One more thing if your headphones end in a 3.5mm (1/8") tip you will need a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter to use the magni
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSchiit Magnitagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Want to improve sound at work Last post on 8/13/14 at 2:07am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SHORT AND SWEET! Last post on 6/30/14 at 1:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- JDS O2 + ODAC with my AKG K550 Last post on 6/25/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- linux setup with magni Last post on 6/20/14 at 12:05am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Can you plug speakers (av40) into a headphone amp (schiit magni)? Last post on 6/13/14 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 144
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Depending on your source, it means that if you turn it up all the way you'll probably fry your headphones and go deaf.
Seriously, that's a lot of power for most cans outside of the HE6.
Well I just tried the Magni for the first time. I don't know why I had any doubts about it powering my 70ohms. With everything at full volume on the computer, I can't even turn the volume on the Magni past 9 o'clock without it being too loud. Extremely powerful amp. Like it so far!
I use my Magni to drive cans from 32 ohms to 250 ohms, and they all work fine. I can get ear-bleeding volume levels from the Magni, even with the 250 ohm cans. So 70 ohms would be just fine.
I got a Magni to tide me over while troubleshooting a Burson Soloist. Now that the Soloist is up and running, I think I would have a very difficult time distinguishing between them in a blind or double-blind scenario.
Except the Magni is capable of more output level to the He-560's and Alpha Dogs.
Very, very impressed, to say the least.
Am using the Magni more nowadays to drive my HE-500 despite having the Mjolnir. I somehow found the MJ to be smoother sounding and didn't sound aggressive enough for some of my metal recordings..
Got my Magni/Modi yesterday in the mail. Mostly based on comments here (I trust this site - seems to have the most folks who know headphones). And I've been to a head-fi meet and was VERY impressed with the folks there.
Anyway, I probably will give a better review once I've spent more time with them and done more A/B comparisons. But for now, here goes...
I got the M/M with the PYST RCA cables. Prior to the M/M my go to phones are some ADL H118's with the ADL GT40 USB DAC + amp. I didn't buy the M/M's to replace the ADL's, but rather to mate with some AKG K701's for work. However, I have been trying them side-by-side at home, including using the H118's with the M/M.
Overall, I'm not finding a big "winner" between the ADL GT40 vs. M/M. I may notice a difference later, but for now both are very good and that's a compliment to Schiit as the ADL GT40 costs a few times the M/M.
LIke I said more details later once I've spent more time with them...
For now a couple observations;
- DO NOT USE a cheap/long USB cable with the M/M. I already had a 10 foot fairly cheap USB cable to the ADL setup, so at first I just swapped the M/M. Don't do that! they sounded awful, and confused both Windows and Linux drivers. I swapped for a better/shorter cable with a ceramic button inductor and everything got MUCH better. The ADL's don't care about the USB Cable and sound the same with either cable.
- I haven't read every post, but has anyone figured out what are the orange lights inside the Magni?
- I also tried just the Modi with my tube amp (a DIY EL84 SE amp with some nice iron from Transcendar) and Dynaco A25's. I also call this setup my "headphones" as the whole thing right is behind me on a shelf in my office and pointed at my head, so I'm listening "near field", which is pretty much like headphones at times. Also sounds quite good.
Long term I'm going to swap out the Magni for a DIY OTL tube headphone amp, but I need to finish building it, so the Magni will get a lot of use before then - projects go pretty slow around here.
They're a functional part of the circuit; I'm sure Jason could answer definitively, but I think they're for biasing the output or something (I'm not an EE, and it's been a while since I saw the answer, so I'm likely wrong on their specific function).
quick question why do some of you say make sure the volume of the pc is at 100%? I have it at 20 and 9 o'clock is plenty loud for everything but games. Wouldn't 100 blow my ear drums or am I missing something?
- Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables just now
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 3 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 23 seconds ago
- › I need help choosing headphones? 46 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-400 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 2 minutes ago
- › Taket H2 + Megahertz amp dedicate (combo) 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 upgrade? HELP (urgent) 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)