Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which has the better soundstage, AKG K702/Q701 or DT990?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which has the better soundstage, AKG K702/Q701 or DT990?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

I'm considering buying either of these headphones and was wondering which one has the better soundstage. I'm also curious to know which one is more comfortable. Based on what I've read, I'm tending to think that the DT990 is more comfortable but I could be wrong. Also, could the K702/Q701 or the DT990 250 ohm be adequately driven by a portable amplifier? I have the Meier-Audio Corda Headsix.

Thanks.


Edited by floeezy - 12/18/12 at 4:34pm
post #2 of 26

I've had both very recently and was able to A/B them several times.

The K702 has a wider soundstage for sure. Maybe to the point it's unnatural.

In my experience, the DT990 is more comfortable. The bumps on the K702 got bothersome after an hour or so.


Edited by viralcow - 12/18/12 at 4:48pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by floeezy View Post

I'm considering buying either of these headphones and was wondering which one has the better soundstage. I'm also curious to know which one is more comfortable. Based on what I've read, I'm tending to think that the DT990 is more comfortable but I could be wrong. Also, could the K702/Q701 or the DT990 250 ohm be adequately driven by a portable amplifier? I have the Meier-Audio Corda Headsix.

Thanks.

 

Heya,

 

Look into the Sony MA900.

 

Very best,

post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

I've had both very recently and was able to A/B them several times.

The K702 has a wider soundstage for sure. Maybe to the point it's unnatural.

In my experience, the DT990 is more comfortable. The bumps on the K702 got bothersome after an hour or so.

 

K thanks for the input. Is the K702s soundstage so wide that it makes the music seem too distant? Also, does your head get used to those bumps after a while or are they always a bother?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Heya,

 

Look into the Sony MA900.

 

Very best,

 

At just under $200, those are mighty interesting. I suppose you mention them because they have a great soundstage and are comfortable? Are they easy to drive?


Edited by floeezy - 12/18/12 at 6:04pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by floeezy View Post

 

K thanks for the input. Is the K702s soundstage so wide that it makes the music seem too distant? Also, does your head get used to those bumps after a while or are they always a bother.

 

 

I've owned the K701 for a year and I never got used to it. But other than the bumps they are quite comfy, actually. All you have to do is move the headband slightly forward/backward on your head whenever it starts to get uncomfortable.

 

As for soundstage it can be distant, depends on what you're listening to. Other headphones (that I've owned) have a more cohesive, centered soundstage whereas the K701 seems to be stretched out. I actually like it that way since it greatly increases instrument separation and detail, but compared to others like the DT990, and SRH1440/1840, it might also seem less realistic.


Edited by viralcow - 12/18/12 at 6:01pm
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

 

I've owned the K701 for a year and I never got used to it. But other than the bumps they are quite comfy, actually. All you have to do is move the headband slightly forward/backward on your head whenever it starts to get uncomfortable.

 

As for soundstage it can be distant, depends on what you're listening to. Other headphones (that I've owned) have a more cohesive, centered soundstage whereas the K701 seems to be stretched out. I actually like it that way since it greatly increases instrument separation and detail, but compared to others like the DT990, and SRH1440/1840, it might also seem less realistic.

 

What do you use to drive your K701?
 

post #7 of 26

Objective 2. Probably wasn't the best match but oh well.

post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 

Do you think a portable amplifier would do the K702/1 justice? I'm not going to use the K702/Q701 (If I buy them) on the go but I would like to know if what I already have (Corda Headsix) would be enough to drive them.
 


Edited by floeezy - 12/18/12 at 6:49pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by floeezy View Post

Do you think a portable amplifier would do the K702/1 justice? I'm not going to use the K702/Q701 (If I buy them) on the go but I would like to know if what I already have (Corda Headsix) would be enough to drive them.
 

 

Never been satisfied with Portable amps and AKG K7xx headphones. They need more oomph. 

post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio-fi View Post

 

Never been satisfied with Portable amps and AKG K7xx headphones. They need more oomph. 

 

Thanks for the heads-up. What would you suggest is a headphone with a great soundstage under $300 that can be easily driven?

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by floeezy View Post

 

Thanks for the heads-up. What would you suggest is a headphone with a great soundstage under $300 that can be easily driven?

 

Probably the HD598. Not on the same level of the AKG (amped properly) but they have good soundstage and can be easily driven. 

 

Headphones on the ATH line comes to mind as well. 


Edited by fabio-fi - 12/18/12 at 7:52pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio-fi View Post

 

Never been satisfied with Portable amps and AKG K7xx headphones. They need more oomph. 

+1

 

they need quite a bit more power to sound good. 

 

i never found them more uncomfortable than dt 990s. the k's definitely have a wider soundstage than the beyers.

post #13 of 26

i own(ed) k701, Hd598 and Dt990. They Beyer sounded most congested out of these. Soundstage on K701 has great width and soso depth. Soundstage on Hd598 has great depth and soso width. The Sennheiser have a very strong forward projection, comparable to listening to speakers. K701 on the other side fill the whole room with sound.

post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio-fi View Post

 

Probably the HD598. Not on the same level of the AKG (amped properly) but they have good soundstage and can be easily driven. 

 

Headphones on the ATH line comes to mind as well. 

Would buying a dedicated desktop amp for the K701/2 be worth the price difference between HD598 and the K702/1 with amp? If so, what amp would you suggest under $150 that would go well with the K702/1?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

i own(ed) k701, Hd598 and Dt990. They Beyer sounded most congested out of these. Soundstage on K701 has great width and soso depth. Soundstage on Hd598 has great depth and soso width. The Sennheiser have a very strong forward projection, comparable to listening to speakers. K701 on the other side fill the whole room with sound.

 

So seeing that the 598 and K701 both have good but differing soundstage, and overall different sound, what would you recommend is better for electronic (house, electro, trance, etc), ambient, and rock music?

post #15 of 26

finally i decided to keep the akgs. but remember both are somewhat bass light. so if you need your big bass, maybe both are not for you. otherwise bass on the akg reaches deeper than on the senns.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which has the better soundstage, AKG K702/Q701 or DT990?