New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SONY XBA-4 vs new XBA-40? - Page 7

post #91 of 123
Well, 1ks are more of a indoors iem, db levels are lower and spikes aren't as harsh. Some controlled damping like Hifiman filter help tame the spikes as well.
post #92 of 123

Indoors IEMs, that's a new breed. biggrin.gif

post #93 of 123

yeah, the only issue with the EX1000 is the lack of any passive noise isolation. 

Reply
post #94 of 123
Hello, dudes! All reviews comparing between 4 and 40 I've read so far wrote basically the same, improvement on the latter from the previous w/ small signature change. But, imho, the overall sound sig is VERY different between them. There was a clear-neutral sound on all spectrum from the 4. If any, there is just a small amount of muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in a big hall. On the other hand, the 40 is SO colored w/ muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in the lobby w/ the entrance door to the hall closed. I agree w/ a_recording review on the other thread saying about the sig sound of the 40, but even his review hinted only small difference over the 4. So, I start to think either I got a defective product or something is missing in translation. Would you all please review your reviews?
post #95 of 123

I've never heard the 4 but the 40's do not sound muffle-veiled to me.  It is emphasized in bass but not overly so.  Everything else sounds quite excellent for me.  

 

I have compared the 3 to the 30 and I could not really hear any difference in sound between those two.  

post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4 View Post

Hello, dudes! All reviews comparing between 4 and 40 I've read so far wrote basically the same, improvement on the latter from the previous w/ small signature change. But, imho, the overall sound sig is VERY different between them. There was a clear-neutral sound on all spectrum from the 4. If any, there is just a small amount of muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in a big hall. On the other hand, the 40 is SO colored w/ muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in the lobby w/ the entrance door to the hall closed. I agree w/ a_recording review on the other thread saying about the sig sound of the 40, but even his review hinted only small difference over the 4. So, I start to think either I got a defective product or something is missing in translation. Would you all please review your reviews?

The 4s and 40s are extremely picky IEMs and the sound sig differ from source to source. I believe the higher the zout of the source, the less dark it is and vice versa. I have the 40s paired with the E12s and the sound is amazing and hear no muffled veil you described. I did however hear a slight u-shape sound air when paired with the fiio e11, which might explain the veil.
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by canikickit1 View Post


The 4s and 40s are extremely picky IEMs and the sound sig differ from source to source. I believe the higher the zout of the source, the less dark it is and vice versa. I have the 40s paired with the E12s and the sound is amazing and hear no muffled veil you described. I did however hear a slight u-shape sound air when paired with the fiio e11, which might explain the veil.

I dunno, but today I kinda had a revelation, I connected my XBA-4 to an old integrated stereo amplifier form Sony (TA-D505) and it sounded really hollow and metallic in the treble, the mids were gone, I would be very upset if I had paid the full MSRP and it sounded like that all the time, with other sources (zune hd, ps vita, integraded card) it sounds good.

post #98 of 123
I do not have the 4 but had a chance to listen to it at a local store. The sound was very good (to its price), though not impressed me at the time. When I saw the 40 w/ cheaper price recently, I intrigued to buy it (thinking a good deal for an updated product). Then I was "VERY IMPRESSED" by its sound (the quotes mean NEGATIVE). I remember the 1st track I listen w/ it was a classical guitar music. The strings sound so dull. When I switched to a contemporary pop-rock music, the muffled sound was more obvious. It's very different to the 4 I listened to earlier! The muffled sound is more prominent when I hear through it right after through Earsonics SM64 (multi-BA) or HiFiMAN RE-400 (dynamic). My point is that compared to other highly regarded IEMs (both multi-BA and dynamic), 40 is much more muffled.
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

I've never heard the 4 but the 40's do not sound muffle-veiled to me.  It is emphasized in bass but not overly so.  Everything else sounds quite excellent for me.  

 

I have compared the 3 to the 30 and I could not really hear any difference in sound between those two.  


Yea danny, I agree with you.  A big factor in whether or not it sounds veiled, is the source.  I'm guessing that everyone (including me) said that it was kinda dark and veiled, is because we are all using the Fiio e11.  I just changed amps to the jds c5 and holy cow, it's like night and day, freaking bright (and that's a good thing), and really clear.  Even wider soundstage than the e11 too.  In fact it was so clear, I thought the bass boost was broke.  After my ears got used to the brightness/clarity, I realized that the c5 has more/better bass than the e11 too. I still can't believe it, I'm enjoying metal on the 40's now.  Was never able to do that before. 

