Ok I apologize for anyone who told me not to get these but I actually have beef with them for different reasons than what some have said. I love the Grados SR80i but my wife doesn't lol. She thinks that they will wake up our little one being that I mainly use them in the room next to his. To me they work great for video games and TV shows but I like them a little loud and they do cause quite a bit of ambient noise to people around me. I don't think it would wake him up but to appease the wife I will return them as I just bought them on Amazon.
Second. I also picked up a pair of ATHM50s for listening while in bed and for work. What I found was the sound to be awesome, maybe because I'm relatively new to Hifi Audio or not I'm not sure. But I have a big gripe with them. Earlier i said how much I enjoy them but when I work i have these on for hours at a time and man do they hurt. After an hour or so my ears sweat and there is a lot of clamping pressure on my head. I also thought getting a straight cable would be great cause then i can hook it to the TV and sit on the couch or in bed. Well it turns out the cable is still too short for this so I would need an extension cable anyway. And at work the cable is a little too cumbersome. One thing I didnt expect is how much I do enjoy the bass of these headphones though. I listen to all kinds of music and mostly acoustic stuff and soundtracks, however I do enjoy when bass heavy music comes on and I can really feel it.
So basically at this point I'm ready to return both sets and possibly get something better? I cant be the only one who has to go through this to get the ones they like?? I really do wish i could have tried these before ordering them but no place in town has these except bose and beats.
1. Has to be closed with little sound leakage to please the wife :)
2. Has to be comfortable for long wear as I use them for work
3. Detachable cable would be nice but not required, maybe a coiled cable then?
4. Punchy bass would be a plus
5. Price range no more than 250. - I have 250 to spend, I want the best i can get not necessarily best bang for the buck, 250 is allocated to the headphones.
6. I really prefer not to have to use an amp. I know from reading this site that most benefit more from an amp but I dont want to not be able to enjoy the headphones without one either.
One set I have been looking at that meets almost all of these are the AKG K550? Any thoughts? Someone recommended the AKG 271 MKII in the past but I read a lot that there isn't much bass to them, after listening to the M50s I think I may need something with about as much bass.
I'm not looking for the most accurate reproduction of sound as I am not in a studio making music or anything. What I am looking for is the most comfortable headphone that is fun to listen to for around $250.