Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 50

post #736 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantedview View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-o2-odac-vs-magni-modi

 

I think there was one other comparison as well and they found them very similar.

The only comparison I see is TMRaven's. Is there another?

post #737 of 2040

Purrin performed a true blind ab test with another trusted member, and posted the results on his site at changstar.

 

They utilized a switcher, so were able to pick out minute differences much better than my method, which had a 6 second lag going from combo to combo.

post #738 of 2040

I'm waiting for a detailed technical analysis. Pls point me to one if there's any!

post #739 of 2040

I've been using Magni with my HD650 and Titanium HD DAC since yesterday and... I don't notice much of a difference at all between unpowered and powered. Is this normal? I expected Magni to open up my HD650 somewhat but its stage became even narrower and more focused.

 

I'll keep using it for about a week or so to see if it changes after the burn in stages.


Edited by mknlb50 - 1/7/13 at 5:48am
post #740 of 2040

Reply to Jules post 726. My first impression was the magni is not euphonic or "warm" and is basically upfront and energetic. I have'nt done the amount of comparing you've done but your take seems about right. The Magni is less warm than my CI audio amp, and certainly less warm and more detailed than the Creek OBH 11 that the Magni replaced. It gives detail and drive beyond what might reasonably be expected for the clams. 'Philes sometimes toss around the term "analytical" and that might be the appropriate word for this Magni.


Edited by stereoguy - 1/7/13 at 6:55am
post #741 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknlb50 View Post

I've been using Magni with my HD650 and Titanium HD DAC since yesterday and... I don't notice much of a difference at all between unpowered and powered. Is this normal? I expected Magni to open up my HD650 somewhat but its stage became even narrower and more focused.

 

I'll keep using it for about a week or so to see if it changes after the burn in stages.

 

Strangely enough, I have this issue when I use any amp I have with a surge protector. The one I use is really large and has lots of noise filtering. No idea why it degrades audio so badly, but you'd think it'd just be my imagination. I can't even use my Micro Amp without it going straight to the wall.

 

If you check my earlier impressions I was complaining the DJ100 had a smaller soundstage with the Magni than my other amp. Went straight to the wall and problem fixed. It's certainly NOT the Magni's fault.

 

The soundstage with the proper recordings is really large. I've heard previous comments the Magni would suffer from a small soundstage but this is nonsense to me. The HD-650 definitely had many improvements, especially in soundstage size.


Edited by tdockweiler - 1/7/13 at 6:56am
post #742 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Strangely enough, I have this issue when I use any amp I have with a surge protector. The one I use is really large and has lots of noise filtering. No idea why it degrades audio so badly, but you'd think it'd just be my imagination. I can't even use my Micro Amp without it going straight to the wall.

 

If you check my earlier impressions I was complaining the DJ100 had a smaller soundstage with the Magni than my other amp. Went straight to the wall and problem fixed. It's certainly NOT the Magni's fault.

 

The soundstage with the proper recordings is really large. I've heard previous comments the Magni would suffer from a small soundstage but this is nonsense to me. The HD-650 definitely had many improvements, especially in soundstage size.

Thanks for the tip! Strangely I do notice a difference after plugging it straight to the wall. I will experiment more later tonight and report back. 


Edited by mknlb50 - 1/7/13 at 10:43am
post #743 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Strangely enough, I have this issue when I use any amp I have with a surge protector. The one I use is really large and has lots of noise filtering. No idea why it degrades audio so badly, but you'd think it'd just be my imagination. I can't even use my Micro Amp without it going straight to the wall.

 

If you check my earlier impressions I was complaining the DJ100 had a smaller soundstage with the Magni than my other amp. Went straight to the wall and problem fixed. It's certainly NOT the Magni's fault.

 

The soundstage with the proper recordings is really large. I've heard previous comments the Magni would suffer from a small soundstage but this is nonsense to me. The HD-650 definitely had many improvements, especially in soundstage size.

What kind of surge protector are you using? I'd like to think something like a Furman would be ok?

post #744 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantedview View Post

What kind of surge protector are you using? I'd like to think something like a Furman would be ok?

 

I think one of these days I need to invest in a higher quality one. From Furman or Tripp-Light. I got a gift card from Amazon, so I should buy one.

The one I was using was some giant home theater Belkin surge protector. It's all metal and with about 11 outlets. Got it at Sam's Club for $30 I think.

 

I couldn't really tell the difference between with and without unless it was with specific headphones. For months I complained that my DJ100 was too bassy from my Micro Amp.

Turns out it was just this surge protector. Sounded fine with the Q701. With the DJ100 it's not that subtle.

 

When I tried my DJ100 with the Magni I was using a Cyberpower brand unit. Some random one I got for cheap.

 

I have no idea what it is that causes this. Perhaps the noise filtering?

 

Someone reviewed my amp once and claimed a surge protector was robbing it of power. That seems hardly possible..I mean it probably doesn't require that much power itself.

 

I should point out that most likely nobody would notice a difference. If they did it's only with specific headphones or setups.

 

I was looking into Monster brand surge protectors for home theaters (don't ask me why). The marketing is funny. One of them claims it has a "high current" noise filter and the cheaper ones don't have this.

I can't really make sense of any of it. The cheapest method is just for me to plug it into the wall and unplug it when i'm done!

 

BTW I wonder if Astrodyne makes a power supply for the Magni. I bet if an american built one existed, it would add like $40 to the price.

post #745 of 2040

Okay, 2 weeks since i ordered i still don't have my damn RCA cables. WTF Monoprice (and USPS/UPS). I called monoprice to find where it is, and they tell me that it'll take 2 days to FIND OUT WHERE IT IS, not for it to come, but to find where it is. This is just stupid.

post #746 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

 WTF Monoprice (and USPS/UPS).

 

Hate to tell ya, but I ordered from them Tuesday Jan. 1st late night and got 3 RCA cables and a power cord on Friday the 4th in the morning.  I'm in Ohio, they're in California.

post #747 of 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

 

Hate to tell ya, but I ordered from them Tuesday Jan. 1st late night and got 3 RCA cables and a power cord on Friday the 4th in the morning.  I'm in Ohio, they're in California.

New york here. They sent it to new jersey in december, THEN to pennsylvania, THEN to mississippi, and finally to tennessee. I honestly don't know what they're thinking...

post #748 of 2040
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

New york here. They sent it to new jersey in december, THEN to pennsylvania, THEN to mississippi, and finally to tennessee. I honestly don't know what they're thinking...

I got a postcard from your Monoprice cables--they're in Vegas having a blast and thinking about heading to New Orleans in time for Mardi Gras. They said not to worry.
post #749 of 2040

My Magni makes a weird beep sound whenever I turn it on and then I turn on the music. After that it's smooth sailing. Anyone else experiencing this?

post #750 of 2040
5 second relay click?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier