I'm looking for some headphones under $120 to listen to a lot of hip hop and some indie rock. I would like something with large amounts of bass but not to the point of overpowering the song. I will listen with my Iphone at my home and sometimes out and a bout so I don't want a 10 foot long cord or overly bulky design. I was about to buy the Audio Technica m50's but my only worry is that they don't have enough bass based on some reviews. Thoughts and suggestions?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 BK BLACK | DJ Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 12/24/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Searching for headphones under $150USD for home use! Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another Headphone Thread around $150 Last post on 12/24/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Apparently, they have started producing them with a shorter cord and extension, just like the Ultrasone HFI-780. So you'd have to verify that you are getting the newer edition 580s from wherever you buy.
Thing about the Grados is that they are AWESOME for rock, but they will not have a lot of bass for hiphop. The HFI-580s are sort of the opposite. Definitely not as good for rock as the Grados, but excellent for hiphop, EDM, and other bass heavy genres. Better than the M50s in that regard. You will definitely notice the bass. Many people recommend them as a good alternative to Beat Studios.
If you can swing a little more money, the HFI-780s have a little more balanced sound than the HFI-580s (a little less bass impact) that will make them more suitable for a wider range of genres. If you go with the SR80i, then also order the Grado L-Cush pads (about $20 on Amazon) that come with the higher model Grado SR phones and switch them out for the default pads on the SR80i. It will increase the bass impact and the high/midrange detail, although still not the bass of the Ultrasones.
Edited by cel4145 - 12/17/12 at 10:15pm
noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! dont get ANY grados for hip hop, especially if you plan on walking around with them, first of all grados are bass light, 2nd they're open, so you wont get any isolation with them and street noise is going to seep into your music, and 3rd they're uncomfortable
for under 120 i'd look into the sony xb series, possibly the ath pro500mk2's if they sound anything like the pro700's (might want to research a bit first), the monoprice 8323's if you actually listen to the lyrics and want some bass along with that, koss portapros if you dont care about them being over ear (these have a great sound for hip hop even if they're semi open, great bass too)
i've never heard the m50's but i think from alot of the reviews i've read on here and how they compare against the pro700's they'd probably be good
I owned the M50's for several years and can say that i enjoyed the bass very much. good punch and sub bass but until i got an E7, i didnt notice the true bass potential and this may be true of many of the other headphones. the pro700 are said to have a darker sound and more bass. I cant say from experience but i know the Grado's are open back and thats not a good feature for being out in public if you really want to hear the music.
Ive read alot of reviews and user comments about ultrasone and they seem to be a very good basshead recommendation by many. i would either recommend both Audio Technica headphones or the ultrasones as the best choices
- Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 seconds ago
- › Headphones Recommendation for College Student 54 seconds ago
- › JH 16 VS JH 13 HELP~~ 58 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW - UK Engineered in-ears and over ear. Hello to one and all 1 minute ago
- › (Final Price Drop) HiFiMAN HE-300 Revision 1 with Soft Velours,... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Do I need a DAC? 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 4 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob