Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Next step up from ODAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next step up from ODAC? - Page 2

post #16 of 41
Thread Starter 
How about the Cambridge dacmagic plus I've got a buddy who wants only 350 for one open box brand new
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmalito View Post


Hmm what xactly is a vaunix hub and what does it do?

Its a USB hub with a separate power supply for USB devices, so it sends 'clean'-ish power from the mains as opposed as from the computer (which has a lot of electromagnetic interference and the like), thereby pushing it to its maximum potential. Its well-documented the ODAC is darn finicky with power from USB ports, and a powered USB hub would really do the trick in getting it to perform optimally. Of course, the designer would disagree, but it basically removes the limiting factor from the ODAC's performance. Vaunix is just a company that manufactures hubs.

 

At least, that's what I am getting from a simple Google search, so look it up yourself. Perhaps Currawong can come in to elaborate?

post #18 of 41

Vaunix make USB-powered signal generators and made a USB hub for them with a better power supply inside than you normally get. I've found it works well with audio gear that uses USB power.

post #19 of 41

Check out the iFi iUSB ($199) if you are looking for something to clean up the USB power supply.  It doesn't offer multiple ports, but it has been getting rave reviews (check out the thread over at computeraudiophile).

Review from AudioStream

Witchdoctor Review

post #20 of 41
Thread Starter 
Cool but right now I'm not sure if I need at -- everything I'm using has external power supplies. Just got my Grado r1s in today and they sound Greatnwith the dacmagic plus.
post #21 of 41

That's great, no sense spending money you don't have to.   I'm ordering a new DAC and after I get used to it, I'll probably get an iUSB.  If it doesn't make a difference, though w/ my system it should, I'll just return it.
 

post #22 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdin View Post

That's great, no sense spending money you don't have to.   I'm ordering a new DAC and after I get used to it, I'll probably get an iUSB.  If it doesn't make a difference, though w/ my system it should, I'll just return it.

Ya I found the sweet spot with my new old grado rs1 and dacmagic
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmalito View Post


Hmm what xactly is a vaunix hub and what does it do?


Clean USB power, and lots of it.  But the iFi Micro USB power supply does the same thing with much better aesthetics.  Check out the Concero thread here, and there's a long iFi thread at Computer Audiophile.

 

I recently did a comparison of four affordable DACs.  It's also in the Concero thread.  You might find it helpful.

 

Finally, ignore Hamilcar, or buy him a box of Q-Tips for Christmas.  Only you know whether you will hear a difference between 88.2/96 and 176.4/196, and whether the difference is worth the extra $7 or so per album.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Check out the recent post at Audiostream where Lavorgna did a pretty rigorous comparison test.

post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
Finally, ignore Hamilcar, or buy him a box of Q-Tips for Christmas.  Only you know whether you will hear a difference between 88.2/96 and 176.4/196, and whether the difference is worth the extra $7 or so per album.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Check out the recent post at Audiostream where Lavorgna did a pretty rigorous comparison test.

 

Your money is better spent on pixie dust for your "extra $7 or so per album." The difference is worth nothing. You can't hear it. No human can hear it.You're just feeding the fraudsters.

post #25 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

Your money is better spent on pixie dust for your "extra $7 or so per album." The difference is worth nothing. You can't hear it. No human can hear it.You're just feeding the fraudsters.

I thought it was based on a per-person basis You may not be able to hear the frequency per se but I'm sure on a deeper level stuff gets thru. I have marley legend and rem hits on 192and they are def better

Also 192 vinyl rips are hard to distinguish from real vinyl
Edited by dpmalito - 12/23/12 at 12:24pm
post #26 of 41

Not taking sides, but here is an interesting article re: 24/192

24/192 Music Downloads...and why they make no sense

 

and here's the related thread over at Hydrogen Audio.  Whether you agree with the article or not, it's interesting reading.

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Check out the recent post at Audiostream where Lavorgna did a pretty rigorous comparison test.

Could you provide a link? I'm interested.

 

@sawdin: I read that article before. The only thing I don't understand is how oversampling works. Otherwise, I have to agree with everything it says. The idea that higher sampling rates can actually reduce fidelity would explain why people hear a difference.

post #28 of 41

spaark,

 

He might be referring to this: 

PCM v DSD Comparison: 16/44.1, 24/96, 24/192, 64x DSD, 128x DSD

post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaark View Post

Could you provide a link? I'm interested.

 

@sawdin: I read that article before. The only thing I don't understand is how oversampling works. Otherwise, I have to agree with everything it says. The idea that higher sampling rates can actually reduce fidelity would explain why people hear a difference.

 

The fact that NOS sounds so good is primarily down to using the lowest possible sampling rate, IME.

post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Vaunix make USB-powered signal generators and made a USB hub for them with a better power supply inside than you normally get. I've found it works well with audio gear that uses USB power.

 

Well, how do Vaunix and other similar products relate to the so called (Mini) Travel Surge Protectos with USB Ports?

To what extent those mini/travel surge protectors filter the noise of AC power?

Typically noise filtering is up to 44dB or something like this. How good is this?  How useful is this feature?

 

My Toshiba Satellite laptop uses 19V & 3.42A AC power.

 

From http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BST300-3-Outlet-Travel-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

 

 

 

Quote:

Belkin BST300 3-Outlet Mini Travel Surge Protector with USB Port - 2.1 AMP

 

Product Features

  • 900 Joule energy rating provides superior power protection for all your sensitive mobile devices
  • Wall-mountable for extra outlets without extra cords
  • 360-degree rotating plug with 4 locking positions for a compact, lightweight design
  • 2 powered USB Ports (1 AMP each)
  • Damage-Resistant Housing protects circuits from fire, impact or rust, and prevents dents and scratches

 

 

Product Description

 

Surge Protection Wherever You Go Add outlets and peace of mind on business trips and vacations with the Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Surge Protector. Plug it into any wall outlet for extra outlets without extra cords. The 360-degree swivel feature makes it easy to fit in small spaces. Two powered USB Ports offer convenient one-source charging for your mobile devices. Safeguard Your Devices Voltage fluctuations, surges and spikes can damage your computer and peripherals and degrade overall performance. Belkin's Wall Mount Surge Protector safeguards your personal computer, printer, hard drives, modems and other hard-to-replace equipment against damage, data loss, file corruption and system crashes. Powered USB ports are intended solely for charging devices. They cannot be used as a USB hub and they do not transmit data.

 

So,  those travel/mini surge protectors  can be used with USB-powered headphone amps. How about USB-powered dacs?

 

P.S.

This is a very interesting thread.

 


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 3/5/13 at 10:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Next step up from ODAC?