Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier - Page 69

post #1021 of 2158

Concerned to hear about all these Magni issues, attenuators, etc.

 

I ordered my M/M stack today as a second listening station.

They will be paired with LCD2 R1's

 

My other stack is a Bifrost and Lyr with LCD2 R2's

Vintage tubes.

 

I originally went big on the second stack with a Lyr and a backordered Gungnir.

Today, I tired of waiting for the Gungnir and decided to "go small"

I sent back the unused Lyr and cancelled the Gungnir.

 

My question.

Is anyone using the M/M with LCD2's ?

 

I am not liking what I am reading in this thread.

I usually subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" philosophy.

post #1022 of 2158
Defiant00 i think did a comparison of modi/magni to asgard/bifrost with lcd2 and found them very similar. Or maybe it was tmraven...
post #1023 of 2158
Defiant00 i think did a comparison of modi/magni to asgard/bifrost with lcd2 and found them very similar. Or maybe it was tmraven...
post #1024 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by peepr View Post

Defiant00 i think did a comparison of modi/magni to asgard/bifrost with lcd2 and found them very similar. Or maybe it was tmraven...
That's encouraging

Although I peeked and Defiant00 has the M/M up for sale.
post #1025 of 2158
He said thr A/B combo was just a little better and didnt need to have two sets around. FWIW i am using magni with a pair of mad dogs and it sounds incredible.
post #1026 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by peepr View Post

He said thr A/B combo was just a little better and didnt need to have two sets around. FWIW i am using magni with a pair of mad dogs and it sounds incredible.

Many thanks
For my application I like the small size and the USB powered Modi, even though Optical is my preference.
post #1027 of 2158

anyone use a xonar dx with the magni?

wondering how these 2 would pair up

post #1028 of 2158
I have to keep my expectations in check.

It's not going to come close to a Lyr with vintage tubes.
Sublime
post #1029 of 2158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Concerned to hear about all these Magni issues, attenuators, etc.

I ordered my M/M stack today as a second listening station.
They will be paired with LCD2 R1's

My other stack is a Bifrost and Lyr with LCD2 R2's
Vintage tubes.

I originally went big on the second stack with a Lyr and a backordered Gungnir.
Today, I tired of waiting for the Gungnir and decided to "go small"
I sent back the unused Lyr and cancelled the Gungnir.

My question.
Is anyone using the M/M with LCD2's ?

I am not liking what I am reading in this thread.
I usually subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" philosophy.

I don't think the LCD2.2 is a good match with the Magni and Modi. Keep in mind that my point of reference is the Mjolnir (or Lyr) with the Gungnir. The M&M are clearly limiting factors feeding the LCD2.2--not to say it sounds bad, but it's really held back. Other people are just fine with the M&M/LCD2, so it doesn't hurt to see what you think.
post #1030 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by peepr View Post

He said thr A/B combo was just a little better and didnt need to have two sets around. FWIW i am using magni with a pair of mad dogs and it sounds incredible.

 

Basically this, and all my testing was with the LCD-2s. As far as Schiit amps go I actually prefer solid state, so Asgard is my favorite (haven't heard the Mjolnir yet) with Magni right behind it, mainly for aesthetic and a better volume control. I like the Lyr too, but its sound signature just wasn't really for me (the tubes I most preferred ended up having it sounding like the Asgard).

 

I actually think the bigger difference is between the DACs, and honestly with both over USB I'd say even those are 90%+ the same.

 

The M&M is really quite remarkable for the price, and I like it a lot with my LCD-2s, I just don't have a need for multiple setups so it's been sold.

post #1031 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpking View Post

Talking about price - in Australia the retailer here has just listed the magni price... It's the same as the O2 at $189 AUD.
 

Dang, poor Aussies :( Could you see if Jason and co would ship one overseas?

post #1032 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


I don't think the LCD2.2 is a good match with the Magni and Modi. Keep in mind that my point of reference is the Mjolnir (or Lyr) with the Gungnir. The M&M are clearly limiting factors feeding the LCD2.2--not to say it sounds bad, but it's really held back. Other people are just fine with the M&M/LCD2, so it doesn't hurt to see what you think.

Barry,

Thanks for the opinion.  I'm keeping my expectations at a realistic level and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  There are tradeoff's and in this case it's cash. Not Johnny, although I will play "When the Man Comes Around".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

 

Basically this, and all my testing was with the LCD-2s. As far as Schiit amps go I actually prefer solid state, so Asgard is my favorite (haven't heard the Mjolnir yet) with Magni right behind it, mainly for aesthetic and a better volume control. I like the Lyr too, but its sound signature just wasn't really for me (the tubes I most preferred ended up having it sounding like the Asgard).

 

I actually think the bigger difference is between the DACs, and honestly with both over USB I'd say even those are 90%+ the same.

 

The M&M is really quite remarkable for the price, and I like it a lot with my LCD-2s, I just don't have a need for multiple setups so it's been sold.

Def,

Your's is another opinion I respect.  Makes sense as to why you moved the M&M out.   I'm glad you purchased the set and reviewed them.  Again, while keeping expectations in check, I'm encouraged by your comments about pairing with LDC2's.

post #1033 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

Barry,
Thanks for the opinion.  I'm keeping my expectations at a realistic level and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  There are tradeoff's and in this case it's cash. Not Johnny, although I will play "When the Man Comes Around".

Def,
Your's is another opinion I respect.  Makes sense as to why you moved the M&M out.   I'm glad you purchased the set and reviewed them.  Again, while keeping expectations in check, I'm encouraged by your comments about pairing with LDC2's.

Thanks! Honestly, as long as you keep the price in mind I think you're going to enjoy them quite a bit.
post #1034 of 2158
With regards to the buzzing via rca connections on my cable box i tested it on my blu ray player and got the same noises. I went ahead and ordered a little ground loop isolater like people use for automotive audio setups. Will test with this next week. I am hopeful it can eliminate this issue.
post #1035 of 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post

btw:

 

B&H has them for $106

That's a great price.

 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=379136

 

I like the looks of that one ...  Though I wonder now about stacking -- can the Magni go on top of this, or the other way around?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier