or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 65

post #961 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

Hi guys, quick question.  Does the magni amp come with an rca cable or do you need to buy one?
Buy your own.
post #962 of 2233

thanks.

post #963 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Awesome, cheers Peter. Guess I will be ordering my Magni for my FA-003's sometime this week or so as I want a fairly transparent and neutral amp to synergise with the 003's sort of laid-back but neutral sig.

I think you will be happy. Post some impressions when you get itbeerchug.gif

post #964 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Awesome, cheers Peter. Guess I will be ordering my Magni for my FA-003's sometime this week or so as I want a fairly transparent and neutral amp to synergise with the 003's sort of laid-back but neutral sig.

I think you will be happy. Post some impressions when you get itbeerchug.gif

post #965 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

I think you will be happy. Post some impressions when you get itbeerchug.gif

Will do, most likely a review for the product page here. beerchug.gif

post #966 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post


I plug my M&M into my PC, and the digital volume control in Windows works as you would expect. According to other knowledgeable pros here on Head Fi, you might want to change the Modi's output to 24-bit / 96k Hz to prevent bit losses in the music stream to the Modi.

Will try this tonight, Thanks for the info. Can't believe how much there is to wrap your head around.. wouldn't have thought that I would have a harder time learning about HiFi than i did learning how to work on engines! haha 

post #967 of 2233

The Harrison Labs 12 dB attenuators arrived today and I plugged 'em right in to the Magni. Before, my comfortable listening volume was about 9 o'clock and it started to hurt just past 10 o'clock. I felt that the travel on the volume pot was poor and it was my only problem with the Magni. With the attenuator pair, I was able to move into about 1 o'clock for comfortable volumes, with the range between 11 and 2 o'clock or so being where I like to, and uncomfortable volumes didn't come until almost 3 o'clock. I got plenty of range out of the Magni and I did not notice any quality loss in the music, consistently plugging and unplugging to try and discern a difference in the middle of a song.

 

For reference, he's what they look like on the Magni. Used with a highly recommended Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

 

 

post #968 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

The Harrison Labs 12 dB attenuators arrived today and I plugged 'em right in to the Magni. Before, my comfortable listening volume was about 9 o'clock and it started to hurt just past 10 o'clock. I felt that the travel on the volume pot was poor and it was my only problem with the Magni. With the attenuator pair, I was able to move into about 1 o'clock for comfortable volumes, with the range between 11 and 2 o'clock or so being where I like to, and uncomfortable volumes didn't come until almost 3 o'clock. I got plenty of range out of the Magni and I did not notice any quality loss in the music, consistently plugging and unplugging to try and discern a difference in the middle of a song.

 

For reference, he's what they look like on the Magni. Used with a highly recommended Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

 

 


cool! how much did these things cost?

post #969 of 2233
How heavy is the attenuators? it doesn't seem like I can stack the m/m with those and the pyst cables, it already seems like I am bending them past their bend radius the way I have them tied up
post #970 of 2233

When my fiancee' gets back from work, I will have her assist me with some blind a/b testing.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


cool! how much did these things cost?

They're $23 from here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-244

 

I would judge them to be worth it on my initial impressions. Seem very well built, as far as I know that's a trusted brand, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

How heavy is the attenuators? it doesn't seem like I can stack the m/m with those and the pyst cables, it already seems like I am bending them past their bend radius the way I have them tied up

I don't have a scale, but they're a little lighter than a AAA battery each (just holding them both in my hand at the same time). I have heard the PYST cables are pretty tight so I wouldn't know. I got a 1 foot Blue Jeans LC-1 cable and it's plenty bendy for my needs.

post #971 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

They're $23 from here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-244

 

I would judge them to be worth it on my initial impressions. Seem very well built, as far as I know that's a trusted brand, etc.

 


funny how the un-adjustable high gain is what dissuaded me from getting the M&M combo and going for the objective one instead, when infact 23$ could have fixed the problem for me... no matter, im sure the objective combo will live up to expectation. none the less, its got to know these things exist, thanks. looking forward to the a/b test results =]

post #972 of 2233
Just a quick question. I received my Magni yesterday, and already loving the noticeable sound difference between it and my HT receiver. Do people here keep their 'phones plugged in all the time, or do you unplug them before powering the Magni On/Off?

Thanks
post #973 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller13 View Post

Just a quick question. I received my Magni yesterday, and already loving the noticeable sound difference between it and my HT receiver. Do people here keep their 'phones plugged in all the time, or do you unplug them before powering the Magni On/Off?

Thanks
I usually keep my headphones plugged into the Magni all the time. Jason/Mike mentioned in some earlier posts that they have added the necessary circuitry to ensure this will not fry people's cans.
post #974 of 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller13 View Post

Just a quick question. I received my Magni yesterday, and already loving the noticeable sound difference between it and my HT receiver. Do people here keep their 'phones plugged in all the time, or do you unplug them before powering the Magni On/Off?

Thanks

 

Magni has a protection circuit so it shouldn't cause any problems, but I always plug mine in after I've turned it on and unplug it before turning it off. I fully realize it's an unnecessary precaution, but it makes me feel better smily_headphones1.gif

post #975 of 2233

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

When my fiancee' gets back from work, I will have her assist me with some blind a/b testing.

 

If you're going to do this for real, I'd suggest measuring the output with and without the attenuator to determine if it's exactly 12 dB or whatever the real value is.  When doing the comparison, with attenuator out, compensate with -12 dB (actually, the exact value you measure) in software.  Doing the normalization by rotating the volume knob is difficult and would require redoing measurements every time; also, doing -12 dB in software simulates the alternative solution.

 

 

To be honest, -12 dB in software is not such a huge deal at all, particularly for a 24-bit DAC (though Modi's effective number of bits is unknown).  Technically using the attenuator could result in better SNR, but it depends on the DAC and probably wouldn't be noticed anyway.  Sure, 5x gain may be overkill for some people, but that's just 14 dB over no gain and is probably no issue to reduce in software unless maybe you're using very sensitive IEMs.

 

 

If anyone wants to buy (or make) attenuators, they could easily also buy (or make) new RCA cables as well that aren't so unwieldy.  Don't need to use the thickest things in the world for something like line-level audio interconnects at minimal distance.


Edited by mikeaj - 1/23/13 at 3:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier