I'm looking for some headphones under $120 to listen to a lot of hip hop and some indie rock. I would like something with large amounts of bass but not to the point of overpowering the song. I will listen with my Iphone at my home and sometimes out and a bout so I don't want a 10 foot long cord or overly bulky design. I was about to buy the Audio Technica m50's but my only worry is that they don't have enough bass based on some reviews. Thoughts and suggestions?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 BK BLACK | DJ Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 12/24/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 12/24/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 12/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for headphones under $150USD for home use! Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another Headphone Thread around $150 Last post on 12/24/12 at 8:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Your advice on a new headphone Last post on 3/21/13 at 12:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Scott Byrer, Director of Marketing at Master & Dynamic for...
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Apparently, they have started producing them with a shorter cord and extension, just like the Ultrasone HFI-780. So you'd have to verify that you are getting the newer edition 580s from wherever you buy.
Thing about the Grados is that they are AWESOME for rock, but they will not have a lot of bass for hiphop. The HFI-580s are sort of the opposite. Definitely not as good for rock as the Grados, but excellent for hiphop, EDM, and other bass heavy genres. Better than the M50s in that regard. You will definitely notice the bass. Many people recommend them as a good alternative to Beat Studios.
If you can swing a little more money, the HFI-780s have a little more balanced sound than the HFI-580s (a little less bass impact) that will make them more suitable for a wider range of genres. If you go with the SR80i, then also order the Grado L-Cush pads (about $20 on Amazon) that come with the higher model Grado SR phones and switch them out for the default pads on the SR80i. It will increase the bass impact and the high/midrange detail, although still not the bass of the Ultrasones.
Edited by cel4145 - 12/17/12 at 10:15pm
noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! dont get ANY grados for hip hop, especially if you plan on walking around with them, first of all grados are bass light, 2nd they're open, so you wont get any isolation with them and street noise is going to seep into your music, and 3rd they're uncomfortable
for under 120 i'd look into the sony xb series, possibly the ath pro500mk2's if they sound anything like the pro700's (might want to research a bit first), the monoprice 8323's if you actually listen to the lyrics and want some bass along with that, koss portapros if you dont care about them being over ear (these have a great sound for hip hop even if they're semi open, great bass too)
i've never heard the m50's but i think from alot of the reviews i've read on here and how they compare against the pro700's they'd probably be good
I owned the M50's for several years and can say that i enjoyed the bass very much. good punch and sub bass but until i got an E7, i didnt notice the true bass potential and this may be true of many of the other headphones. the pro700 are said to have a darker sound and more bass. I cant say from experience but i know the Grado's are open back and thats not a good feature for being out in public if you really want to hear the music.
Ive read alot of reviews and user comments about ultrasone and they seem to be a very good basshead recommendation by many. i would either recommend both Audio Technica headphones or the ultrasones as the best choices
- Hip Hop headphones under $120
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 19 seconds ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 23 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 26 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser G4ME One (white version) 4 minutes ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by thatBeatsguy
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3