Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 57

post #841 of 2158

could i have some help finding an electrical converter?

 

i emailed schiit asking them what i need and they replied that what i need is this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-100-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TSC5C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357745587&sr=8-7&keywords=110%2F220+converter

 

but that one wont ship to my country whereas this one does:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource®-STU-300-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/dp/B003OPF4M2/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357747463&sr=1-14&keywords=Goldsource+STU-100

 

the latter is 300 watts as opposed to 100 i think? could someone please tell me what this is - i need the name of it so i can research it on wiki. what is it? a rating of some sort? can i use a higher rating then necessary? i basically want to know what to look for in case the 2nd one wont ship either (which happens sometimes, they say they do but then you try to checkout and you get a pop up saying they dont). this is the only thing holding me back from ordering.

post #842 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post

could i have some help finding an electrical converter?

 

i emailed schiit asking them what i need and they replied that what i need is this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-100-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TSC5C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1357745587&sr=8-7&keywords=110%2F220+converter

 

but that one wont ship to my country whereas this one does:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource®-STU-300-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/dp/B003OPF4M2/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357747463&sr=1-14&keywords=Goldsource+STU-100

 

the latter is 300 watts as opposed to 100 i think? could someone please tell me what this is - i need the name of it so i can research it on wiki. what is it? a rating of some sort? can i use a higher rating then necessary? i basically want to know what to look for in case the 2nd one wont ship either (which happens sometimes, they say they do but then you try to checkout and you get a pop up saying they dont). this is the only thing holding me back from ordering.

The 300 Watt one will work fine its just more than is needed.

post #843 of 2158
Anyone try the ATH-ESW9 portables on the magni? How is the noise floor?
post #844 of 2158

Assuming your source is clean I would be more concerned about the (non) usable volume range. If your source is weak it might be ok though.

post #845 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddtfan View Post

The 300 Watt one will work fine its just more than is needed.

It only needs 7-8 watts ... a 300watt transformer would be completely unnecessary.

post #846 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

Compromising on a low budget, I've decided to order the magni and hook it up using my E10 as an external DAC (instead of ordering the Modi [for now]). I wonder how this will work out. Any thoughts?

 

I did this for a short while, it does sound slightly better than running it straight out of the E10 alone.  It didnt last long though, i just went ahead and bought the modi a week later lol

 

In order to run it like this, you will need an RCA to 3.5mm cable, which connects the magni's RCA to the E10's line out to bypass the E10's amp (as was explained to me)


Edited by thinh4u2 - 1/14/13 at 11:22am
post #847 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinh4u2 View Post

I did this for a short while, it does sound slightly better than running it straight out of the E10 alone.  It didnt last long though, i just went ahead and bought the modi a week later lol

In order to run it like this, you will need an RCA to 3.5mm cable, which connects the magni's RCA to the E10's line out to bypass the E10's amp (as was explained to me)

Haha, the head-fi hunger. What kind of changes did you hear upon switching to the modi, if you don't mind me asking?
post #848 of 2158

Excuse me if this have been answered before, but would the Magni be capable of driving the DT880 600ohm and q701  to at least, usable levels?

post #849 of 2158

You need a tiny fraction of a single milliwatt to reach 85 dB SPL, so yes, assuming your source isn't very weak you can easily reach crazy sound pressure levels. Even with lower gain amps.

post #850 of 2158
What payment options does Schiit accept? I can't find it on their website.
post #851 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullus View Post

Excuse me if this have been answered before, but would the Magni be capable of driving the DT880 600ohm and q701  to at least, usable levels?


I can only speak for the DT series of headphones, but I have been playing around with my DT990 600ohm and the Magni. It amplifies the headphone to very usable levels, not sure about the AKGs, don't have any of those.

post #852 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomDP View Post

What payment options does Schiit accept? I can't find it on their website.

I know they accept visa, but it didn't allow me to pay with AMEX - if that helps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post


Haha, the head-fi hunger. What kind of changes did you hear upon switching to the modi, if you don't mind me asking?

Well, when I received it, I was too exhausted from my on-campus intensive for school that I didn't really sit down and do an A/B comparison.  Just from my memory, I noticed that soundstage opened up a bit, slight gain in clarity, slightly more forward and lively presentation.  I know the bass response was much cleaner....but i think I am remembering that from E10 vs M&M.  I travel  a lot, so I am currently not at home to A/B it right now. I might towards the end of the week if I have time.

post #853 of 2158

It'd be cool if you can, but no pressure! It's not thaaat big of an issue, 'twas simply a curiosity.

post #854 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomDP View Post

What payment options does Schiit accept? I can't find it on their website.


I paid by Visa but there was an option to pay using PayPal. I don't remember the other credit cards they accept. If you want to be sure, just put something in your cart and start the checkout process. You'll be prompted for a payment type, at which point you can back out of ordering once you've looked at the options.

post #855 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullus View Post

Excuse me if this have been answered before, but would the Magni be capable of driving the DT880 600ohm and q701  to at least, usable levels?

Yeah I believe so. tdockweiler said they sound good with the Q's.


Edited by miceblue - 1/15/13 at 12:33am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier