same issue .
anyone found a solution yet?

I could confirm it was actually the sensitivity of my ears being slightly different and he placement of the headphones, seal etc due to slightly different ear shapes etc. my HD598s were just fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD598 (Soundstage Question)