Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 125

post #1861 of 2131

I've been thinking of buying an amp, and I would like to know if it is possible to run this amp through RCA -> USB?

and also how does the modi/magni compared to the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII and JDS's C5?

I know I'm making a comparison of an portable amp to a desktop amp, but I would like to know how this 2 products compare.


Edited by ChainRazer - 10/21/13 at 9:13pm
post #1862 of 2131

just ordered the MM stack! cant wait. 

 

anyone tried these with SE425s or SRH940s? these 2 are what i have now and i cant wait to hear how different they would sound to my current e17. the MM stack should be with me in 3 weeks still sad to say since im importing them and just having a friend bring them over to me.

 

should also be upgrading to HE-500s or SRH1840s come christmas! exciting!

post #1863 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

Soooo...

 

My Schiit Magni seems to have develop noise/static over time... It's really bad near 9 to 12 o clock which is the setting I usually use. Sometimes if I just move it a tiny bit, it goes away. Other times, static creeps through. I thought it was my cell phone at first but that isn't it.

 

Is there a fix for this? (i.e. is this cause by dust or things like that?)

Is this covered under warranty by any chance?!

 

I love the Magni but this is really starting to get on my nerves now.!

 

 

Thanks.


Could it be the potentiometer?
post #1864 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 

I've been thinking of buying an amp, and I would like to know if it is possible to run this amp through RCA -> USB?

and also how does the modi/magni compared to the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII and JDS's C5?

I know I'm making a comparison of an portable amp to a desktop amp, but I would like to know how this 2 products compare.

 

Not sure what you mean with RCA -> USB; you'll need to hook up an analog source to the Magni through its RCA inputs, so you'll need either a DAC if using a computer or a headphone jack to RCA cable.

 

I did not have the M&M at the same time as the Leckerton, but I have owned both. As an amp the Magni is a good bit more powerful, and both have very low noise floors. As a DAC over USB the Modi should be a good bit better. I never had any complaint with the Leckerton's USB implementation, but others have reported that it's the weakest part of the UHA-6S.MKII. Alternately, if your computer has optical out then I'd recommend using that with the Leckerton, at which point it quite possibly will be as good or better than the Modi.

 

Sorry I can't go more specific, but unfortunately I didn't have them at the same time (or with the same cans).

post #1865 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post
 

 

Not sure what you mean with RCA -> USB; you'll need to hook up an analog source to the Magni through its RCA inputs, so you'll need either a DAC if using a computer or a headphone jack to RCA cable.

 

I did not have the M&M at the same time as the Leckerton, but I have owned both. As an amp the Magni is a good bit more powerful, and both have very low noise floors. As a DAC over USB the Modi should be a good bit better. I never had any complaint with the Leckerton's USB implementation, but others have reported that it's the weakest part of the UHA-6S.MKII. Alternately, if your computer has optical out then I'd recommend using that with the Leckerton, at which point it quite possibly will be as good or better than the Modi.

 

Sorry I can't go more specific, but unfortunately I didn't have them at the same time (or with the same cans).


Hmm... I'm leaning towards the Leckerton at the moment.

But I think it's fine as long as it can drives the HD650 and the K702

and yes, I do have optical output in my desktop

post #1866 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 


Hmm... I'm leaning towards the Leckerton at the moment.

But I think it's fine as long as it can drives the HD650 and the K702

and yes, I do have optical output in my desktop

 

It should be able to drive them to reasonable levels; you may want to also post in the Leckerton thread to get others' opinions as well though :)

post #1867 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post
 

 

It should be able to drive them to reasonable levels; you may want to also post in the Leckerton thread to get others' opinions as well though :)


I'll do that too :)

Thanks for your input though.

post #1868 of 2131

I received my Magni today. I have the same scratchy sound from the pot. The scratchy sound is from around 10 to 5 in the right channel. I tried different power outets but that did not help. I have DT990 premium headphones. I also tried turning the pot 3-4 times all the way from left to right (with power off) . Still the scratching sound is there.

 

Any more suggestions? I don't want to replace the cable just for this as I have used the headphones for about a year with great care. I am not using an extension cable btw.

 

Edit- I also moved it away from Speakers, desktop amp, laptop computer but no change in scratching. 

 

Maybe it's a bad batch? I saw couple of posts on the internet regarding scratchy sound.


Edited by metaldood - 10/23/13 at 7:25pm
post #1869 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
 

I received my Magni today. I have the same scratchy sound from the pot. The scratchy sound is from around 10 to 5 in the right channel. I tried different power outets but that did not help. I have DT990 premium headphones. I also tried turning the pot 3-4 times all the way from left to right (with power off) . Still the scratching sound is there.

 

Any more suggestions? I don't want to replace the cable just for this as I have used the headphones for about a year with great care. I am not using an extension cable btw.

 

Edit- I also moved it away from Speakers, desktop amp, laptop computer but no change in scratching. 

