Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Modi USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Modi USB DAC - Page 4

post #46 of 543

I used to be a happy elf in Wichita.

post #47 of 543
What are you now? An angry elf? biggrin.gif
post #48 of 543

Hi Jason,

I'd like to try dat Schiit

Anywhere other than headphonebar a Canuck can buy from online?

post #49 of 543

Just got my Modi today.  It is going to be the filler in my bedroom setup feeding my Mjolnir > LCD-2 until I can get up the scratch for the Gungir.  So far it sounds great!  Couldn't be happier for the price and now I don't have to move my Bifrost back and forth every time I want to listen in a different room.  Every time I get a new piece of Schiit I am more and more impressed.  They are really going to have to screw things up to lose my brand loyalty!

post #50 of 543

My Magni is sitting here with an ugly Gamma 2 in a ghetto-rigged case on top of it... the Modi looks so pretty by comparison... And I have left over money from my turntable fund...

 

Has anyone got the Modi and the Gamma 2 that would care to make a comparison?

post #51 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickmonk View Post

My Magni is sitting here with an ugly Gamma 2 in a ghetto-rigged case on top of it... the Modi looks so pretty by comparison... And I have left over money from my turntable fund...

 

Has anyone got the Modi and the Gamma 2 that would care to make a comparison?

There's a reason you're saying the Gamma 2 is ugly.  Did you build it, or did someone else make it look ugly with a ghetto-rig build?  Seems a trivial thing upon which to base sound quality.

 

Let me see ... "I hate the gray color of the Modi.  I think it would sound so much better in RED."

 

Does that make a good comparison? 

post #52 of 543

Oh no, it sounds beautiful, but I got a prototype build used, and had to machine my own faceplates. Lets just say me and the mill ain't exactly best friends yet wink_face.gif The ugliness is all my doing.

 

But if the Modi can match it for performance, I'll be taking a modi/magni stack to school with me, where keeping a compact and neat/tidy desk is a permenent issue for me as is, and keeping the gamma2 at my home in my home rig.

 

Sorry for the confusion beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

There's a reason you're saying the Gamma 2 is ugly.  Did you build it, or did someone else make it look ugly with a ghetto-rig build?  Seems a trivial thing upon which to base sound quality.

 

Let me see ... "I hate the gray color of the Modi.  I think it would sound so much better in RED."

 

Does that make a good comparison? 

post #53 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoejshoe View Post


As I stated a few posts before, I am new to head-fi equipment and to the forum. I just got my first custom IEMs (Westone ES5) and was trying to decide whether to get a DAC/amp to get full benefit of my purchase. The way you talk about your products and your company helped me make up my mind; I ordered the Magni/Modi last night. I work for a software company and take pride in my work even when my management and clients don't. I will take pride in knowing I purchased a quality product from you.


I got my Magni/Modi on Monday. They look great and sound even better. The modi worked immediately with both my Mac and PC. The build quality is great and I get no buzzing with my CIEM.

 

Thanks for this amazing Schiit!

 

I will post pictures as soon as am I allowed. I guess I am too new to the forum.

post #54 of 543
Desperately awaiting the Magni/Modi to show up in Europe..
Edited by Ixion - 1/2/13 at 11:18pm
post #55 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoejshoe View Post


I got my Magni/Modi on Monday. They look great and sound even better. The modi worked immediately with both my Mac and PC. The build quality is great and I get no buzzing with my CIEM.

 

Thanks for this amazing Schiit!

 

I will post pictures as soon as am I allowed. I guess I am too new to the forum.

 

What sort of volume settings are you using with your CIEMs?

post #56 of 543

I posted my initial impressions of the Modi/Magni stack over here, if anyone was interested.

post #57 of 543
post #58 of 543

Found that my Little Dot MKIII and my Fiio E17 drive my new HE-400 well enough to pass up on getting the Magni+Modi. Was thinking about just getting the Modi, as my other DACs are a $40 Muse DAC from eBay and the E17 with LO Bypass. Wondering if it's worth it or if there's something else better in the price range. I was looking at the ODAC, but does anyone here know if the 3.5mm to RCA cable is any kind of step down from straight RCA to RCA that I'd get with the Modi?

post #59 of 543

Can anyone compare the Modi DAC to the Asus Xonar Essence STX dac that have heard both? Differences in SQ etc.? Is it worth me "upgrading" to an external amp for my work setup?

post #60 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

Found that my Little Dot MKIII and my Fiio E17 drive my new HE-400 well enough to pass up on getting the Magni+Modi. Was thinking about just getting the Modi, as my other DACs are a $40 Muse DAC from eBay and the E17 with LO Bypass. Wondering if it's worth it or if there's something else better in the price range. I was looking at the ODAC, but does anyone here know if the 3.5mm to RCA cable is any kind of step down from straight RCA to RCA that I'd get with the Modi?

JMHO, but a 3.5mm jack is always a step down.  If you're going portable, of course - 3.5mm is the way to go.  However, it's not a question of whether the jack will fail, but when.  It's a question of geometry - the contact area is so small on the circumference resulting from a 3.5mm diameter that the contacts' fatigue factor (in maintaining spring tension) and corrosion come into play rather quickly (a year or two - or a matter of months, if usage is high).

 

There's also the question of resistance.  The RCA jack is going to be more dependable in offering lower resistance over a longer period of time during use.  That affects sound quality.  RCA is simply more rugged, period.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Modi USB DAC