I'm looking for some headphones under $120 to listen to a lot of hip hop and some indie rock. I would like something with large amounts of bass but not to the point of overpowering the song. I will listen with my Iphone at my home and sometimes out and a bout so I don't want a 10 foot long cord or overly bulky design. I was about to buy the Audio Technica m50's but my only worry is that they don't have enough bass based on some reviews. Thoughts and suggestions?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 BK BLACK | DJ Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 12/24/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for headphones under $150USD for home use! Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another Headphone Thread around $150 Last post on 12/24/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Introduction The Fidue A65 is in quite of an interesting place. It's in the budget range that has a lot of great contenders, but in it's defence it brings a Titanium micro dynamic driver, and with...
This review is for the iclever IC-BTH01 Bluetooth Stereo Headset INTRODUCTION Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in...
Introduction: Cayin is a Chinese company that has recently made quite a splash in the portable audio world with some of their very nice and budget friendly portable gear. The C5 amplifier has...
Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Apparently, they have started producing them with a shorter cord and extension, just like the Ultrasone HFI-780. So you'd have to verify that you are getting the newer edition 580s from wherever you buy.
Thing about the Grados is that they are AWESOME for rock, but they will not have a lot of bass for hiphop. The HFI-580s are sort of the opposite. Definitely not as good for rock as the Grados, but excellent for hiphop, EDM, and other bass heavy genres. Better than the M50s in that regard. You will definitely notice the bass. Many people recommend them as a good alternative to Beat Studios.
If you can swing a little more money, the HFI-780s have a little more balanced sound than the HFI-580s (a little less bass impact) that will make them more suitable for a wider range of genres. If you go with the SR80i, then also order the Grado L-Cush pads (about $20 on Amazon) that come with the higher model Grado SR phones and switch them out for the default pads on the SR80i. It will increase the bass impact and the high/midrange detail, although still not the bass of the Ultrasones.
Edited by cel4145 - 12/17/12 at 10:15pm
noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! dont get ANY grados for hip hop, especially if you plan on walking around with them, first of all grados are bass light, 2nd they're open, so you wont get any isolation with them and street noise is going to seep into your music, and 3rd they're uncomfortable
for under 120 i'd look into the sony xb series, possibly the ath pro500mk2's if they sound anything like the pro700's (might want to research a bit first), the monoprice 8323's if you actually listen to the lyrics and want some bass along with that, koss portapros if you dont care about them being over ear (these have a great sound for hip hop even if they're semi open, great bass too)
i've never heard the m50's but i think from alot of the reviews i've read on here and how they compare against the pro700's they'd probably be good
I owned the M50's for several years and can say that i enjoyed the bass very much. good punch and sub bass but until i got an E7, i didnt notice the true bass potential and this may be true of many of the other headphones. the pro700 are said to have a darker sound and more bass. I cant say from experience but i know the Grado's are open back and thats not a good feature for being out in public if you really want to hear the music.
Ive read alot of reviews and user comments about ultrasone and they seem to be a very good basshead recommendation by many. i would either recommend both Audio Technica headphones or the ultrasones as the best choices
- Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › "The Lab" 10 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 31 seconds ago
- › NOBLE Savant Appreciation Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 45 seconds ago
- › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 49 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 52 seconds ago
- › Definitive technology (DefTech) symphony 1 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Any Hi-Fi store in metro-Detroit ??????? 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by snapacap
- › AKG Y50 Black On-Ear Headphone with In-Line One-Button Universal... by acain
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by Chaoturbo
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)