 

Maybe it's a bad batch? I saw couple of posts on the internet regarding scratchy sound.

 

Have you tried a better shielded interconnect cable or a surge protector with filtering?

I had the Magni and I got interference with my Tony Bennett headphone due to the headphone cable being poorly shielded. What the heck?!

Radioshack cables seem to have good shielding and so do the Monoprice thick cables.

Mogami for me seems to have the best and that's why I like it.


Edited by tdockweiler - 10/23/13 at 7:45pm
post #1870 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

Have you tried a better shielded interconnect cable or a surge protector with filtering?

I had the Magni and I got interference with my Tony Bennett headphone due to the headphone cable being poorly shielded. What the heck?!

Radioshack cables seem to have good shielding and so do the Monoprice thick cables.

Mogami for me seems to have the best and that's why I like it.

I tried with a Belkin surge protector and other wall outlets across the apartment.

I tried standalone Magni with just the power and headphone and did not connect any DAC or Computer.

I tried moving "away" from cellphone and wifi router, although they are already in the other room.

 

I have to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter as the DT990 originally are 3.5mm.  That adapter came with headphones.

 

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0002ZPFD0 similar to this.

post #1871 of 2131
This is my first full size amp, and I found it too loud with my q701 with the 3 meter cable, I could barely get past 9 o'clock without it being too loud.. On a lark I tried the 6 meter cable and it sound fantastic, I have a lot more control on a lower listening level. I can go to 11 o'clock before it becomes unbearable.

Is this a normal feature of the longer cable? I guess it has more resistance. I ordered a 75 ohm resistor adapter, but won't really be needing it with this can anymore, but hopefully will make my other cans usable.
post #1872 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan818 View Post

This is my first full size amp, and I found it too loud with my q701 with the 3 meter cable, I could barely get past 9 o'clock without it being too loud.. On a lark I tried the 6 meter cable and it sound fantastic, I have a lot more control on a lower listening level. I can go to 11 o'clock before it becomes unbearable.

Is this a normal feature of the longer cable? I guess it has more resistance. I ordered a 75 ohm resistor adapter, but won't really be needing it with this can anymore, but hopefully will make my other cans usable.

 

Personally I've never had a cable make that much difference in the output. Then again I haven't tried a bunch of them either. But I'd sooner believe one of those cables has a problem. Which one, is an interesting question. I guess those cans come with two cables, apparently the longer one works better for you. I don't know if there's an AKG forum for those cans, but if so, maybe you can ask someone in that forum if their 3 meter cables do something similar.

 

Those cans are ~62 ohms. My Sony MDR 7506's are about the same impedance, and I have no issues running mine on the Magni. I also didn't raise the volume over 11 o'clock or so, but honestly I'm not sure why that'd be an issue. As long as you can find something you enjoy within the working range of the device, I'd call that acceptable.

post #1873 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
 

I received my Magni today. I have the same scratchy sound from the pot. The scratchy sound is from around 10 to 5 in the right channel. I tried different power outets but that did not help. I have DT990 premium headphones. I also tried turning the pot 3-4 times all the way from left to right (with power off) . Still the scratching sound is there.

 

Any more suggestions? I don't want to replace the cable just for this as I have used the headphones for about a year with great care. I am not using an extension cable btw.

 

Edit- I also moved it away from Speakers, desktop amp, laptop computer but no change in scratching. 

 

Maybe it's a bad batch? I saw couple of posts on the internet regarding scratchy sound.

 

Well, I'm personally curious why some think that scratchy sounds from a volume control could be related to anything other than a bad volume control. Be that as it may, I would call or email Jason at Schiit and tell him you've got a bad volume pot. I'd bet he would arrange for a replacement unit immediately.

 

It's not uncommon for even the best of components to go bad now and then, even when the item is brand new. It is kind of rare, but it happens.

post #1874 of 2131

I've just bought the magni + modi (haven't received them yet). The problem is that I have sensitive IEMs (Heir audio 4.Ai => 25 Ohm). How can I get a better volume control ? do you think that an attenuator could make a difference ?

 

http://www.ekmpowershop16.com/ekmps/shops/rothwellaudio/in-line-attenuators-2-p.asp

 

P.S: I know the magni is not for IEM but I'll get something like he-500 later. Thank's

post #1875 of 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl4dimir View Post
 

I've just bought the magni + modi (haven't received them yet). The problem is that I have sensitive IEMs (Heir audio 4.Ai => 25 Ohm). How can I get a better volume control ? do you think that an attenuator could make a difference ?

 

http://www.ekmpowershop16.com/ekmps/shops/rothwellaudio/in-line-attenuators-2-p.asp

 

P.S: I know the magni is not for IEM but I'll get something like he-500 later. Thank's

I bought a 75ohm resistor adapter for the same effect. Will post results when i get it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier