Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 146

post #2176 of 2183

Hi all...I just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's for portable use with my iPod Classic but decided to give them a whirl on my Modi/Magni stack.  Man these phones sound terrific, so much so that they are permanently mated to this combo (except when I'm on the go with my iPod).

post #2177 of 2183

The 3.5mm out on my laptop died just before my three month internship abroad. Instead of going cheap I figured the Schiit stack would be a nice investment for an anticipated investment in a full-sized headphone. During this internship I will only have acces to my IEM's, the HiFiMAN RE-400. Will these work (well) with the Schiit stack?

post #2178 of 2183
Yes!
post #2179 of 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appeltaart View Post
 

The 3.5mm out on my laptop died just before my three month internship abroad. Instead of going cheap I figured the Schiit stack would be a nice investment for an anticipated investment in a full-sized headphone. During this internship I will only have acces to my IEM's, the HiFiMAN RE-400. Will these work (well) with the Schiit stack?

 

Yeah, they'll work fine. You may want to turn the volume down on your computer though, as the Magni has quite a bit of power.

 

What I'd recommend is to run the Modi in 24 bit mode and then turn the volume down on your computer until you can actually turn the Magni up or down without blowing out your ears. From my experiments the M&M's noise floor (especially in 24 bit mode) is low enough that you still shouldn't get any noise.

post #2180 of 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post
 

 

Yeah, they'll work fine. You may want to turn the volume down on your computer though, as the Magni has quite a bit of power.

 

What I'd recommend is to run the Modi in 24 bit mode and then turn the volume down on your computer until you can actually turn the Magni up or down without blowing out your ears. From my experiments the M&M's noise floor (especially in 24 bit mode) is low enough that you still shouldn't get any noise.

Or your could always get those RCA volume attenuators I saw someone post somewhere in the thread when dealing with channel imbalance in their IEMs.

 

I wish someone would just create a gain switch mod for the Magni (No, I don't feel like buying the Asgard 2, it won't match my Modi and it's desk consuming.)

 

Edit: Actually I'd think about the Asgard 2 if there was a Modi Case mod to make it look like the Bifrost (obviously not close enough where it'd be mistaken for one but just some way to put it in a case the size of the Bifrost/Asgard 2


Edited by TsukiNick - 10/27/14 at 6:12pm
post #2181 of 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab initio View Post

 

-ATH AD700: needs -9 dB gain, therefore set software volume to -19 dB

 

 

I have a Magni + Modi optical combo with ATH AD700's hooked up to a soundblaster Z. 

How do I setup this software volume to -19db ?

 

This is way over my head and I was hoping that someone could dumb it down a little for me.

post #2182 of 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by domoaligato View Post
 

 

I have a Magni + Modi optical combo with ATH AD700's hooked up to a soundblaster Z. 

How do I setup this software volume to -19db ?

 

This is way over my head and I was hoping that someone could dumb it down a little for me.

 

I think after about 4 hours of google foo I found the answer to my own question.

 

Thanks!

final edit# 2 this is a much better page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586490/approximating-headphone-volume-output-db


Edited by domoaligato - 11/6/14 at 11:07am
post #2183 of 2183

Anybody got any experience with how this sounds with a pair of ATH-AD900? Currently they're running out of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recording interface and I'm happy with the sound, but would like to be happier. Would like to pair it with a Modi, ideally.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier