One more thing if your headphones end in a 3.5mm (1/8") tip you will need a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter to use the magni
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSchiit Magnitagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- HE400+Magni/modi combo Last post on 9/21/14 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- High-end Headphone Decision Last post on 9/26/14 at 9:26am in High-end Audio Forum
- Buying Creative Sound Blaster Z for optical out use only Last post on 9/17/14 at 3:19pm in Computer Audio
- Optimizing Audio Quality Last post on 8/17/14 at 5:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 144
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Depending on your source, it means that if you turn it up all the way you'll probably fry your headphones and go deaf.
Seriously, that's a lot of power for most cans outside of the HE6.
Well I just tried the Magni for the first time. I don't know why I had any doubts about it powering my 70ohms. With everything at full volume on the computer, I can't even turn the volume on the Magni past 9 o'clock without it being too loud. Extremely powerful amp. Like it so far!
I use my Magni to drive cans from 32 ohms to 250 ohms, and they all work fine. I can get ear-bleeding volume levels from the Magni, even with the 250 ohm cans. So 70 ohms would be just fine.
I got a Magni to tide me over while troubleshooting a Burson Soloist. Now that the Soloist is up and running, I think I would have a very difficult time distinguishing between them in a blind or double-blind scenario.
Except the Magni is capable of more output level to the He-560's and Alpha Dogs.
Very, very impressed, to say the least.
Am using the Magni more nowadays to drive my HE-500 despite having the Mjolnir. I somehow found the MJ to be smoother sounding and didn't sound aggressive enough for some of my metal recordings..
Got my Magni/Modi yesterday in the mail. Mostly based on comments here (I trust this site - seems to have the most folks who know headphones). And I've been to a head-fi meet and was VERY impressed with the folks there.
Anyway, I probably will give a better review once I've spent more time with them and done more A/B comparisons. But for now, here goes...
I got the M/M with the PYST RCA cables. Prior to the M/M my go to phones are some ADL H118's with the ADL GT40 USB DAC + amp. I didn't buy the M/M's to replace the ADL's, but rather to mate with some AKG K701's for work. However, I have been trying them side-by-side at home, including using the H118's with the M/M.
Overall, I'm not finding a big "winner" between the ADL GT40 vs. M/M. I may notice a difference later, but for now both are very good and that's a compliment to Schiit as the ADL GT40 costs a few times the M/M.
LIke I said more details later once I've spent more time with them...
For now a couple observations;
- DO NOT USE a cheap/long USB cable with the M/M. I already had a 10 foot fairly cheap USB cable to the ADL setup, so at first I just swapped the M/M. Don't do that! they sounded awful, and confused both Windows and Linux drivers. I swapped for a better/shorter cable with a ceramic button inductor and everything got MUCH better. The ADL's don't care about the USB Cable and sound the same with either cable.
- I haven't read every post, but has anyone figured out what are the orange lights inside the Magni?
- I also tried just the Modi with my tube amp (a DIY EL84 SE amp with some nice iron from Transcendar) and Dynaco A25's. I also call this setup my "headphones" as the whole thing right is behind me on a shelf in my office and pointed at my head, so I'm listening "near field", which is pretty much like headphones at times. Also sounds quite good.
Long term I'm going to swap out the Magni for a DIY OTL tube headphone amp, but I need to finish building it, so the Magni will get a lot of use before then - projects go pretty slow around here.
They're a functional part of the circuit; I'm sure Jason could answer definitively, but I think they're for biasing the output or something (I'm not an EE, and it's been a while since I saw the answer, so I'm likely wrong on their specific function).
quick question why do some of you say make sure the volume of the pc is at 100%? I have it at 20 and 9 o'clock is plenty loud for everything but games. Wouldn't 100 blow my ear drums or am I missing something?
- Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
- › Band Name Game II 49 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 1 minute ago
- › I have $1000 for audio in my new computer build. Is this my best... 1 minute ago
- › What are the best budget dynamic/BA hybrid IEMs? 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 3 minutes ago
- › New sound card advice 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Which Upgrade for Tech Dummy 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by vaziyetu
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)