Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 56

post #826 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub-Niggurath View Post

There is a difference: the rear headphone out is specced for 330Ω while the front panel out is specced for 33Ω and has a lower SNR. You should connect your headphones to the back and see if it makes a difference before you buy an amp.


already did this  they sound the same it distorts at the same levels on the front

post #827 of 2158

Sounds more like an "enhancement" or processing option (EQ?) turned on that causes digital clipping.

post #828 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post

Sounds more like an "enhancement" or processing option (EQ?) turned on that causes digital clipping.

Or he is trying to run those phones really loud biggrin.gif
post #829 of 2158

Trying to get that suppa bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Or he is trying to run those phones really loud biggrin.gif
post #830 of 2158

Compromising on a low budget, I've decided to order the magni and hook it up using my E10 as an external DAC (instead of ordering the Modi [for now]). I wonder how this will work out. Any thoughts?

post #831 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

Compromising on a low budget, I've decided to order the magni and hook it up using my E10 as an external DAC (instead of ordering the Modi [for now]). I wonder how this will work out. Any thoughts?

Should work out great.  I did this with my E17 and Asgard until I could get the funds for a Bifrost.

post #832 of 2158

This Q701 now finally sounds good with the Magni+ODAC. It actually sounds just like how it should.

All the songs i've listened to a million times haven't changed much. It doesn't add any warmth that I can detect, so if you want that, look elsewhere. I don't care.

The Q701 doesn't need any extra warmth IMO. So far I prefer it on my other amp, but that costs 3x as much. I would probably pick the Magni over the E9 though.

 

Not sure why, but out of the box it sounded awful with the Q701. Burn in? My ears playing tricks on me? Not sure, but now it's OK.

 

I still can't get the Magni to sound good with a surge protector. Just like with my other amp. Not the amp's fault. It kind of bloats the bass a tad and makes the lower mids rather too forward.

It's barely noticeable on open headphones and mostly with my DJ100 and closed headphones that are somewhat warm or bassy.

It does make the Q701 a bit fuller sounding than it should be, but not in a good way biggrin.gif So obviously I hook it straight to the wall.

 

Here's my favorites for the Magni:

 

1. HD-650

2. Sextett LP

3. Koss Pro DJ100

 

Honestly, the Q701 just sounded "off" on day one, but not so much now.

 

HD-598 sounds just like it should with the Magni too. Now I just need to go back and try the K601 again...

 

note: I upgraded to a higher quality surge protector from Tripp Lite (ISOBAR), but it made zero difference. Straight to the wall for me.

post #833 of 2158

Is this generally true of most sound card / onboard audio / PC cases?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shub-Niggurath View Post

There is a difference: the rear headphone out is specced for 330Ω while the front panel out is specced for 33Ω and has a lower SNR. You should connect your headphones to the back and see if it makes a difference before you buy an amp.

post #834 of 2158
oh man this setup looks great!!! do you suppose they will work well with the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's i just recently got??
post #835 of 2158

Where can I get the Magni in Canada?

 

If anyone's willing to sell me a used one, I'd gladly buy one.

post #836 of 2158

I'm in the Toronto area and ordered mine directly from Schiit. No problem shipping to Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchu View Post

Where can I get the Magni in Canada?

 

If anyone's willing to sell me a used one, I'd gladly buy one.


Edited by MickeyVee - 1/12/13 at 6:09pm
post #837 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

I'm in the Toronto area and ordered mine directly from Schiit. No problem shipping to Canada.

 

Roughly how long did it take for it to arrive? I'm in that area and it was shipped out Jan 8th. I'm getting antsy.

post #838 of 2158

Ordered it on Dec 17 and got it on the 31st so about 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

 

Roughly how long did it take for it to arrive? I'm in that area and it was shipped out Jan 8th. I'm getting antsy.

post #839 of 2158
mod is done pads can now be easly put on and removed sewed them.Into the original pad. Now super comfortable but have to go almost to max to fit on head.
post #840 of 2158

Hey there,

 

I tried the wall wart (230V / 50Hz) of my project headbox II - it has exactly the same output specification (16VAC / 500mA) as the wall wart coming with the magni. Works fine for me - maybe a bit less bass body than with the original PSU on a step down converter, but well, still there... :))

 

Cheers!


Edited by waxdoctor - 1/13/13 at 4:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier