Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Modi USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Modi USB DAC - Page 24

post #346 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtransduction View Post

 



I use ratshack version, about $1.50 per.  Splits modi to magni and to emotiva a-100.  You definately do not want to do frequent plug changes on the modi, the connections will fail.


 



Do you notice any degradation of sound quality when using these?
post #347 of 522

None that I can discern

post #348 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward777 View Post
 

Thank you!  I will definitely keep that one in mind.

 

I can't even find many reviews for CD players online anymore.  It seems like it's really a disappearing tech, which I find sad.


It IS! All hard media is it seems. They want us to stream everything, pay them monthly, thus paying MORE money and then theyll give us lower quality media. The REALLY sad part IMO is the dying-ness of multi-channel SACDs and DVD-Audios! Oh man I LOVE my collection and which there was A LOT more. But people just dont know or dont have the money for good surround sound setups. Sad. That being said the one good thing about is you can buy music on CD all day long for VERY cheap on eBay. And once you have the CD you can of course convert it to whatever you want, FLAC, WAV (though Im not sure why you would), Apple Lossless, MP3, OGG, etc. and you only have to pay for it ONCE!

 

But yes, regarding the CD players, there are pretty much five main ones that are still out now that audiophiles looking for sanely priced units buy. They are:

  1. Onkyo C-7030
  2. Onkyo C-S5L
  3. Marantz CD5004
  4. Marantz CD6004
  5. Teac PD-H600
  6. Anything Oppo

 

2, 4, and 5 I believe are discontinued or being phased out, but you can find them still around the net and on eBay fairly easily. The Teac H600 is supposed to be the end game for non insanely priced CD transports, but I havent heard one myself. Still waiting to find a good deal on one to upgrade. Then Ill probably sell my Onkyo C-7030. Number 6 is a bit of a different beast as its really a do all disc media transport supporting all audio and video discs. I have an Oppo and LOVE it but its in my home theater setup for use with video stuff too.


Edited by ben_r_ - 1/24/14 at 9:53am
post #349 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen16 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtransduction View Post
 

 

 

I use ratshack version, about $1.50 per.  Splits modi to magni and to emotiva a-100.  You definately do not want to do frequent plug changes on the modi, the connections will fail.

 



Do you notice any degradation of sound quality when using these?


It would just lower the output voltage of the Modi which would then be compensated for by amplifier.

post #350 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


It would just lower the output voltage of the Modi which would then be compensated for by amplifier.

Any difference using the splitter like the one shown, or this type (not necessarily Monster) -

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

post #351 of 522

Or, just go with a switch? What I'm trying to do is to be able to connect my DAC to a headphone amp, a set of powered desktop speakers, or a vintage Pioneer receiver's AUX In. I would only want to use one device at a time, and want to avoid any potential loss of sound quality.

 

The switch considered -

post #352 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen16 View Post
 

Any difference using the splitter like the one shown, or this type (not necessarily Monster) -

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2


No, electrically those are pretty much exactly the same.

post #353 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen16 View Post
 

Or, just go with a switch? What I'm trying to do is to be able to connect my DAC to a headphone amp, a set of powered desktop speakers, or a vintage Pioneer receiver's AUX In. I would only want to use one device at a time, and want to avoid any potential loss of sound quality.

 

The switch considered -


Problem going this route is that any thing or circuitry in whatever switch you use it added to the signal path and very well could make the audio sound like crap, or introduce noise, or who knows. Can be a tricky game splitting audio signals.

post #354 of 522
Oh man this is long over due but I kind of checked out of head-fi for a bit with finals and all recently. Anyways, a while back I asked about how the modi would work with a usb 3.0 port and I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that helpded out smily_headphones1.gif

It turns out that I'm not even having any issues with the usb 3.0 as an output on the hp spectre 13t. (though the headphone out is atrocious)
post #355 of 522

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.x and 1.x. 

post #356 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
 

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.x and 1.x. 

 

Yes, but it's still caused problems with the Modi for some people.

post #357 of 522

I just bought my son a asgard amp with hifiman he-300 headphones. now im looking for a dac and I see that schiit is got a $99 dac, would this be a good match and is this dac any good?

post #358 of 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by valtopps View Post
 

I just bought my son a asgard amp with hifiman he-300 headphones. now im looking for a dac and I see that schiit is got a $99 dac, would this be a good match and is this dac any good?


Pretty much the most popular pair in the industry these days. From what everyone says you cant go wrong for the price.

post #359 of 522

I would experiment with USB cables (They made a difference for me).  I ended buying a Pangea .5m cable for $69.  I had a few that I already had from hard drives and the like, and though I was skeptical the Pangea Definitely made a difference.  I'm not a big fan of buying expensive cables (diminishing returns especially on low to mid tier stuff) and typically make my own, but the Pangea was a good buy and gave the music more body.

post #360 of 522

You must have had a serious issue with your old stock of USB cables.

 

I really like cables from http://www.usbfirewire.com/. You can get angled cables and short cables that you can't find anywhere else. A durable corrosion resistant gold plate and nice insulation straightens out well. I'm really happy with them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Modi USB DAC