 

Now that the xba 40's sound more balanced, (for me anyway) I'm really second guessing my purchase of the jh16 pros now.

post #100 of 123
I agree that Sony XBA is picky to sources. I can hear the sound difference of 40 between from iPod classic (approx. 5 ohm) and from fiio E11 (0.05 ohm). The 1st is brighter while the later is darker. But, since the later is from the lower (if not lowest) output impedance device, I regard it as the true sound of 40. Then, my disappointment worsen and I start frustration
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post


Yea danny, I agree with you.  A big factor in whether or not it sounds veiled, is the source.  I'm guessing that everyone (including me) said that it was kinda dark and veiled, is because we are all using the Fiio e11.  I just changed amps to the jds c5 and holy cow, it's like night and day, freaking bright (and that's a good thing), and really clear.  Even wider soundstage than the e11 too.  In fact it was so clear, I thought the bass boost was broke.  After my ears got used to the brightness/clarity, I realized that the c5 has more/better bass than the e11 too. I still can't believe it, I'm enjoying metal on the 40's now.  Was never able to do that before. 

Now that the xba 40's sound more balanced, (for me anyway) I'm really second guessing my purchase of the jh16 pros now.

interesting indeed! I actually came up on a headstage arrow 3G and will be getting it tomorrow . Will definitely be posting my impressions. Would you say your C5 has more bass with the 40s than with the E11s?
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by canikickit1 View Post


interesting indeed! I actually came up on a headstage arrow 3G and will be getting it tomorrow . Will definitely be posting my impressions. Would you say your C5 has more bass with the 40s than with the E11s?

 

At first I thought it was weaker, but i realized that it was just really bright, giving me the perception that the bass was weak.  But upon closer listening, the thumps are alot louder, your ears can feel more bass than from the e11 as well.  Once you get used to the brightness, you realize that the bass is monstrous, rivaling that of a digizoid Z02, yet the bass doesn't leak into the mids at all, nor affect the sound.  It's safe to say that I am so satisfied with the bass that I don't even want to play with the Z02 anymore.

 

It may just be my opinion, but the JDS c5 is glorious!  It gave me brightness, clarity, and deep bass which I thought I could only do by switching iems (bought the jh16, but the xba 40 is just went from 50% to 85% awesome now.  85% because the 40's can't completely handle the bass. With bass heavy tracks, even the xba 40s distort unless you turn the volume wayy down, seriously down, or turn off bass boost.) The e11s aren't bad at all, but the c5 is just that much better (disclaimer:  its all subjective blah blah blah).


Edited by chengsta - 5/1/13 at 10:36pm
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

I have never been able to tame the savage / unnatural treble of the EX1000...

 

...I wish I could, as there are definitely elements of their sound signature I like, but - not enough for me to ignore the treble...

 

:(

 

Get the 7550 / EX800ST then :3

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4 View Post

Hello, dudes! All reviews comparing between 4 and 40 I've read so far wrote basically the same, improvement on the latter from the previous w/ small signature change. But, imho, the overall sound sig is VERY different between them. There was a clear-neutral sound on all spectrum from the 4. If any, there is just a small amount of muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in a big hall. On the other hand, the 40 is SO colored w/ muffled-veiled sound. It's like hearing a live concert in the lobby w/ the entrance door to the hall closed. I agree w/ a_recording review on the other thread saying about the sig sound of the 40, but even his review hinted only small difference over the 4. So, I start to think either I got a defective product or something is missing in translation. Would you all please review your reviews?

 

Ooh I don't know. If my review came off as saying that the difference is small then I should rewrite it. I wouldn't say it's a huge difference but it's noticeable. 

 

The thing is that it doesn't sound like you had a long time with the XBA-4 and I can tell you the XBA-4 is definitely a dark sounding earphone as well, but on some tracks it sounds quite clear. The XBA-40 is even darker because of the removal of that high frequency tinge. 

 

I would advise you to take some time to get used to the darkness of the sound though (sounds creepy) just because its still quite a detailed listen. Just get over the initial shock and give it a chance with different tracks! :3

 

Also, I wouldn't just go with the golden rule that the lower the impedance the better with the XBA-4 / 40. I quite like the sound out of my iP5 with 3ohms resistance precisely because it sounds a little lighter in tone. Think of it as a hardware EQ.

post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Get the 7550 / EX800ST then :3


Also, I wouldn't just go with the golden rule that the lower the impedance the better with the XBA-4 / 40. I quite like the sound out of my iP5 with 3ohms resistance precisely because it sounds a little lighter in tone. Think of it as a hardware EQ.

Quick question.
Which iem do think sounds best running direct out of iphone 5....

The xba 4 does sound very nice . but is there any others that sound very good as well, or awesome" smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by howihearit - 7/14/13 at 12:37am
post #105 of 123
Jds labs c5 with xba 4
headphone jack to iPhone 5
sounds great ,I'm realy liking what I'm hearing
I think I'll be very happy with this combo for a while
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: