Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 16

post #226 of 2154

Just ordered the Magni + Modi stack. This is my first venture into the schiit world, hoping they do well powering my HD650's. Current set up is my JDS labs C421 direct from my Retina MBP. So adding a DAC should yield good results. The shipping up to Canada is gonna make for a killer wait. Don't expect to see anything till after christmas but i can always dream :) 

post #227 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The earlier Schiit amp's killed various users headphones. It's a problem that Jason fixed later on.

Do tell. I've had the Valhalla (since sold) and the Asgard, which I've been using for several years now. Zero issues. The current Schiit lineup is pretty much tried and true and there's no reason to believe that the Magni will be any different. Their products are well regarded here. I'd say that Schiit is no longer an issue.
Edited by swmtnbiker - 12/17/12 at 5:33pm
post #228 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post


Haha thanks I've done quite a bit of research and came up concluding that q701s fit me better than the m100s...this amp comes in because I'm not sure if the e11 is enough to power it ...
Portability isn't too big of a deal so whatever lol

Alright man! Hope you enjoy your lineup. Nice picture btw ;D few more months until the next one. 

post #229 of 2154
Thread Starter 
Rockin' the Modi+Magni with LCD-2's and HD650's now. Positive first impressions--no shortage of power here, brightens up the HD650 more than I expected. Not resolving at the level of the Mjolnir+Gungnir--ahh schiit. wink.gif. For $200--looks like a winner. Some critical listening and comparisons to come.



post #230 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

Rockin' the Modi+Magni with LCD-2's and HD650's now. Positive first impressions--no shortage of power here, brightens up the HD650 more than I expected. Not resolving at the level of the Mjolnir+Gungnir--ahh schiit. wink.gif. For $200--looks like a winner. Some critical listening and comparisons to come.

Sexilicious. That looks like an omega headphone stand from iforgotwhatthecompanyiscalled. Last time I checked somewhere it was ~56 + T_T

 

Edit: was talking about the over all setup :p but the stand piqued my interest. DAC/amp combo looks too sexy to resist. Oh, do the interconnects come w/ the combo, or are they bought separately (schiit's cables were red, yours look black)?


Edited by MrViolin - 12/17/12 at 6:01pm
post #231 of 2154
Thread Starter 
Headphone stand was $40 shipped on the bay. Interconnects are not supplied--the margin has got to be really thin on this Schiit.
post #232 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

Do tell. I've had the Valhalla (since sold) and the Asgard, which I've been using for several years now. Zero issues. The current Schiit lineup is pretty much tried and true and there's no reason to believe that the Magni will be any different. Their products are well regarded here. I'd say that Schiit is no longer an issue.
DefQon is overstating the issue a bit (tho i am sure those few who were effected would disagree). When the Lyr 1st began shipping, there was no power-on delay relay built in. Some very sensitive headphones were damaged when they were left plugged in during power up. In response, Schiit added a power-on relay to eliminate any possible surge damage from the amp. I have one of the very early Lyr's...pre relay. I've never had a problem, but I primarily use it with LCD-2's. if I use it with Grados, I simply make sure to remove the headphones when I power it up.
post #233 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post

DefQon is overstating the issue a bit (tho i am sure those few who were effected would disagree). When the Lyr 1st began shipping, there was no power-on delay relay built in. Some very sensitive headphones were damaged when they were left plugged in during power up. In response, Schiit added a power-on relay to eliminate any possible surge damage from the amp. I have one of the very early Lyr's...pre relay. I've never had a problem, but I primarily use it with LCD-2's. if I use it with Grados, I simply make sure to remove the headphones when I power it up.

So the problem was isolated to the early production Lyr?
post #234 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

Headphone stand was $40 shipped on the bay. Interconnects are not supplied--the margin has got to be really thin on this Schiit.

Thanks man :D

post #235 of 2154

Jason says they recommend "50-100 hours" of burn-in time for the Magni.

 

So, it will be another couple of days before I can give a final review.

post #236 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart View Post

Jason says they recommend "50-100 hours" of burn-in time for the Magni.

 

So, it will be another couple of days before I can give a final review.

 

Wow, really looking forward to the "final" review.


Edited by Hooster - 12/17/12 at 7:55pm
post #237 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 

wow, really looking forward to the "final" review.

+1 x2 
MAN. THD is lower on the magni than the asgard, but iono if that actually helps. Hope someone can do a review on magni/modi vs asgard/bifrost

 

Edit: not sure what total harmonic distortion is though thus iono what it'd do :s


Edited by MrViolin - 12/17/12 at 7:50pm
post #238 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post


DefQon is overstating the issue a bit (tho i am sure those few who were effected would disagree). When the Lyr 1st began shipping, there was no power-on delay relay built in. Some very sensitive headphones were damaged when they were left plugged in during power up. In response, Schiit added a power-on relay to eliminate any possible surge damage from the amp. I have one of the very early Lyr's...pre relay. I've never had a problem, but I primarily use it with LCD-2's. if I use it with Grados, I simply make sure to remove the headphones when I power it up.

I'm not overstating nothing, I watched closely to those threads and watched people get banned that chimed in with their opinion's and some Schiit bashing. The problem was the first initial release of the Lyr and one person I know of had it happen to their HD650's on the Asgard. What's even funny is that even after the relay was installed on in-production models thanks to Jason, their was still a few that had their can's killed, unusual it definitely was. For the record, don't say that I'm overstating the issue a bit, if you had an extremely expensive headphone which was killed due to a large DC offcharge the driver's can handle when powering on/off would you had been letting it go past as a small problem? Don't forget there were other's affected that are not part of the Head-fi forum. Not to mention sensitivity has little play into why they were killed by the Lyr or whatever when they work fine with other headphone amp's. 

post #239 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

So the problem was isolated to the early production Lyr?
That's the only time I ever heard of it.
post #240 of 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post


So the problem was isolated to the early production Lyr?

 

I already explained in our PM to prevent any further complications and showed you the threads and physical evidence of what was happening at the time, yes the problem started / initiated on early production Lyr's (or Asgards ? ). But there were still a few people that had the same problems after the relay's were installed. 


Edited by DefQon - 12/17/12 at 8:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier