Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › All New Zeppelin Remasters in 2013!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All New Zeppelin Remasters in 2013! - Page 2

post #16 of 34

Does anyone know the estimated price of this set?

post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Does anyone know the estimated price of this set?

Good question.

post #18 of 34

I bet it won't be cheap. I've always wondered how many copies of an album one has to have and which one does one listen to most often. Just for an example DSOTM. I had an lp, a cassette, a UK lp, an MFSL lp, a cd, an MFSL cd, a SACD.

post #19 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

I bet it won't be cheap. I've always wondered how many copies of an album one has to have and which one does one listen to most often. Just for an example DSOTM. I had an lp, a cassette, a UK lp, an MFSL lp, a cd, an MFSL cd, a SACD.

For me it's the first album and Zeppelin Four and the Song Remains The Same. These records have sentimental value as I have played them my whole life. Having a new copy with more detail just helps you hear new things, in my opinion. I don't need the whole catalog either, though it would be nice.

post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

For me it's the first album and Zeppelin Four and the Song Remains The Same. These records have sentimental value as I have played them my whole life. Having a new copy with more detail just helps you hear new things, in my opinion. I don't need the whole catalog either, though it would be nice.

 

Mine would be I, II, IV, V, VI, & the live 'The Song Remains The Same'. But 'Achilles' Last Stand' is incredible.

post #21 of 34

 I am just hopping there will be a good track of misty mountain hop. That is my all time favorite song and I can NEVER find a good recording of it. It is always too quiet and too lean. The keyboard always looses out to the drums, and nothing is balanced. 

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

 

Mine would be I, II, IV, V, VI, & the live 'The Song Remains The Same'. But 'Achilles' Last Stand' is incredible.

Ha!  LZ III is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Zep discography: gets no respect.  Gallows Pole?  Out on the Tiles? Friends?  *nervously works collar*  "I tell ya, you put out an album like that, record label pays you with a free bowl of soup!"

 

But I'm not sure what would be revealed in any new mixes.  The tapes are several generations old and not getting any younger, and they've already been remastered a few times.  Is this a case where Jimmy Page wants to buy a new castle or small country somewhere and just puts out some "re-masters" to foot the bill, knowing that all the usual suspects will pay up "for completeness"?  I'd welcome something that's genuinely new here, but I won't be first in line the day they go on sale.

 

/though I really would love a copy of "Houses of the Holy" with a bit more 3D imaging to it

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckles View Post

Ha!  LZ III is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Zep discography: gets no respect.  Gallows Pole?  Out on the Tiles? Friends?  *nervously works collar*  "I tell ya, you put out an album like that, record label pays you with a free bowl of soup!"

 

But I'm not sure what would be revealed in any new mixes.  The tapes are several generations old and not getting any younger, and they've already been remastered a few times.  Is this a case where Jimmy Page wants to buy a new castle or small country somewhere and just puts out some "re-masters" to foot the bill, knowing that all the usual suspects will pay up "for completeness"?  I'd welcome something that's genuinely new here, but I won't be first in line the day they go on sale.

 

/though I really would love a copy of "Houses of the Holy" with a bit more 3D imaging to it

 

There isn't a single led zeppelin song I don't like. I got the whole discography for free, cough, a while back, and I fell in love with each song over time. The real reason I am excited about this is because about 1 in 15 songs sound like absolute crap, and who ever did the remastering must have had and ear infection. 

 

I REALLY hope Jimmy Page's ears haven't gone bad over the years because I REALLY need this set to get the best led zeppelin experience possible. 

post #24 of 34

I kid, I kid!

 

You would not the only one who gives III short shrift.  I mean, outside of Immigrant Song, you'll rarely hear much of it on mega-corp radio. It's just such a different feel than the rest of their catalog.  But there are some great stories about III, such as the story Page tells about that has no memory of writing "Friends" .  He says that he was in his kitchen and  took a phone call from his wife telling him that she was divorcing him.  He sat down and half an hour later, Friends was finished in front of him but he didn't really remember how it happened.

 

I just don't think they have a great track record for breaking new ground with remasters, and they've had plenty of opportunities to do so.  It feels more like a cash grab than a real attempt to uncover some of the real nuances of them in their prime. I would love to have something of the quality of the Beatles or Pink Floyd remasters, but short of going back in time and really upping the quality of the gear and recording tapes they used, I just don't think there's much more to get out of the early materials.  I would love to be proven wrong, though.

 

On a completely different note, if you haven't seen it yet, take a peek at "It Might Get Loud" which features a 3-way discussion with Page, U2's Edge and Jack White about guitar, music and creating art.  It features a few jam sessions, which feel very spontaneous, and really made me like Page a whole lot more.  Actually, all 3 guys were great; I bought the Raconteurs albums after seeing Jack White talk.  Highly recommended.
 

post #25 of 34

I remember my buddy saying "if only I can put Immigrant Song on repeat". There's also the bluesy "Since I've Been Loving You".

Led Zep songs is not about like or not like. Its about which ones do I want to listen to and repeat it, be it one side or the whole album.

With the current technology, its easier to do that by creating a playlist.

post #26 of 34

I really love his dedication to vinyl as a format. Even if I'm not a huge fan of most of the stuff on his label, I buy what I do like for just that reason.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckles View Post

I bought the Raconteurs albums after seeing Jack White talk.  Highly recommended.

 

post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
My little Brother used to come in and see me getting ready for school in the mid 1970s. His best memory as an eight year old is seeing me rocking out at 8am to Zep 4. Really it was his introduction to what rock was.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I really love his dedication to vinyl as a format. Even if I'm not a huge fan of most of the stuff on his label, I buy what I do like for just that reason.

 

 

I think that out of the three guys in that movie, JW is the one who, even without fame or recording contract, would still be banging away in $10-per-set Detroit gin joint night after night just simply because he has to get music out of his system somehow.  Not a knock on the dedication or desire of either Page or Edge, but I was already a fan of Zep and U2 before seeing that movie.  Up to then, I had actually avoided almost all White Stripes and Raconteurs stuff intentionally (I always thought White Stripes was a bit contrived; what can I say?).  He's a bit of an odd bird at times for sure, but he definitely walks the walk.  Definitely respect him loads now; he just loves music.  Even better that he pushes vinyl.

post #29 of 34

LZ III kick's ass.

post #30 of 34

Hey, we are approaching the end of 2013....what the heck is jimy page doing? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › All New Zeppelin Remasters in 2013!